Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WMP10 Final comes with new 2004 FhG Pro ACM codec? (Read 125327 times) previous topic - next topic

WMP10 Final comes with new 2004 FhG Pro ACM codec?

I don't believe it, MS has included a 2004 compiled FhG Professional ACM codec with WMP10 final. 

Thanks to MTRH for hosting this pic.

Update: WMP10 is out.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...asp?displang=en

Reply #1
Those neowin forums would provide quite a lot of flamebait to TOS#8 fans  Some guys have wild ideas about audio compression quality.
Life is Real...
(But not in audio :) )

Reply #2
sad but true, yes

Reply #3
Someone with an account please post links to Roberto's listening test before I start punching random objects in my room.
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #4
Someone with an account please post links to Roberto's listening test before I start punching random objects in my room.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=238919"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Why don't you just stay at HA & leave them alone.

Reply #5
We need to spread what is good
High Quality Audio Evangelists.
Kind Regards , Tcmjr

Aka HellSnoopy

Reply #6
We don't need evangelists just people who bring a certain level of objectivity into those discussions.

I have no (at least not too much) interest in forcing/persuading people to use a specific format, but statements like 96kbps WMA == 192kbps MP3, which have been proven wrong multiple times, shouldn't happen on a technical board like neowin.

Reply #7
statements like 96kbps WMA == 192kbps MP3, which have been proven wrong multiple times, shouldn't happen on a technical board like neowin.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=238928"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I visited a forum where people where saying mp3 sounded better than CDA, so what? it's no conspiracy, once you listen to mp3 you will be able to hear the difference if you can't your probably better off. In the end it's the jobs of the moderators to correct these problems why worry yourself?

Reply #8
Cause I was a newbie myself once and nobody bothered clearing up all those myths about sound quality.

Reply #9
statements like 96kbps WMA == 192kbps MP3, which have been proven wrong multiple times

Or that 128kbps MP3 -> 64kbps WMA sounds better than the MP3...that claim made me shiver 
Life is Real...

Reply #10
Well, back on the topic  There's a WMP10 review here, in case someone's interested. I did not read it yet, so I dunno if it's a good review.
Life is Real...

Reply #11
I suppose its too much to hope that WMP10 includes MP4/AAC support?

Reply #12
statements like 96kbps WMA == 192kbps MP3, which have been proven wrong multiple times

Or that 128kbps MP3 -> 64kbps WMA sounds better than the MP3...that claim made me shiver 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=238944"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

To be fair, that's a simple parroting of what Microsoft used to say about WMA. I haven't seen them say it lately, but that was the "official" line once upon a time.

The idea that you could transcode and gain quality magically seems to be new though.. Never seen that one.

Reply #13
Windows Xp only! 

Seems like WMP 10 is for Windows XP only.  Check out the system requirements.

This sucks, I have Windows 2000 at work and was looking forward to a simplified interface (and the FHG codec).

And recommended RAM is 512Mb, so I'm going to have some trepidation trying it on my 256 Mb Laptop at home too. Overall, the system requirements seem to point to a PC built in 2005!

Rajas

Reply #14
And recommended RAM is 512Mb, so I'm going to have some trepidation trying it on my 256 Mb Laptop at home too. Overall, the system requirements seem to point to a PC built in 2005!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=238962"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My low end, cheap as heck, Toshiba laptop which I got in 2003 has 512 meg ram. Half a gig has been pretty standard for at least 2 years. Standard now is 1 gig, realistically. Top end is 4 gig, or thereabouts.

Reply #15
@otto42
512 MB for a player? come on! ... this is NOT realisticall

Reply #16
Windows Xp only!  

This sucks, I have Windows 2000 at work and was looking forward to a simplified interface (and the FHG codec).

Rajas

Quote From M$

Video card with 256 MB of RAM or higher and DirectX 9.0b or later generation

Time to get that ATI X800 XT or GeForce 6800 Ultra I am dreaming of ...  ^^
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

Reply #17
It's most likely possible to manually install the new ACM codec in Win2k.

Reply #18
Windows Xp only!  

Rajas

Quote From M$

Video card with 256 MB of RAM or higher and DirectX 9.0b or later generation

Time to get that ATI X800 XT or GeForce 6800 Ultra I am dreaming of ...  ^^
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=238981"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Free hard disk space: 60 GB
This crap must be for downloadable HD content.

Reply #19
@otto42
512 MB for a player? come on! ... this is NOT realisticall
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=238977"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Didn't say it was. I was only commenting on what the average standard for PC's is.

Reply #20
it depends on many factors ... for example, in argentina, a dollar costs 3 pesos, so basically, all that is IT related, for us, is like paying 3 times ... like a HD costs 80 dollars, which is 240 pesos, so in reality, is like if it costs, to US people, 240 dollars ... so ... we are seeing many 256MB machines here ...

Reply #21
As for M$'s graphics card recommendation ... maybe they are implementing some 3D effects based on the Doom³ graphics engine ...
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

Reply #22
Oh.. you're all so funny!
myspace.com/borgei - last.fm/user/borgei

Reply #23
Oh.. you're all so funny!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=239043"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
yes, they are! 
[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'](another important post)[/span]

I'd like to see the doom3-style visualisations though, safes me from buying the actual game and to see that my graphiccard can't deal with it. 
Nothing but a Heartache - Since I found my Baby ;)

Reply #24
Has anyone tried this out yet?  Was wondering if they fixed from WMP9:

1) Wrong playtime calculations on LAME encoded (VBR related?) MP3s
2) Couldn't FF/RW LAME MP3s
3) Inability to force it to use tag metadata for library features - it kept creating virtual tags via the Allmusic.com database which created problems like artist consistency (Beatles, The vs. The Beatles vs. Beatles, etc.)
4) Inconsistent / cumbersome behavior when trying to associate cover art with albums

Would like to know if these have been fixed before I even think about installing it on my machine.
Was that a 1 or a 0?