Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Monkey / FLAC Transcoding to MP3? (Read 6711 times) previous topic - next topic

Monkey / FLAC Transcoding to MP3?

Sorry for the newbie question - is there any way to transcode from Monkey or FLAC to MP3 (LAME)?  I would like to keep my entire collection in lossless and just transcode off to MP3 for my portable applications.  Any thoughts????
Was that a 1 or a 0?

Reply #1
Decode .ape or .flac to .wav and encode them to mp3.
You can decode with Winamp disk writer plug-in.

Reply #2
Hey, my first post!!!

If you're going to use Monkey's, just use the convert function in the GUI.  I've never used it before, but it's there and it's been the subject of another post recently.  So, I'd hope that it works correctly.

Good luck...

Reply #3
Originally posted by DigitalMan
Sorry for the newbie question - is there any way to transcode from Monkey or FLAC to MP3 (LAME)?  I would like to keep my entire collection in lossless and just transcode off to MP3 for my portable applications.  Any thoughts????

Hmm, with respect to FLAC, dBpowerAMP might do it, or you could try hacking sonice.  There's a perl script here if you're so inclined.

Josh

Reply #4
I know John33 was thinking (upon request) of adding support for FLAC input in OggdropXPd. Don't know if that goes for LamedropXPd as well.

A few days ago I read that libsndfile (used in OggdropXPd among others) are working on FLAC input support, which might make it easy for John33 to implement FLAC support in his xxxxdropXPd utilities. Ask him for more info.

I'm eagerly waiting for this too

Edit: There is an easy way of doing this in Winamp by using FLAC input plugin and Lame output plugin. Then just hit the play button.

Reply #5
www.dbpoweramp.net

Install the Monkeys audio or Flac codecs (codec central on same web site), right click on your file(s) >> Convert To >> mp3 (Lame), that simple. And BTW dBpowerAMP will also preserve any ID tags, converting to wave, or with winamp will lose all those.

Release 9 of dBpowerAMP Music Converter now supports Lame -alt Presets

Reply #6
Originally posted by DigitalMan

Check this thread! There's a description how to set up and use Monkey's Audio for the job!

P.S.
It's always a good idea to use the search function in this forum to find an answer to a ??? (that may have been asked before :ponder: ).
Usually it's not more work than to create a new thread.
Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one! (Benjamin Franklin)

Reply #7
Thanks for the help - I'll try the suggestions.  Sorry about not thoroughly searching the backlog - duly noted.
Was that a 1 or a 0?