Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Call for samples (Read 32407 times) previous topic - next topic

Call for samples

Reply #25
I started preparing samples in anticipation, but most of them are in the 26-30 second range.  I tried to make a cross section of music I listen to on a regular basis.  About the time I got to the 30th song, I realized I had a problem and needed help.  It's 12 steps later and I think I'm doing much better, but it's like choosing from among your children!  I didn't want to abuse HA with my huge fat list of samples, so these are hosted on my personal site.  There's a longer list and some descriptions

Wow phong, your long list of interesting samples may encourage me to send in a lot of my Beatles samples.

ff123

Call for samples

Reply #26
Despite my earlier rant, I want to help out. Here's something you Must ALL know.
It's simple, and may sound "ok" at low bitrate. Also I double dare you not to think of Clint Eastwood!
Hip-hop looks like it's having more fun than you are - Chuck D

Call for samples

Reply #27
Well, some comments on some samples I've already screened:

mybloodrusts

Damn, I was freaked one of the wires in my headphone cable was broken (that already happened twice) when I started listening to this one.

Will probably be featured, representing "heavy stuff"

John Linnell - State Songs
01 - Illinois

OMG! That song is a riot! So out of the ordinary comparing to listening test samples.

Definitely in

/EDIT\
I've pasted most buggy moments of the track. The fadeouts/ins are mine.
Files were saved using cool_flac in CEPv2.
\EDIT/

Sorry, dude, edited music won't do. :/

Keep sending these samples in, ppl.

Regards;

Roberto.

Call for samples

Reply #28
"Libertango" by Astor Piazzolla on the Adios Nonino CD
Accordian accompanied by piano, violin, bass and guitar

Milan, 35866-2

ff123

Call for samples

Reply #29
Despite my earlier rant, I want to help out. Here's something you Must ALL know.
It's simple, and may sound "ok" at low bitrate. Also I double dare you not to think of Clint Eastwood!

That has some really bad flutter in the flute.  I prefer to listen to the guitar part, personally.

ff123

Call for samples

Reply #30
From L'Adoration de la Terre (Le Sacre Du Printemps, The Rite of Spring) by Igor Stravinsky

Lorin Maazel conducting the Cleveland Orchestra
Telarc CD-80054

ff123

Call for samples

Reply #31
Only One Sample from me (20 Seconds) [Artist - Album - Title (Genre)]:

1. Salt And Light.flac: Salvador - Into Motion - Salt And Light (Latin Rock)

The Cymbals on this clip are very difficult for most encoders.

Call for samples

Reply #32
These are some of the samples that I was/am considering for my mp2 test. Picked to be representative, and not too easy to encode.

The first one is Big Yellow Taxi by the Counting Crows. The only CD single I've bought this year!

Call for samples

Reply #33
The second one is Chased Out by Clare Martin (Linn records). Jazz. Well recorded.

(how do I upload multiple files to one message?)

Call for samples

Reply #34
The third one is the start of Forgiven not Forgotten, by the Corrs.

Deceptively simple sound - surprisingly difficult to encode.

Call for samples

Reply #35
(how do I upload multiple files to one message?)

Unfortunately you can't.  It could be possible to change this, but it would add quite a bit more complexity to the current system..

Call for samples

Reply #36
The last propper one isn't music - it's speech.

Taken from a BBC Radio 4 Comedy, released on CD, Just a Minute.

Call for samples

Reply #37
Finally...

Take awe32_20sec, convert it to 4-bits, and back to 16-bits, and you get this...

(Probably not suitable for this test because it's been altered, but the stereo and HF content are impressive).

Cheers,
David.

Call for samples

Reply #38
I have two samples from my cd - collection.

Sample 1

Call for samples

Reply #39
first of all sorry about hijacking this sample upload thread but it seems that there is no discussion thread on the 64kbps test open now:

i am sure there is a reason but why dont you use the same (or most of the) samples as ff123 in his 64 test?
i think it would be interesting to compare the two, especially the differences between old aac and wma8 and newer versions (ok, i know that it isnt really possible to compare the two tests, but...)
I know, that I know nothing (Socrates)

Call for samples

Reply #40
Sample 2

Call for samples

Reply #41
meer.flac: Martin Buntrock - Meer - Meer (Relaxation Music)

Sound/noise of sea (in German: "Meer") / water. Causes problems similar to applause.

edited: clarification
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Call for samples

Reply #42
/EDIT\
I've pasted most buggy moments of the track. The fadeouts/ins are mine.
Files were saved using cool_flac in CEPv2.
\EDIT/

Sorry, dude, edited music won't do. :/

Keep sending these samples in, ppl.

Regards;

Roberto.

Not a problem, reuploading now...
ruxvilti'a

Call for samples

Reply #43
tropicalgarden.flac: John May/Edwin Schimscheimer - Moods. Magic Marimbas - In the tropical garden (New Age/Meditation)

Marimbas - guitar - flute - synth. Gives codecs a fair chance
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Call for samples

Reply #45
Artist: Coldcut
Album: Let Us Play
Track: 3
Title: More Beats + Pieces
Date: 1997

Hard electric interferences.
.halverhahn

Call for samples

Reply #46
If I cut it more some important parts (where the encoders have problems) are missing. Can I upload it anyway?

Yes but, really, 30 seconds max. More than that, and it becomes piracy

Isn't that piece old enough to be in the public domain now? Then copying should be free...

Call for samples

Reply #47
cool, free music

however, here is my sample, have fun 

[edit] what is that? After it was done uploading it says "You cannot upload this type of file"  why can't it do the checking before it starts uploading or at least say what file types are allowed...
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Call for samples

Reply #48
Yann Tiersen - La Rupture, from the album Le phare.
Traditional French music (from Brittany).

Call for samples

Reply #49
Some of the '80s (Warning: |A|A|D| CD ):
Artist: OMD
Album: Organisation
Track: 01
Title: Enola Gay
Year: 1980