Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Opus Container format and tags (Read 6668 times) previous topic - next topic

Opus Container format and tags

I'm doing some research into Opus and I am trying to see if my information is correct.

It seems right now Opus uses the ogg container or mkv conrtainer.  Is that correct?

Does this mean that a .opus file uses vorbis comments, as opposed to ID3?

Has Opus been used in any other container format besides the two above containers?

Reply #1
Opus uses the Ogg container.  It is being adapted for Matroska, but I wouldn't consider it really usable in practice yet.

Opus uses Vorbis comment tags, essentially identical to Ogg Vorbis, although they occur on the second page of an Opus file rather than the third for Vorbis.

Reply #2
Opus uses the Ogg container.  It is being adapted for Matroska, but I wouldn't consider it really usable in practice yet.

Opus uses Vorbis comment tags, essentially identical to Ogg Vorbis, although they occur on the second page of an Opus file rather than the third for Vorbis.

Is there an advantage to Vorbis comments over ID3 tags?

Reply #3

I'm not sure the Vorbis comment spec is technically superior to ID3 or APE (wiser minds than my own can answer that question).  The one thing that can be said in definite favor of Vorbis comments is that there's only one spec, and it's common to FLAC, Vorbis, and Opus.  ID3 has a number of different versions with varying levels of support.

See this HA thread for further reading.

Reply #4

Yes. There are pros and cons. One advantage to ID3 is that the fields are standardized; one disadvantage is that this standardization is violated "everywhere", with various mappings and various versions (ID3v1, ID3v2.3, ID3v2.4, Lyrics extension ...) Put it this way: the ID3 format could originally not get "AC/DC" right.
Vorbis comments are free form. If you want a field name called qwertjangncva then you create it. That is a pro and a con.

For mp3 you can also use APE tags, which are closer to Vorbis comments. But they are not as widely supported.

Reply #5
Why? Current mkvtoolnix muxes opus audio just fine, and I tried playing it on windows, linux and android and there were no problems as long as the software supported opus.