Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: iTSfv - iTunes Store file validator (Read 415657 times) previous topic - next topic

iTSfv - iTunes Store file validator

Reply #600
Works now very good for me!

Thanks, Steffen

Reply #601
Is anyone else having with this program and iTunes 8? It won't grab the artwork anymore and I'm wondering if there's maybe some setting that I need to tweak within it to get it to work again. I am due for an upgrade to a beta version of the app, but I don't know if that's the problem.

Reply #602
If you are having this error then please try the following:

Close both iTunes and iTSfv
Start > Run > type: 

itunes /regserver

Press Enter

Start iTSfv

Let me know how that works out.

Reply #603
If you are having this error then please try the following:

Close both iTunes and iTSfv
Start > Run > type: 

itunes /regserver

Press Enter

Start iTSfv

Let me know how that works out.

It actually appears that it may have been a problem with the installation of both programs. I just reinstalled iTunes and ISfv and everything appears to be fine now. Thanks alot for the swift reply though. I just happened to check it again before even getting a chance to try your troubleshooting technique and it appears to be working.

Reply #604
Glad to hear it worked. It happens usually when you upgrade iTunes to a new version and the iTunes installer does not properly register the iTunes DLLs to the system. I will try to keep an up-to-date FAQ here http://code.google.com/p/itsfv/wiki/FAQ for easier access.

As I got to realize this thread is starting to get huge, I have opened up a Google Group here: http://groups.google.com/group/itsfv which I encourage to use primarily. 

Thanks,
McoreD

Reply #605
This program seems absolutely amazing I can't wait to see how it performs (my files are being processed as I type). 

One question that I think was already asked but I don't think it was answered.
I'm using foo_rating which stores my ratings in the id3 file of the track as %rating%. Is there any way for me to import these ratings into Itunes from the id3 tags so that ratings can be displayed on the ipod and in smart playlists?

Thanks a ton for all of your continued effort on this program 

Reply #606
Hello McoreD,
1st THANKS again for this tool, I just *love* the capitalization of the 1st letters of the names/artists.

Would it be possible to have the following feature ?
- Under iTunes, select a playlist/smart playlist
- click a button in iTSfv ("find duplicates")
- iTSfv selects (as if the user CTRL+LeftClick) all the duplicates (except one of each of course) which have:
    - same artist name
    - same album name
    - same title
    - same BPM
    - same length
- Do nothing more, let the user decide what to do next (Shift-Delete comes to mind of course, after visual confirmation).

Another feature (hard to do ?) would be to select the ones with lower BPM.

Reply #607
OK, I found on page#14 of this thread this:
5.42.0.0 Ability to remove duplicate tracks from Library in Advanced > Library according to Options > Library > Cleaning

Playing with it as of now

Reply #608
Jou,

Thanks for the feedback.

If I understood correctly, you can create a Smart Playlist in iTunes with tracks  less than a specified BPM.

For more options on duplicate tracks, press F2.

Cheers,
McoreD

Reply #609
I am trying to figure out how to update my Itunes ratings. I am using J River Media Center, which writes the ratings into the popm tag. I have checked this in mp3tag.
But whatever I do, when I run the Import ratings and playedcount data from popm and pcnt frames in iTSFv it does not add any ratings.
Any ideas?

Reply #610
this might a long shot, but have you considered making itsfv work with Songbird? Version 1.0 is just around the corner, and I'm getting more and more frustrated with iTunes sluggishness and forced quick time install etc.
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Reply #611
Hi,

I noticed that there are still some " ’ " showing up in the lyrics.
For example: http://lyricwiki.org/Jack_Johnson:Losing_Keys

now, the weird thing is that if you click on that link the " ' " show up correctly, but when I do the import, they show up all weird. Also notice the strange "..."

Edit: Damn, I carefully put the following text into songs with no lyrics "there are no lyrics in this song"...no all this information is gone when checking for new lyrics
Edit2: How come songs with no Album are ignored when importing / exporting lyrics?
Edit3: I tried to get rid of the "Not found" lyrics by exporting them, then mass removing them from the files and then importing the lyrics (essentially importing an empty lyrics file). It didn't work. And I did check the overwrite checkbox. So, lyrics that are locally imported should always be imported. Maybe get rid of the length check in that case (but still run it through the replace string parser).
Edit4: When exporting album art and there is no album name, the program used to use the song name instead. I think this has been fixed before but is broken again

Even when I explicitly say that it should export "artist" - "name", it doesn't do it (it doesn't do anything at all). That's obviously a bug.
And again, even when the export mask is set to "artist" - "album" and there is no album, it should automatically switch to "artist" - "name".

I can finally picture the whole process now:

Select the track/tracks in iTunes
Press "Import iTunes Store Artwork" in iTSfv
iTSfv attempts to the iTunes Store artwork via a dummy file
If there is an artwork, iTSfv embeds that into the selected track/tracks

are there any updates on this?

Thank You
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.

Reply #612
Jojo,

Actually the apostrophe in that song was different to what we took care of  earlier. I have listed both cases  here:

`,,,,'
’,,,,'

You will need to add the second line to replace-words.txt

Tracks without Album tag are ignored by default (globally). You need to allow this in 

Options > Advanced > Validation > Sources : Track Sources for Validation

The easiest approach for removing lyrics would be by going to

Selected Tracks > Remove the following tag from Track : Lyrics

The latest build here

http://code.google.com/p/itsfv/ will ignore LyricWiki's new behavior of sending "No Lyrics" string

Are you sure about exporting album art and there is no album name, the  program used to use the song name instead. I think this has been fixed before but is broken again I just exported an artwork with the file name Jack Johnson - (2008) Losing Keys.jpg after removing the album tag.

Select the track/tracks in iTunes
Press "Import iTunes Store Artwork" in iTSfv
iTSfv attempts to the iTunes Store artwork via a dummy file
If there is an artwork, iTSfv embeds that into the selected track/tracks

I can't remember the purpose of adding this function - probably why it wasn't added earlier. The function already exists, if I am not mistaken, in iTunes. To retrieve Artwork via iTunes, we remove the artwork. Right click the tracks and click "Get iTunes Album Artwork". iTunes Artwork if exists download now. Using iTSfv these tracks can be validated to embed the artwork in the usual way.

However, I have added this feature to work automatically as part of the Artwork Sources.

5.60.23.0 Ability to import Artwork from iTunes Store for selected tracks already in the library

[a href="http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/91/itsfv560betaoptions2008sb2.png" target="_blank"]

SongBird and iTunes are entirely different platforms and need to make an addon from scratch. SongBird doesn't offer grouping by AlbumArtist either. But I am keeping an eye on it.

Cheers,
McoreD

Reply #613
Thanks for your reply.

1) Most of my issues were resolved by checking that box  "Options > Advanced > Validation > Sources : Track Sources for Validation"

2) The only issue I've left is with the minimum characters for the lyrics import.

We implemented a minimum character count in order to prevent lyrics from being imported that were bogus (such as /*empty/* and stuff like that). However, it would make more sense to eliminate the minimum character count when determining whether lyrics are already embedded in the file (and hence deciding whether to replace them).

In other words, the program should only verify the minimum character count when importing lyrics online. The reason behind that is that the internet is an unknown source, so we don't know what we are getting. However, once we have embedded the lyrics, we can assume that there is no garbage. Since we are doing the minimum character check when downloading lyrics, the only way "garbage" can be added would be by the user. In that case, it is probably intended and therefore we shouldn't touch it. Just like in my case where I add stuff like "There are no lyrics in this song".

Therefore, I think the lyric embedding function should work as follows:
A) Are there any lyrics currently embedded? If yes, don't touch them (unless the overwrite function is activated in the options)
The criteria for deciding whether any lyric is embedded should be whether there is a character count greater than 0. You could make it even more fancy by ignoring any white spaces (just in case someone accidentally put a bunch white space in there at the beginning)
B) If there are indeed no lyrics, check for a local file. If there is a match, import the lyrics regardless of the length of the lyric that is stored inside the file.
If there is no local file, check online and this time (and this time only), we'll do the minimum character count in determining whether lyrics are imported.

What do you think? Simple idea, lots of writing

3) I've added the three dots ( …  ) to my replace file as "...", maybe that's something to include by default.

4)
5.60.23.0 Ability to import Artwork from iTunes Store for selected tracks already in the library

the idea behind this was to take advantage of iTSfv filters. For example, iTunes native album art function does not like stuff like "Album Name [OST]", but iTSfv strips out the brackets (at least that's what it used to do) and therefore it will most likely find album art.

5) There should be some sort of tooltip activation button right next to the option that allows you to use variables. The cover import paths or lyrics for instance. Currently, the tooltip that displays the variables that can be used only shows once and disappears after a while. The only way to bring it back is to leave the options menu and go back. With a button on the side of the input, it would be easier to figure out what variables can be used.

What do you think?

6) What is "Album Art DOwnloader XUI CLI"? it is currently unchecked, but if I check it it asks for a .exe

Reply #614
Jojo,

Actually there was no minimum character requirement when importing lyrics from online: LyricWiki, for the same reason: we don't know what we are getting. I have encountered some songs with just a few letters (less than 100 characters) and they were valid for that particular song. So to this date, there was no minimum character check for importing lyrics. The only time this was checked was when a user manually checks for Tag Completeness in Checks tab, pretty much like caution to identify the tracks with very short lyrics.

I went through the issue about importing lyrics form local files and I discovered that the problem you are experiencing is because the following wasn't happening:  import the lyrics regardless of the length of the lyric that is stored inside the file.

If iTSfv found out that the lyrics in file was empty then it ignored it. This was done for a good reason because the file could have been unreadable, or the lyrics server could have been unreachable (more likely). Now if you had "Overwrite Lyrics" during this situation, then you would have lost the lyrics - because now iTSfv would overwrite the Lyrics regardless the length of the lyrics it found.

I also added
Code: [Select]
’,,,,'
to the replace-words.txt.

Album Artwork Downloader XUI CLI is the commandline interface of the fabulous AAD: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=57392

Thanks for reminding me of the purpose of the feature. It is being tested and added to the next build.

Did you mean these:

Album ---------------- %Album%
Album Artist --------- %AlbumArtist%
Track Artist --------- %Artist%
Composer ------------- %Composer%
Disc Count ----------- %DiscCount%
Disc Number ---------- %DiscNumber%
File Name ------------ %FileName%
Genre ---------------- %Genre%
Track Name ----------- %Name%
Played Count --------- %PlayedCount%
Rating --------------- %Rating%
Track Count ---------- %TrackCount%
Track Number --------- %TrackNumber%
Year ----------------- %Year%

Great idea. I will see what is the best way to do this.

Cheers,
McoreD

P.S: Could you please explain the difficulty you are having in regards to Lyrics?

iTSfv currently does not accept local files with empty text. This will be ignored. Providing an empty file is not the way to remove lyrics.
To remove lyrics, go to Selected Tracks > Remove the following tag from Track : Lyrics

Reply #615
If iTSfv found out that the lyrics in file was empty then it ignored it. This was done for a good reason because the file could have been unreadable, or the lyrics server could have been unreachable (more likely). Now if you had "Overwrite Lyrics" during this situation, then you would have lost the lyrics - because now iTSfv would overwrite the Lyrics regardless the length of the lyrics it found.

right, however, I was talking about lyric files stored locally in txt files (not online). You know, when you import lyrics, itsfv first checks locally and then goes online. So I was suggesting ignoring the file length there. But apparently, there is no minimum character check.

However, if there is no minimum character check, then explain to me why my lyrics are overwritten when it says "There are no lyrics in this file" inside the iTunes lyrics tag. I have the overwrite feature turned off, but itsf still goes online and fetches lyrics for those songs. Songs that have longer lyrics are not overwritten.
I also added
’,,,,'
to the replace-words.txt.

what about
…,,,,...

Did you mean these:

Album ---------------- %Album%
Album Artist --------- %AlbumArtist%
Track Artist --------- %Artist%
Composer ------------- %Composer%
Disc Count ----------- %DiscCount%
Disc Number ---------- %DiscNumber%
File Name ------------ %FileName%
Genre ---------------- %Genre%
Track Name ----------- %Name%
Played Count --------- %PlayedCount%
Rating --------------- %Rating%
Track Count ---------- %TrackCount%
Track Number --------- %TrackNumber%
Year ----------------- %Year%

yea

Reply #616
Jojo,

May be this wasn't the intended behavior do you think? iTSfv currently doesn't check for lyrics locally first. For  tracks without* lyrics, it checks LyricWiki first and then checks a matching lyric file. This was done assuming that the online source has the most recent lyrics for the song.

*without lyrics = that doesn't pass the minimum character length check (apologies for previous contradiction)

So you are right about track lyrics of "There are no lyrics in this file" are treated as tracks without lyrics and they get queried online.

After the online check, if iTSfv still doesn't find lyrics, it checks for local file. If iTSfv reads any lyrics from text files, it will embed this.
If iTSfv does find lyrics from LyricWiki, then it would skip the local file check and embed the lyrics from LyricWiki.

Is there anything that you would like me to change?

I think the problem here is that your tracks with "There are no lyrics in this file" as lyrics are currently being treated as tracks without lyrics and iTSfv continues to check lyrics online, and you don't prefer that. It is almost like you don't want those tracks to be checked online for lyrics, may be to increase performance and avoid wasting time checking for lyrics when you know they are not there.

Suggestion solution if this is the case, is to reduce the character length to 32.

"There are no lyrics in this file" is 33 characters.

So from now on iTSfv will treat them as having lyrics and wouldn't go online.

Cheers,
McoreD

Reply #617
Is there anything that you would like me to change?

I changed the minimum character length.
However, if I remember correctly, the reason why we implemented that feature a while back was to ensure that we don't get any garbage from online lyrics. At this time, the minimum character count would only apply to lyrics we are getting from the internet, but would not be used as a criteria of whether a file contains lyrics or not. As of right now, I still get stuff like "/*empty*/" and similar useless strings.

I guess you don't mind getting useless strings embedded into your files, since you will check for new lyrics frequently and therefore will eventually end up with useful lyrics.
However, from a logical point of view, it doesn't make any sense.

Here is why: If you believe that lyricswiki will get better over time, that is, have more accurate lyrics, why would you only want to update lyrics that have less than 100 characters? In that case, you should be updating all of your lyrics, which can be accomplished by setting the overwrite function.

Therefore, I think iTSfv should handle lyrics the way it used to in previous versions: If a song contains any lyrics, don't update them unless the overwrite function is activated. (so, no minimum character check)

Therefore, use the minimum character check only when fetching lyrics online. People can adjust the character length to their needs. That's how we initially came up with the 100 character count, because it strips out the garbage and real lyrics are longer than 100 characters. But again, someone can reduce it to 50 or maybe even 30.

What do you think?

Reply #618
Jojo,

Thanks - I think I just solved the missing piece of the puzzle.

5.60.24.0 Import Lyrics from LyricWiki if the character count is at least a user configurable number [Jojo]

I think this build solves it.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/4lzngc

What you will see new is the minimum character length requirement for LyricWiki to have so that iTSfv will accept this as valid lyrics. I have set the default to be 15. So this should ignore words like /*Empty*/ by default.

Please let me know how this goes.

As per your suggestion, If a song contains any lyrics, iTSfv doesn't update them unless the overwrite function is activated. (so, no minimum character check).

Thanks.

Reply #619
thanks a lot. I appreciate it.

Also, we need a fix for stuff like that:
http://lyricwiki.org/Electric_President:Insomnia
http://lyricwiki.org/Morning_Runner:Burning_Benches

Is there a way to only fetch the original lyrics and no translations:
http://lyricwiki.org/Linkin_Park:One_Step_Closer

and here are some more additions for the replace words file:
’,,,,'
…,,,,...
‘,,,,'

how many more are there...

Also, I found a bug.
When exporting cover art, using the "Artist - Name" scheme, only one cover of the album is exported. Since we are exporting Song - Name however, there should be album art for each individual song, regardless of whether it comes from the same album.

In addition, for some odd reason, lyrics imported contain lots of line breaks at the end. Those weren't present before exporting and also aren't in the exported txt lyric. Weird.
I just checked again, there is a huge issue here. There are even line spaces in between.

Something like;
Princess cards she sends me with her regards,
Oh, bar-room eyes shine vacancy
To see her you gotta look hard

has turned into
Princess cards she sends me with her regards,

Oh, bar-room eyes shine vacancy

To see her you gotta look hard

not funny

Reply #620
Doesn't look like LyricWiki API allows choosing between translations. We are only left with  iTSfv.org.lyricwiki.LyricsResult.lyricsField which is string representation the song page.

That could be partially my fault for having line breaks. There are some lyrics without any line returns and only carriage returns so I had to replace carriage returns with carriage return + line return. The difference was only notable in Lyrics within iTunes or in Notepad sometimes. Notepad++ seemed to show any case fine. I have removed this behavior and now iTSfv will deliver Lyrics as it is - after processing the replace-words.txt of course.

Please find the carriage return fixed build here:

http://code.google.com/p/itsfv/

5.60.24.1 Removed possibility where carriage return would be replaced in Lyrics with carriage return and a line return [Jojo]
5.60.24.0 Import Lyrics from LyricWiki if the character count is at least a user configurable number [Jojo]

5.60.23.1 Delete Dead or Foreign Track checkBoxes in Library tab did not work while validating selected tracks
5.60.23.0 Ability to import Artwork from iTunes Store for selected tracks already in the library [Jojo]
5.60.22.1 When LyricWiki "Not Found" was erraneously treated as lyrics were found [pt_ha]
5.60.22.0 Option to fill "Sort Album Artist" tag from "Sort Artist" tag as part of filling Album Artist tag from Artist tag [pt_ha]
5.60.21.1 Removal of missing tracks will be skipped if iTSfv finds out one or more music folder locations are inaccessble at the time of operation
5.60.21.0 Add New Files window will show recommended Album Artist tag with an Autofill button to ease the decision of overwriting tags before adding tracks to library
5.60.20.3 Did not find lyrics for songs with brackets such as Sufjan Stevens: Flint (For The Unemployed And Underpaid) from LyricWiki [pt_ha]
5.60.20.2 When searching for lyrics, iTSfv will consider Artist tag as well as the AlbumArtist tag [pt_ha]

Reply #621
Doesn't look like LyricWiki API allows choosing between translations. We are only left with  iTSfv.org.lyricwiki.LyricsResult.lyricsField which is string representation the song page.

couldn't we just strip out the stuff that matches this pattern:
===xxxxxxx===
'''''Note:''' [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/xxxxx xxxx xxxx xxxxx] is used in this translation.''

I think you found a way how to get rid of that stuff a while ago.

That could be partially my fault for having line breaks. There are some lyrics without any line returns and only carriage returns so I had to replace carriage returns with carriage return + line return. The difference was only notable in Lyrics within iTunes or in Notepad sometimes. Notepad++ seemed to show any case fine. I have removed this behavior and now iTSfv will deliver Lyrics as it is - after processing the replace-words.txt of course.

I see. Glad to see it fixed. However, I was wondering if there could be anything done about lyrics with no line breaks. I was still using yesterdays build with the bug in it, but still got  no line breaks here:
http://lyricwiki.org/The_Format:Even_Better_Yet

A new feature would be to try to guess the line breaks.
I was thinking about something like breaking the line after each comma, but with a minimum character threshold. And then after 4 lines or so, do a double line break (for the verses)
This feature should only kick in if there are no line breaks of course, since we don't want to mess with the properly formatted lyrics.

Also, is there a way to get rid of the extra line break(s) at the very end of the lyrics? Both when importing locally and online?

Please find the carriage return fixed build here:

ok, but let me point out that this problem with the extra line breaks only occurred when importing lyrics locally. Lyrics there were fetched online didn't have this problem.

how do I use this feature? I turned it on in the options and tried it on a test track. It said that it was downloading artwork and it took a while, but there was no artwork. I then used iTunes to download the artwork and that worked (so there was definitely artwork available on the itunes server).

Thank You

Reply #622
Hi Jojo,

1/ I have added some experimental code for splitting lyrics without CrLf into lines. As discussed it will only kick in if the Lyrics doesn't already have CrLf to avoid undesirable results.

So the song above comes as follows.

its just the nicotine thats coming over me
or is it anything more then a smoke screen
cause i feel like you've been living a lie
you're looking better than
than you ever did, nothings better than
than you once said, i've been waiting but i've been losing my
losing my mind, i've gotta take the car for a long drive
i'm gonna get out and i'll commit myself
i dont know how you do what you do (do do do.) i gotta take the plan for a long ride
i wont believe a thing that you say
and all the cigarettes are getting better yet
i just can't forget all the other shit
i know you're in bed and to me thats just fine
but you can't sleep you're laying next to me
saying everything,  saying everything, that you would do if you could just open your eyes
well open your eyes, ive gotta take the car for a long drive
i dont know how you do what you do (do do do.) i gotta take the plan for a long ride
im gonna get out and i'll commit myself
i wont believe a thing that you say
oh you look so, so skin and thin and bones
and oh, oh you look so, so so so so, i know it doesn't end
it just gets better yet
i dont want to wait cause i cant think about what you never did
what you never did, would you, well i wouldnt,  wait, would you go? would you stay? i've gotta take the car for a long drive
i don't know how you do what you do (do do do.) i gotta take the plan for a long ride
im gonna get out and i'll commit myself
i won't believe a thing that you say

It's best not to guess the number of lines to perform a double line break.
As you can see there are inconsistencies when using this method: (do do do.) i gotta
The rest imo should be finalized by the user.

2/ It's not going to be easy stripping languages using string manipulation because it is a blind process resulting a dirty job. One would also then need the ability to select which language to save lyrics in.

3/ Next builds of iTSfv will attempt to trim unnecessary line breaks at the end of the lyrics.

4/ Looks like you have everything setup. If you have automatically import Album Artwork enabled in iTunes, it should be working like this:

http://www.wmwiki.com/mcored/research/itsf...work-itunes.wmv

Cr = Carriage Return
Lf = Line Feed

Reply #623
4/ Looks like you have everything setup. If you have automatically import Album Artwork enabled in iTunes, it should be working like this:

http://www.wmwiki.com/mcored/research/itsf...work-itunes.wmv

Thank You for your help. I don't seem to be able to get it to work.
I followed the video and have activated the checkboxes in the options.
The only setting that's different is in the Validate > Tracks setting. I only have the "Embed Artwork in C:\covers from iTunes or %Artist% - %Name%.jpg" setting checked. It says that it created a dummy file and that it is waiting for the artwork to finish downloading, but there is no album art in the song?

Any idea?

Reply #624
Jojo,

Do you have iTunes configured to automatically download Artwork? This is vital.

Temporarily activate "Manually choose Artwork" as in this screenshot and see if the artwork comes up.

I tried forcing a wrong artwork into a track and attempting the same procedure. This time I had only Embed Artwork in C:\covers from iTunes or %Artist% - %Name%.jpg" checked.

http://wmwiki.com/mcored/research/itsfv/itunes-artwork2.wmv

You will notice at the 27th second, as soon as the dummy file is added to iTunes, the proper artwork is added to the dummy file by iTunes. Afterwards, the dummy file gets deleted.