Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Yet another portable mode / file types page thread (Read 11151 times) previous topic - next topic

Yet another portable mode / file types page thread

where the heck did the File Types option go from the Preferences dialog??
now i can't set my audio files to queue at the end of my Testing playlist... guess it's back to the 0.9.5.5 for me!
why the hell do people fix something that ain't broken???

Reply #1
Don't install in Portable mode. This has been answered several times.
Windows 10 Pro x64 // foobar2000 1.3.10

Reply #2
Don't install in Portable mode. This has been answered several times.

Hm, interesting. I haven't noticed this so far, but yeah, the file types menu has disappeared. Is there any way to make a portable foobar make its associations? I always use it in portable mode even though foobar is the main music player on my system - I like to keep everything independent from the core system which can be backed up and restored this way (and I can use the very same foobar from my pendrive at different locations). Previous versions could make the file type associations even when they had configs in their own folder and it's good that way - but it's troublesome to restore in case of some rogue application grabbing them.

Reply #3
Is there any way to make a portable foobar make its associations? I always use it in portable mode even though foobar is the main music player on my system - I like to keep everything independent from the core system which can be backed up and restored this way (and I can use the very same foobar from my pendrive at different locations). Previous versions could make the file type associations even when they had configs in their own folder and it's good that way - but it's troublesome to restore in case of some rogue application grabbing them.
If you want this behaviour, standard mode still behaves this way. Portable mode is different.

Reply #4
Previous versions could make the file type associations even when they had configs in their own folder and it's good that way - but it's troublesome to restore in case of some rogue application grabbing them.
The location of the configuration files is a separate issue from "Portable Mode", although both changes were made to better accommodate Windows Vista.

Either way, these changes aren't new and were made in 0.9.6 and discussion of them doesn't belong in this 0.9.6.1 beta thread.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #5
i think this discussion should belong here because it's something that's missing and would be nice to fix this in the future... curiously enough is that in the 0.955 portable version the file association works and is present there... and i'm dual booting vista and xp.. works like a charm in both.. is it so hard not to fix something that ain't broken?

Reply #6
There is no 0.9.5.x portable mode. That feature was introduced in 0.9.6.

Reply #7
Haste

You are confusing the option to place config files in the foobar directory with truly being a non invasive portable installation.

This has been discussed and explained in any number of other threads. There is nothing broken that needs to be fixed.

terry

Reply #8
If you want this behaviour, standard mode still behaves this way. Portable mode is different.

So if I install fb2k in standard mode I'll still get the option to place the config files in the foobar2000 folder? That's great, thanks!
Then all I have to do to a new system is to install in standard mode, let it set all the file associations then re-install it in portable mode to the same location (and finish customization manually or by copying a foobar2000.cfg file, etc), right? Then I'll have the benefits of the portable mode (won't mess with other systems when, well, transported) and it'll get its file types on the 'master' system.

Reply #9

So if I install fb2k in standard mode I'll still get the option to place the config files in the foobar2000 folder? That's great, thanks!
Installing in either mode, you're able to change the location of the configuration files in the preferences. This option was moved from the installer to the preferences because too many Vista users did not understand that they cannot locate the configuration files in the install folder and still run foobar2000 at Vista's default User-level security credentials.

Then all I have to do to a new system is to install in standard mode, let it set all the file associations then re-install it in portable mode to the same location (and finish customization manually or by copying a foobar2000.cfg file, etc), right?
I'm sure you're being facetious, but no, that's not required at all.

Then I'll have the benefits of the portable mode (won't mess with other systems when, well, transported) and it'll get its file types on the 'master' system.
The primary benefit of portable mode is that it doesn't write any registry keys. Associating filetypes to foobar2000 requires registering. So no, by doing the steps you've listed above, you are subverting the primary point of portable mode. 

Perhaps the name "portable mode" is too easily identifiable for people as "location of configuration files". But as I and tpijag have already said above, that's not what it means at all.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #10
Thank you, everything seems clear for me now!

Reply #11
Sorry for digging up an old thread but I solved the file association issue by deleting the "portable_mode_enabled" file in the installation folder. Fired up FB2K and found the option to associate files became available again. I use my FB2K the same way as alvaro84 does, where most of the applications on my system are based on portable versions located on a separate drive. Makes reinstalling Windows (especially one stripped and prepared with nLite) a breeze.

Reply #12
By doing that you still leaving out icons and the shell extension.

So while that might "work" in XP in current (0.9.6.8) versions, it's still not a supported configuration.
Your much better re-running the installer.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #13
The only problem I see is with icons now -- in with previous FB2K versions I had the full icon set. Shell extensions for Enqueue etc. are still available on my machine. What I have now is the default black & white FB2K icon for all audio formats.

Reply #14
Icons are not installed in portable mode.

And why should they? As already explained in this topic, it does not support file associations.
Run the installer again and choose the standard mode.

You can still switch to storing configuration files in the program folder, which has also been mentioned before.

Reply #15
Icons are not installed in portable mode.

And why should they? As already explained in this topic, it does not support file associations.
Run the installer again and choose the standard mode.

You can still switch to storing configuration files in the program folder, which has also been mentioned before.

I'm sorry, but doesn't fix the fact that it is broken behaviour.

Show me one other program that will not even let you open a file via the 'browse' menu.
I just tried it with Photoshop, Inkscape, Blender and Irfanview, all copied on a USB stick from another computer.

Guess what??? It worked!!!

And I can bet they did not put extra effort into making opening a file possible.

1. I don't care about the icons.
2. I also don't care to remember which program stores its configuration files where. That's why I install on a different drive, to get rid of the bloat, and use a compact/portable install whenever possible.
3. I don't like fishing for saved settings through AppData.
4. Run the installer again, so that it makes a jumble of new setting files in AppData until I can find the option to change it. Then move over all my plugins and hope nothing broke in the process. Gee, thanks.

PS. Does the search here work?

The primary benefit of portable mode is that it doesn't write any registry keys. Associating filetypes to foobar2000 requires registering. So no, by doing the steps you've listed above, you are subverting the primary point of portable mode.

AWESOME! Then be nice and don't block Windows from writing the registry keys if it so wants to.

My primary point of portable mode is the following: I put the files on a USB, take it with me and wherever I go it saves my settings and will let me open files TOO! And if someone likes the program, they can just copy it and VOILA!

(PS. If you can't open files with it, then it's hardly any use, is it??)

Please do impress me with which one of these is not supposed to be the point of portable mode.

Reply #16
There's no problem open files in Portable mode.
But it won't associate them so you can double click the files OOTB.
You can still choose which program you want to with Open with.

Portable mode works as it should.

How did you get Photoshop to work portable?
Windows 10 Pro x64 // foobar2000 1.3.10

Reply #17
And if someone likes the program, they can just copy it and VOILA!

By the way, fb2k license doesn't allow this:

Only unmodified installers can be redistributed; redistribution of foobar2000 binaries in any other form is not permitted.

Reply #18
There's no problem open files in Portable mode.
But it won't associate them so you can double click the files OOTB.
You can still choose which program you want to with Open with.

Portable mode works as it should.

How did you get Photoshop to work portable?

I use the Windows 'browse for program' dialog box, click on foobar's exe and it doesn't recognize it as a program (neither on vista or on 7)

I'm fine with associating them manually, but it won't let even let me open files manually...?

Say I have a dual boot and I want to keep the same settings on both systems, would you not recommend installing in portable mode?

There's something blocking windows from using the program...? I don't know, but I'm not the developer here.

It's a CS2 that I moved over from a vista installation on an old laptop... it just works.

And if someone likes the program, they can just copy it and VOILA!

By the way, fb2k license doesn't allow this:

Only unmodified installers can be redistributed; redistribution of foobar2000 binaries in any other form is not permitted.

Got that, no more spreading the word for me then.

And before I forget... where is this amazing option of storing configuration files in a different spot? I can find it on 1.0, but it eludes me on 1.1.

Reply #19
I use the Windows 'browse for program' dialog box, click on foobar's exe and it doesn't recognize it as a program

This happens if same exe name is used from different locations, the executable path gets automatically registered by Windows and it no longer accepts a new path. You can fix it in regedit by deleting key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\foobar2000.exe.

Reply #20
I use the Windows 'browse for program' dialog box, click on foobar's exe and it doesn't recognize it as a program

This happens if same exe name is used from different locations, the executable path gets automatically registered by Windows and it no longer accepts a new path. You can fix it in regedit by deleting key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\foobar2000.exe.

I hardly think that is the case. The W7 installation is pretty new, and it's the first time I use foobar on it. And let's see... nope, no foobar found in the registry.

Reply #21
And before I forget... where is this amazing option of storing configuration files in a different spot? I can find it on 1.0, but it eludes me on 1.1.

I believe this has been removed since. It's a real pain, and I'm just glad I installed foobar long ago enough that I have it setup with the configuration files in the same folder as the executables, so I can be "portable" without installing in "Portable" mode. If a mod can confirm it's been removed, I'm a vote (as I have been in other threads) for adding it back.