Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AAC at 128kbps v2 listening test - FINISHED (Read 63675 times) previous topic - next topic

AAC at 128kbps v2 listening test - FINISHED

Reply #275
oki, but still it doesnt change my opinion that only testing problem samples will have problems bringing significant results

anyways i am sure you will make a good decision

The next test will have two traditional problem samples at most. No point testing more than that, the test loses significance and usability.

Reply #276
did you already decide on atrac?

from what i read on sony's hp i think testing atrac3 from SonicStage Version 1.5.53 (seems to be the latest recommended for minidiscs/atrac-cd) should be the best

would be really interesting imo to have a new codec tested and also thinking about sony plans for an atrac music shop
I know, that I know nothing (Socrates)

Reply #277
did you already decide on atrac?

The discussion on the 128kbps Multiformat test will start soon.

And the test will probably start by April 7th.

The 5 main codecs are already set on stone (iTunes, Musepack, Lame, Vorbis and WMA standard) so the discussion will be wether to use Atrac or some sort of anchor. Since I'm personally tired of people claiming some of my tests are bad because no anchor was featured, I vote for anchor.

BTW: No more than 6 codecs, of course.

Reply #278
what about dropping mpc as it didnt change since the last test? also its good to have one great, hardly to abx codec less

Reply #279
what about dropping mpc

Definitely not. It was the codec that performed best (although, for the record, it didn't win!), so it should be the parameter against which others should be compared.

Besides, Apple AAC barely changed since last test, and Vorbis only underwent some very small unofficial tunings by enthusiasts. So that argument isn't very strong.

Reply #280
hm not much left to decide than anyways 

Reply #281
hm not much left to decide than anyways 

Yes, I decided to become less democratic since the horrendous fiasco of the AAC test (3 polls!).

Reply #282
hm thinking about it again this would mean that the only reason this test is done is to see how wma9 std does
not really exciting

i vote for taking a new codec in 

Reply #284
hm it was your argument that vorbis and itunes didnt change that much not mine 

either way i am highly interested in this test

Reply #285
hm it was your argument that vorbis and itunes didnt change that much not mine 

I am confident they changed very few. It's now up to you guys to take this information and decide if a test is justifiable or not.

Reply #286
comparing the codecs to wma9 std is imo already reason enough for a test (simply to make once and for all clear how "good" wma9 and all the music stores using it are)

i think the test can be labelled as a comparison of music stores, and therefore it would make sense to take atrac3 in imho
as i said information is maybe the most important thing for a consumer in a market and nothing is bringing more light into the codec jungle than your tests, rjamorim

and personally i am not interested in mpc (and i think also not many people outside this community, sorry to say it that way) but in vorbis

Reply #287
My vote would be for a lower bitrate test.
IMHO it would be much more usefull.

Reply #288
My vote would be for a lower bitrate test.
IMHO it would be much more usefull.

A dial-up bitrate (48kbps) test is scheduled for May.