Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Do you think things are getting better? Or worse? (Read 13353 times) previous topic - next topic

Do you think things are getting better? Or worse?

Reply #50
If Wakibaki is referring to "high end" audio, this might be somewhat of an indicator of current state of affairs, for better or worse.
Unfortunately I will be exhibiting, so I'll have to cherry pick which seminar I might be able to attend. Sunday afternoon traffic might be light around the time of the streaming seminar...so that might be possible. Could be interesting hearing about MQA from the horses mouth, so to speak.

At first glance my dyslexic mind reads Axpona as Apoxia (high altitude sickness), and the later word seems to better describe the state of mind of most of the presenters. ;-) 

There seem to be some presentations about things that actually matter such as loudspeakers and rooms, but unfortunately the kick-off presentation is entitled: "Vinyl Lives!" and the usual suspects including Fremer seem to be making themselves highly visible if not dominant.

Reply #51
If Wakibaki is referring to "high end" audio, this might be somewhat of an indicator of current state of affairs, for better or worse.
Unfortunately I will be exhibiting, so I'll have to cherry pick which seminar I might be able to attend. Sunday afternoon traffic might be light around the time of the streaming seminar...so that might be possible. Could be interesting hearing about MQA from the horses mouth, so to speak.

At first glance my dyslexic mind reads Axpona as Apoxia (high altitude sickness), and the later word seems to better describe the state of mind of most of the presenters. ;-) 

There seem to be some presentations about things that actually matter such as loudspeakers and rooms, but unfortunately the kick-off presentation is entitled: "Vinyl Lives!" and the usual suspects including Fremer seem to be making themselves highly visible if not dominant.

I can see why there's more profit in selling that stuff than a Sansa Clip Zip.

Interesting that there's a seminar on ripping vinyl.

Honestly, though I'd probably disagree with most of what was said, if this was free and local I'd go.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #52

I can see why there's more profit in selling that stuff than a Sansa Clip Zip.

The above profit prognostications are no doubt correct on a piece-by-piece basis. However, there is the slight matter of sales volume. At one point lately each of several different colored versions of Sansa's Fuze replacement were top sellers on Amazon. That was no doubt the case for many other retail outlets world wide.  Profit margins on modern electronics products can be tremendous. I believe that Apple brings something like half of the wholesale price of their iPhones down to their bottom line. I know of a number of automobile manufacturers who would kill to do half as well.

Interesting that there's a seminar on ripping vinyl.

I wonder if they will admit that a good digital transcription of a vinyl disk is the sonic equivalent of the disk?

Honestly, though I'd probably disagree with most of what was said, if this was free and local I'd go.

I'm probably one of the closest of the HA regulars, but attendance at APOXNA would cut into really important stuff in my life like going to Estate Sales on Friday. If Fremer would debate me and pay my expenses I might change my mind. Thing is I think his back side is still healing from his recent online debates with end users related to the Pono and high resolution audio. I don't know if the stitches will be out before APOXNA. Ouch!

Reply #53
Yes, the HD Radio station I listen to also has online streaming. If Wakibaki is referring to "high end" audio, this might be somewhat of an indicator of current state of affairs, for better or worse.

cheers,

AJ

That expo sounds entertaining.  The path to audio nirvana now is....vinyl rips?  reel-to-reel?  having your turntable setup by Mikey Fremer?

The room optimization and measurement talks sound interesting, though. I'd go if it was closer to home.

I didn't see Stuart's name on there  -- who's there from Meridien?

Reply #54
most Hi-Res files the sound aggravates my tinnitus is a bit disappointing. I've had better luck listening to 320 kbs mp3, honestly.

Sorry but how can that be? As another sufferer of tinnitus I can't see how on earth this or that encoder can make it worse apart from your abusing your ears drums with excessive volume.
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #55
That expo sounds entertaining.

More so as a visitor, occasionally as an exhibitor. Swore I wasn't going, but alas...

The path to audio nirvana now is....vinyl rips?  reel-to-reel?  having your turntable setup by Mikey Fremer?

For some, yes. Nothing wrong with any of those IMHO, not like they're going to discuss how high to lift cables or color CDs and such. Heck, there's a vinyl forum here.
I'll have no more interest in that than the "Hi-Rez" stuff, but I'm sure there will be plenty folks in each.

The room optimization and measurement talks sound interesting, though.

Well, a cursory look at that showed some guy who worked in Studios talking about "accurate" reproduction and another selling a dome tweeter speaker as a "controlled directivity waveguide".
Proficiency with high school physics and basic psycho-acoustics/perceptual knowledge may be optional. We're not taking Toole, JJ, Greisinger, Geddes et al here.

I didn't see Stuart's name on there  -- who's there from Meridien?

VP of NA. Swore I read somewhere Bob would be there, but maybe it's a surprise. Also of interest, the guy from TIDAL will be there (which I plan on utilizing in room), as will Dr AIX (of AVS thread fame). Might be a doozy. 

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #56
Well, a cursory look at that showed some guy who worked in Studios talking about "accurate" reproduction and another selling a dome tweeter speaker as a "controlled directivity waveguide".
Proficiency with high school physics and basic psycho-acoustics/perceptual knowledge may be optional. We're not taking Toole, JJ, Greisinger, Geddes et al here.

The second guy -- Merkel -- might have that knowledge.  Hard to tell from his online resume -- he seems to have got to 'physics' by way of 'biochemistry'.

Reply #57
Things are getting worse. As we grow older, our nostalgia for the past (what we know and are comfortable with) grows stronger as its drowned out and lost.

I'm sure there are angles from which things are getting better.

Better or worse are extremely subjective and arbitrary judgments.

I tend to err on the side of "worse" since people are getting dumber, but maybe humanity will pull through. And maybe I'm just a pessimist in that way.

Reply #58
One day I was sitting alone, and without a friend, and a voice from within said, 'Cheer up, things might get worse...'

So I cheered up, and sure enough, things got worse.
wakibaki.com

Reply #59
I tend to err on the side of "worse" since people are getting dumber, but maybe humanity will pull through. And maybe I'm just a pessimist in that way.

My father once told me that this was proof for the genesis according to the bible. If everything perpetually gets worse, it must have started in paradise.

Reply #60
The only real downside in the state of audio for me is the Loudness War and the continued market dominance by corporate media.

+1 for this.

To me, the loudness wars are the single biggest pox on the state of audio these days.  Formats are getting better, electronics are getting better, speakers are getting better, and it's all squandered on music seemingly monitored using jukeboxes.  I suspect a lot of the passion for old vinyl recordings is simply because they were mastered before the loudness wars.