Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Apple Airport Express: serious audio issue with firmware 7.6 (Read 4555 times) previous topic - next topic

Apple Airport Express: serious audio issue with firmware 7.6

I've owned an Apple Airport Express for the last year, using its analog output to drive my amp (MacBook running OSX Snow Leopard as source) and its audio quality has always subjectively satisfied me, but lately I've been experiencing a very annoying problem: clearly audible "pops" and "clicks" superimposed to music, something like just playing back an analog record!
Wel, to cut a long story short, I finally located the cause in the latest firmware 7.6. Downgrading to 7.5.2 all the noises disappeared. Just as a proof of concept: upgrading again the pops and clicks were back.

Anybody else experiencing this same issue?
... I live by long distance.

Reply #1
Haven't noticed anything like this, but then again I use optical out

Reply #2
Is this the older 802.11g AirPort Express base station or the newer 802.11n model?  I have the older 802.11g release but I don't remember what firmware it is running.  In fact, I haven't used it in a few months (ever since upgrading to a Netgear N3000) but I can tell you that everything was fine in terms of outputting audio before I stopped using it.  I used to hook it up to my Sony system via an analog connection and the audio streaming to it from iTunes on my Mac, iTunes on my Windows 7 nettop, my iPad 2, and 4G iPod touch were all fine without any noticeable pops.  Maybe you had an isolated incident or maybe it is widespread, I don't know.

Reply #3
Haven't noticed anything like this, but then again I use optical out

Could you please test if the analog output of your unit is also affected by this (supposed) firmware bug?

@kornchild2002: mine is a 802.11n unit, about one year old.

Reply #4
By the way, definitely I'm not the only one experienced it: just found a thread in Apple support forum on this same issue.