Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Words that are meaningless in the context of an audio review (Read 16113 times) previous topic - next topic

Words that are meaningless in the context of an audio review

I've google searched for this list, but either my search criteria are bad or it isn't out there.

My apologies if this is not an original topic.

As the title says, I'm trying to compile a list of words that are employed by audio reviewers and forum pundits in their descriptions of the performance of equipment that don't actually convey anything useful.

A couple of words that have come to my attention recently are 'uninvolving' and 'fatigueing'. Both of these at first sight are characteristics that I wouldn't want my equipment to have, but on reflection they're so unspecific that I feel that the reviewer might just as well have said 'I don't like this equipment, but for no good reason I can put a name to'. Since the whole purpose of a review is to provide specific descriptions of equipment characteristics, I've come to feel that the inclusion of these words automatically discredits the reviewer

Another word I'm not too happy with is 'thin', but perhaps you don't share my view. Anyway, I'm going to leave it open to others now to make some contributions.

w
wakibaki.com

Reply #1
Ask 10 people for their definition of 'muddy' and you'll get a wide variety of conflicting explanations. . 'Thin' I take as a lack in the lower frequencies but again, someone else may have a totally different definition. I've had 'fatiguing' audio that had lumpy response in the upper frequencies and again.....  I have no idea at all of what 'uninvolving' might mean.

Reply #2
  • "analog sounding" (isn't everything we hear analog?)
  • "musical" (we're all listening to music, right?)
  • "effortless" (in contrast to a constipated amp taking a dump)
  • "involved" (in contrast to a lazy DAC that really doesn't give a damn)
  • "euphoric" (it's the reviewer who's on cocaine, not the gear!)
  • "lively" (it lives!)
  • "authoritative" (the reviewer's gear is letting them know who's the boss - whip not included)
  • "focused" (high end audio gear doesn't much care for distraction, especially when it's chinese)

…to name a few.

Reply #3
Way back in 1990, J. Gordon Holt wrote a 152 page book (or booklet)

The Audio Glossary

Three of skamp's words are defined:
musical, euphonic, focused

Kevin Graf :: aka Speedskater

Reply #5
Way back in 1990, J. Gordon Holt wrote a 152 page book (or booklet)

The Audio Glossary

This is indeed useful as it contains many redundant redefinitions of existing words, but I fear the author's intentions and mine are directly at odds when compiling our lists.

Thanks, skamp, for your 'few'.

w
wakibaki.com

Reply #6
Another classic: danceable

Reply #7
some of these:
"Music had a vail lifted with greater depth and space, with nuances rendered with increased accuracy."
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #8
I think I remember that one. Wasn't it about something like a mains or cat5 cable?

Waki, you've seen the discussions about the nonsense about PRaT?  Often a good troll magnet.

Reply #9
"Butterscotch"

Reply #11
Waki, you've seen the discussions about the nonsense about PRaT? Often a good troll magnet.

Pace, rhythm and timing?. Yes. I'm not trying to attract an argument though, I just set out to provide a straightforward clarification to a questioner on another forum, and although I knew there were many such words in common use, I just couldn't bring very many to mind. I googled for a list, but I couldn't find one.

The link to the Holt 'Glossary' is great. I recommend it to anyone with a few minutes to spare, a greater condensation of arrant nonsense in one place would be difficult to find. I'm going to re-work it to remove all concessions to rationality and re-post it with any additions contributed here. It won't be a quick job though, I've only read from A to C and I had to leave off, I can only take so much in one dose.

w
wakibaki.com

Reply #12
This glossary?

BTW, "euphoric" (excited) != "euphonic" (purposely pleasing to the ear).

"Euphonic" is typically used when talking about tube amplifiers. The kind of distortions they introduce have sort of a "smoothing" effect, like pouring molasses on every meal you have. I guess some people like it that way.

Reply #13
3-dimensionality

Reply #14
BTW, "euphoric" (excited) != "euphonic" (purposely pleasing to the ear).

I did mean "euphoric" though. Remember, reviewers personify the gear and make it seem alive (see: "lively"). Incidentally, stimulants are known to produce euphoria, and some of them largely increase one's appreciation of music. Though I have no idea what audiophiles are on.

Reply #15
3-dimensionality

That is the very meaning of the word "stereo"...

By the way: boys, I don't see the point in this thread, actually.
... I live by long distance.

Reply #16
Another classic: danceable

I'm surprised nobody mentioned "foot-tappityness" yet. 
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Reply #17
Warm.

Reply #19
Two points can only define one dimension (two dimensions requires three non-linear points, thee dimensions requires four non-coplanar points). The brain is successfully able to create a thee-dimensional image with only two ears, however.

Some of these words aren't so bad (pace and rhythm excluded), it just depends on what they're used to describe.

Reply #20
3-dimensionality

That is the very meaning of the word "stereo"...

Technically, stereo is two-dimensional.

Three-dimensional would be in the realm of 5+ channel surround-sound.

Semantically "stereo" is ancient greek for "solid". Ever heard about "stereoscopic" photography?

Technically stereophony aims to reproduce a three dimensional space in front of the listener: left, right and depth. Surround only differs in the portion of space that tries to reproduce, with depth extending also round and behind the listener.

@greynol: I don't think the geometrical analogy makes much sense in this case, time being involved, which is what actually "fools" the ears (and as you yourself said, the brain between) in perceiving depth or, better, relative distance of virtual sources.
... I live by long distance.

Reply #21
It was not an analogy; it was a clarification and was not directed specifically at you.

You didn't say anything about height.

Regarding your other point, you only need to read the initial post.  Posts have already been binned for violating TOS #2 and I should have done the same with the other TOS #2 violation (see update below), but it would probably have been interpreted as censorship and as a result be incorrectly seen as justification for what is actually inappropriate behavior.

If you (that is to say general "you") don't like the discussion, don't participate.

UPDATE: That post and my response was binned too (not by me, but it was probably for the best).

Reply #22
With the way that most audio equipment reviews are carried out, I think that the answer for "what words are meaningless" is "all words".

Sorry, I think we're missing the cargo ship here.
-----
J. D. (jj) Johnston

Reply #24
The following words were collected from an actual 2 part review in
an audio webzine. It's not a complete list.
Can anyone guess what was being reviewed?

Airy
Anemic
Anvil-taught
Assertive
Balanced
Bassy
Billowing
Bite
Bloom
Bold
Brassy
Breathy