Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Winamp 5.5 released (Read 160560 times) previous topic - next topic

Winamp 5.5 released

10th anniversary edition.
  • A Completely Redesigned Interface, including Album Art
  • Multiple device support, including iPods
  • Access and Share Your Music and Videos with Winamp Remote
  • Play and Playlist the Best Music on the Web with Media Monitor
  • Get Artist & Concert News, Videos & more with Smart Search
  • Enjoy Dynamic Song Recommendations
  • Experience MP3 Surround Sound Support
  • Access to Thousands of Online Radio Stations, Videos and More!
  • 50 FREE MP3 Music Downloads compliments of eMusic's 2-week Trial
  • Auto-Tagger provides automatic updates to file information
  • Control Winamp From Your Browser with the Winamp Toolbar
Full changelog inside.

Download Winamp 5.5 final:
http://www.winamp.com/player

Direct links:
Full | Bundle  | Lite | Pro

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #1
Improved: Re-tuned and optimized classic Spectrum Analyzer[/quote]

Am I the only one who noticed that the analyzer is no longer accurate?With the previous versions you could tell just by looking at the analyzer if a lowpass was used , but in winamp 5.5 there are no differences between mp3s @ 128Kbps and mp3s @ 320Kbps when looking at the analyzer.

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #2
Updated: [enc_aacplus] Coding Technologies aacPlus Encoder v8.1.0

I smell a new AAC encoder test!

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #3
Updated: [enc_aacplus] Coding Technologies aacPlus Encoder v8.1.0

I smell a new AAC encoder test!

me too ! it will be nice to find out which is better aac encoder , nero or ct ?

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #5
Am I the only one who noticed that the analyzer is no longer accurate?With the previous versions you could tell just by looking at the analyzer if a lowpass was used , but in winamp 5.5 there are no differences between mp3s @ 128Kbps and mp3s @ 320Kbps when looking at the analyzer.

It's still accurate, it's just showing a different frequency range.

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #6
Does the latest Winamp support syncing to the new iPod classic? If not, is it planned?
Proverb for Paranoids: "If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers."
-T. Pynchon (Gravity's Rainbow)

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #7
The new bento skin looks amazing. Also task manager shows it's only using 12 megs of ram in full mode. The best and easiest to use media player just got better IMO.

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #8
The new bento skin looks amazing. Also task manager shows it's only using 12 megs of ram in full mode. The best and easiest to use media player just got better IMO.

ya , the new bento skin is amazing and the new auto-tag feature too . My best audio player just got even better .         

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #9
Improved: Re-tuned and optimized classic Spectrum Analyzer

It was about time. So far the analyzer looked nicely only for in_mp3 and mp3 format only.

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #10
Sorry for the chop job WaldoMonster.

Winamp 5.5 final:
  • New: Bento SingleUI Skin
  • New: Auto-Tagger in File Info dialog (powered by Gracenote)
  • New: Album Art support, including new window for Winamp Modern skin
  • New: Fully translatable Localization support
  • New: WLZ (Winamp Language Zip) filetype support
  • New: Global 'playback thread priority' setting for decoders
  • New: Media Monitor and MP3 Blog site scraper (in Bento browser)
  • New: Option to set the number of lines to scroll in the Playlist
  • New: Option to not show playlist item number in classic songticker
  • New: Option to not show the playlist number in the Windows taskbar
  • New: Redesigned Installer
  • New: Run Setup switch, winamp.exe /REG=S
  • New: Unified File Editor, with Artwork tab (for mp3, m4a, wma, ogg, flac)
  • New: Version History drop-down selector and Search (in About dialog)
  • New: Winamp Toolbar for Internet Explorer (optional)
  • New: %family% ATF string for identifying filetypes
  • New: $split() ATF function for splitting x/y disc & track strings
  • New: [in_mp3] Multi-channel mp3surround support
  • New: [gen_ml] Tree Options tab in Media Library Preferences
  • New: [ml_autotag] Mass Auto-Tagger in Send-To menu (powered by Gracenote)
  • New: [ml_local] 3 pane view options in 'Add/Edit View' dialog
  • New: [ml_local] Smart View Presets
  • New: [ml_local] Album Art support/pane and retrieval service
  • New: [ml_local] Toolbar buttons to control view options
  • New: [ml_plg] Winamp Playlist Generator (powered by Gracenote MusicID)
  • New: [ml_pmp] New fields, configurable filter panes & columns, 3 pane view
  • New: [ml_pmp] Album Art view & support for iPod and P4S Devices
  • New: [ml_pmp] Separate view for video files
  • New: [vis_milk2] Milkdrop2 Visualizer
  • Improved: General misc UI/Dialog tweaks & improvements
  • Improved: Re-tuned and optimized classic Spectrum Analyzer
  • Improved: Surround indicator in Winamp Modern skin for multi-channel files
  • Improved: Classic Songticker option for Winamp Modern skin (via Config drawer)
  • Improved: [in_cdda] Conductor metadata support
  • Improved: [in_cdda] Handling of multiple discs
  • Improved: [in_flac/in_vorbis] ALBUM ARTIST & ENSEMBLE read support
  • Improved: [in_flac] Advanced Editor mode
  • Improved: [in_mod] Added support for more than 256 samples
  • Improved: [in_mp3] Faster metadata gathering (also speeds up ReplayGain scan)
  • Improved: [in_mp4] Smoother data sent to vis & other minor tweaks
  • Improved: [in_wm] Faster WMA/WMV metadata gathering
  • Improved: [gen_ff] General freeform skinning engine optimizations
  • Improved: [gen_ml] Collapsed/expanded state of treeview items now remembered
  • Improved: [gen_ml] Skinned scrollbars in Media Library for newer Modern skins
  • Improved: [gen_ml] Reordering of treeview items (via drag+drop)
  • Improved: [ml_disc] Better Unicode support & other misc tweaks
  • Improved: [ml_history] Unicode support
  • Improved: [ml_local] Customize Columns menu for top filter panes
  • Improved: [ml_local] Option to show horizontal scrollbar for top panes
  • Improved: [ml_local] New 'Podcasts' view (appears after downloading a podcast)
  • Improved: [ml_local] Added ISPODCAST and PODCASTCHANNEL field names
  • Improved: [ml_local] Added BEGINSLIKE comparison operator
  • Improved: [ml_local] Dragging of headers to sort column order
  • Improved: [ml_local] Redesigned Smart View Editor
  • Improved: [ml_local] Star Rating display and selection
  • Improved: [ml_pmp] 'Copy to Local Media' config separated from CD Ripping settings
  • Improved: [ml_pmp] Portables "Sync" can now keep podcasts updated
  • Improved: [ml_rg] ReplayGain calculation support for 64, 88.2 & 96 KHz samplerates
  • Improved: [ml_wire] Optional automatic downloading of new podcast episodes
  • Improved: [ml_wire] Multi-select, 'Send To' menu and other general enhancements
  • Improved: [ml_wire] Podcast downloads now saved in channel subfolders
  • Improved: [ml_wire] Updated podcast directory
  • Improved: [pmp_ipod] Now uses the iPod's podcast menu for podcasts
  • Fixed: 'All supported files' showing all filetypes in Open Files dialog
  • Fixed: Esc key not working in Credits & Winamp tabs of About Box
  • Fixed: Long filepaths corrupted when opening Winamp via Explorer context menu
  • Fixed: Oversized preference pages with large DPI setting
  • Fixed: Recurrence of multiple instances bug (previously fixed in 5.3)
  • Fixed: Selecting 'No' for 'Physically Remove' prompt removes playlist/mldb item
  • Fixed: TV button in video window not working
  • Fixed: Windows showing if switching from modern to classic skin in minimized state
  • Fixed: [ASX Loader] Recursive playlist loading & case-insensitive element matching
  • Fixed: [ASX Loader] Handling of entries embedded within a REPEAT tag
  • Fixed: [dsp_sps] DEP incompatibility
  • Fixed: [gen_ff] "Can't unload script while in script" error when switching skins
  • Fixed: [gen_ff] Remember ML size when switching between Modern & Classic skins
  • Fixed: [gen_ff] Transparent docked toolbars for skins using alpha-blending
  • Fixed: [gen_ff] 10% opacity not applying on skins that add items to rt-click menu
  • Fixed: [gen_jumpex] Crash when loading multiple files via Explorer context menu
  • Fixed: [gen_jumpex] Remove Duplicate Entries action broken in pledit
  • Fixed: [gen_ml] %playcount% returning Comment on drag+drop from ML to pledit
  • Fixed: [gen_ml] Shift+Insert (New Playlist) and F1 (Help) keyboard shortcuts
  • Fixed: [in_cdda] CDDB crash when attempting to rip a CD in a 2nd instance of Winamp
  • Fixed: [in_flac] General FLAC Editor quirks (Comments field, Enter key, etc)
  • Fixed: [in_flac] 24bit files don't play when 'Allow 24bit' setting is disabled
  • Fixed: [in_mod] Fadeout value goes below 0.0 sec in in_mod config
  • Fixed: [in_mod] Interpolator 'division by zero' crash bug
  • Fixed: [in_mp3] Crash on some mp3's with corrupt ID3v2 extended headers (rare)
  • Fixed: [in_mp3] Crash on loading corrupt id3v2.3 tags of a later revision
  • Fixed: [in_mp3] Negative bitrate in File Info for long mp3's
  • Fixed: [in_mp4] Glitch when modifying metadata on playing track
  • Fixed: [in_mp4/libmp4v2] Memory leaks
  • Fixed: [in_wave/libsndfile] Crash on invalid .au files
  • Fixed: [in_wm] Garbage characters when editing filetypes in config
  • Fixed: [in_wm] Potential DRM lockup issue
  • Fixed: [ml_disc] 0 byte temp files not deleted after ripping
  • Fixed: [ml_disc] Double-click drive icon in Rip & Burn not selecting tree item
  • Fixed: [ml_disc] Crash when using <trackartist> in playlist filename generation
  • Fixed: [ml_disc] Drag+drop from Audio CD view to Playlist Editor
  • Fixed: [ml_local] (no album) items adding to Album count in Artist pane
  • Fixed: [ml_local] isempty and =0 queries now return same results
  • Fixed: [ml_local] Add dir to 'Watch Folders' path truncated to 64 characters
  • Fixed: [ml_pmp] Inserting extra period in filename when transcoding to mp4/aac
  • Fixed: [ml_pmp] Sending ansi-converted titles instead of Unicode
  • Fixed: [ml_pmp] Transfer caption building when Artist metadata is empty
  • Fixed: [ml_wire] Subscription Updates setting always resets to 'Never'
  • Fixed: [pmp_ipod] Potential incompatability issues with latest version of iTunes
  • Fixed: [pmp_p4s] 'Error In Insert' when transferring to some P4S devices
  • Fixed: [pmp_usb] Slow Winamp startup when external usb drive connected
  • Fixed: [vis_milk] Milkdrop DEP incompatibility
  • Misc: Winamp Remote is now an installer option (ml_orb.dll)
  • Misc: Moved drawing engine out of gen_ff to tataki.dll
  • Misc: Moved freetype font renderer out of gen_ff to freetype.wac
  • Misc: Removed deprecated .LNG Language file support
  • Misc: Removed db.w5s (replaced by new Gracenote database system)
  • Misc: Removed Station Info window and Prefs page
  • Misc: Removed unicows.lib/dll as we have officially dropped support for Win9x
  • Updated: Gracenote MusicID/CDDB v2.5
  • Updated: libpng 1.2.20
  • Updated: [enc_aacplus] Coding Technologies aacPlus Encoder v8.1.0
  • Updated: [gen_jumpex] JTFE v0.99.2
  • Updated: [in_flac] FLAC 1.2.1
  • Updated: [in_mp3] FhG Decoder v4.10
  • Updated: [in_vorbis] libvorbis 1.2.0

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #11
I am really impressed by this Winamp release.  The new Bento skin and album art support is awesome.  And with my huge library of music, Winamp only uses 12 MB of RAM during playback where iTunes uses 80 MB of RAM.  And Winamp Remote is also a really nice feature that I hope is developed even further.  Winamp Remote works with my Xbox 360 like a dream and I have yet to see another media player able to stream to the Xbox 360 besides Windows Media Player and Zune software.  Great job Winamp team!

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #12
@sTisTi: 5.5 should work fine with the classic (as i don't own an ipod i don't know what features exactly are supported within winamp for it so best you try it out, heh)

@j7n: totally agreed and considering there's been a few revisions of the code to get to this point which people have moaned about at every stage, this current code is a better reflection of things though as it's essentially just a gui gimmick as far as i'm concerned i think it looks alright

@Teqnilogik: Winamp Remote has been in there for a while now (though it's barely anything directly Winamp as it's just a rebranded version of orb's software from my understanding) and ignoring the lack of their tech support on their own sub forum on the winamp forums, for those people who get it working it seems to be useful so that's something i guess.

-daz

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #14
What's new with Milkdrop? Or rather, Milkdrop2?

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #15
What's new with Milkdrop? Or rather, Milkdrop2?

Programmable pixel shader support. 

Unfortunately, we didn't have a lot of time to make new presets before the release, so it might be some time before the improvements become visually obvious

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #16
Updated: [in_mp3] FhG Decoder v4.10

nice...  i'll have to re-compare it to Lame's decoding.  For some reason Lame's decoding & or Foobar2000's decoding [edit] sounds better to my ears [/edit] than FhG used in Winamp.

[edit]
and i'm going to prove that I can hear the difference.  preparations to have a new blind ABX test of in_mp3 vs in_mad are under way.  if you have not seen the first test started in 2001, check it out here:
http://ff123.net/madchallenge.html
apparently at least 1 admin, and whoever warned me, have not hear of this test.

also at issue for me is that several people in this thread, and a HydrogenAudio admin, claim that there is no difference at all between the two, without backing themselves up.... no warnings were issued.  And someone in this thread even says in_mp3 is BETTER than in_mad, no warnings and nobody even replied about it.  but, it's really none of my business who gets warned or not.  I got warned for saying I think in_mad sounds better in my opinion (on my hardware, obviously) so I'm not going to split hairs here.

The ironic part is when I complete the blind ABX for this, if I am able to get statistically significant results according to whatever the rules end up being, it's still not going to prove one is better than the other period.  It's only going to prove which one I like more.  So I'm not really sure how this is going to get that particular warning removed from my account - so therefore, what is the use of warning me about my own opinion anyways?  I don't know, and again that's none of my business.  I have been doing my own ABX testing for the last 2 days, all statistically significant results (to some degree, as most if not all ABX tests are, i'm no statistician) in my favor, and I look forward to doing a blind ABX of it.  It needs to be done for everyone who has made any claims about them being exactly the same, and for those who have the personal opinion of preferring one decoder over the other purely based on the PCM output.

nuff said, hopefully not too much said, for now.
[/edit]

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #17

nice...  i'll have to re-compare it to Lame's decoding.  For some reason Lame's decoding & or Foobar2000's decoding has always been better than FhG used in Winamp (after Nitro era).

I'm quite interested of how did you get this conclusion and what do you mean "better" here? As I know, all those mp3 decoding libs are compatible with the standard and consequently should not have perceivable difference.

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #18

nice...  i'll have to re-compare it to Lame's decoding.  For some reason Lame's decoding & or Foobar2000's decoding has always been better than FhG used in Winamp (after Nitro era).

also, is there a way that can be improved that isn't documented?

The only changes were in handling of Intensity Stereo, which AFAIK is only used by the fraunhofer encoder.

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #19

There is also virtual memory used up. On my computer winamp.exe now shows 8,7MB under Mem Usage and 47,2MB under VM Size (View->Select Columns). This release seems amazing though. With all the changes & improvements they made one has to wonder why it is still called winamp 5  .

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #20
@sTisTi: 5.5 should work fine with the classic (as i don't own an ipod i don't know what features exactly are supported within winamp for it so best you try it out, heh)

I don't have an iPod classic yet. I was thinking about the protection the new iPods have that lock them to iTunes for syncing. There seem to be workarounds e.g. with Foobar, but I'd love to continue using Winamp, so support for the new iPods is important for me.
Proverb for Paranoids: "If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers."
-T. Pynchon (Gravity's Rainbow)

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #21
Excellent news! But it still crashes pretty much every time I pause it on my work machine  Or should I say stops responding....I reckon it's something to do with the external drive because it also jammed my file system until a track finished playing in Winamp.

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #22
Excellent news! But it still crashes pretty much every time I pause it on my work machine  Or should I say stops responding....I reckon it's something to do with the external drive because it also jammed my file system until a track finished playing in Winamp.

Same here, went back to 5.35... Seems like another hurried release...

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #23

It's still accurate, it's just showing a different frequency range.

Which frequency range does it show?

Winamp 5.5 released

Reply #24
Winamp doesn't support APE tags, correct?