Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Multimedia Keyboard (Read 1511 times) previous topic - next topic

Multimedia Keyboard

Hi,

just converted to foobar from WA5 coz basically it was sucking the life out of my pc, and foobar was just neat!

I have managed to get like a 99% feature match from WA5 as well which has been great. I do however have one problem, and that's been with my Dell Inspiron 8200 Laptop's multimedia keyboard.

I have read ALL the posts I can find on these forums, including all the ones RE third-party plugins etc and cannot find ANYTHING that will work with my Dell keyboard. This includes playing with all the options in fb2k (too many permutations to list, so just trust that I have tried them all! )

At home, on my M$ Multimedia keyboard it works a treat!

Now, the interesting thing is this: while I said it doesn't work on my laptop that's not entirely true - the global hotkey is added to the list (it's blank when you press the key for capture, but is added nonetheless) and works, BUT that SINGLE hotkey is "recognised" when I press ANY of my multimedia keys! i.e. Capture play/pause button, add it to the global hotkeys and then if I press any of the multimedia keys it's treated as the play/pause hotkey! (hope this is not too confusing)

So, I tried it in WA5 as it's now also got hotkey thingies, and guess wot? Same sort of thing. Now when I had this working fully under WA5, it was via this 3rd Party plugin. As I said, this plugin worked a treat, but if I looked at the properties of the captured keys I found an interesting thing:

All the multimedia keys captured had the same (lets call it) key code something like :
[000000FF] [00000001] - Play/Pause
[000000FF] [00000002] - Previous
[000000FF] [00000003] - Next
[000000FF] [00000005] - Stop

And under WA5, the only key that I could capture was this:
1x1000000

All the other keys were recognised as the digits 2/3/4 in the capture process, but appeared in the list as the 1x1000000.

What I am thinking is that the multimedia keys are (for want of a better way to describe it) like an array, and that WA5 and fb2k are both recognising the "whole array" ([000000FF] or 1x1000000) no matter which key is pressed rather than the actual key "in the array" ([00000001/2/3/4] ??) - this is evidenced by the second recognised part of the capture process in the plugin above:
[000000FF] [00000001] - Play/Pause.

As I said, I tried a number of third party key capture programs which didn't work, and the only I have found that does is this particular WA plugin - so it IS possible. Is there anyone in the fb2k team who is interested in using me as a test to investigate this further? I would dearly love to get this working fully, as I only have play/pause working atm.

And before loads of people just tell me to bind the the funtions to a key that DOES work, pls don't - u're missing the point, they multimedia keys, they DO work, but obviously need a little more investigating - and I would like to see fb2k be better than wa in ALL respects!

Tnx in advance, and apologies for the loooong post.