Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Soundcheck problems using different versions of iTunes (Read 1873 times) previous topic - next topic

Soundcheck problems using different versions of iTunes

I managed mp3 library imported in iTunes  with Windows XP and  iTunes 8.0.2.20 till last year. I always verified the Volume adjustment of each mp3 and the correlated hex values written in the field iTunNorm (using mp3Tag).
Last year I updated to Windows 7_64 and to iTunes 10.6.3.25 and went on importing new files in iTunes.
With some test, (same file imported using iTunes 8  and  iTunes 10 on  different PCs) I realized  that:

1.   iTunes 10 don't write iTunNorm tag anymore in the file mp3. I have a Volume adjustment, but with mp3Tag I can’t read any iTunNorm field with the famous ten hex values.
2.   iTunes 10 and iTunes 8 use a different way to calculate Sound Check; Volume adjustments calculated with iTunes 10 are lower of about  1,5-2,0 dB in average against iTunes 8. But sometimes  the difference may be very high (-5 dB or -7dB for example in iTunes 10 versus iTunes 8).

My questions:
i.    Where iTunes 10 write Sound Check info  to the mp3 file and how can I read it?
ii.    What can I do to avoid the discontinuity in Sound Check values due to the use of iTunes 8 and iTunes 10 without resetting all data?
iii.  What is the best: SoundCheck of iTunes 8 or SoundCheck of iTunes 10 (which is the difference)?

Thanks in advance for your answers.