Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Itunes shows lower bitrates on songs until they are clicked (Read 3785 times) previous topic - next topic

Itunes shows lower bitrates on songs until they are clicked

I encode using quicktime tvbr by converting to alac then encoding using quicktime.I have allot of songs, and found on my ipods song list when i'd click songs the bitrate would increase about 3-4 rates up on its average.Now, on itunes the songs do the same thing, only increasing when clicked on.Does this have any effect on the audio quality or anything, or is this just some kind of tag error.

Reply #1
iTunes probably doesn't bother to check the actual bitrate until you click on the track.

Reply #2
Where are you seeing the bitrate in iTunes?

IME, iTunes is very good at displaying accurate bitrates for properly-encoded files (i.e. files with complete, intact headers) in the "Bit Rate" column, under both OS X and Windows - I've never seen it change a bitrate value before.  What program are you using to encode from ALAC to AAC?

Also, where are you seeing a bitrate value on your iPod?  I've never seen an iPod display a bitrate, nor my iPhone 4 (nor do I care  ).
"Not sure what the question is, but the answer is probably no."

Reply #3
I've seen iTunes (for Windows) change the displayed* bitrate on files after having it edit tags, so I don't believe this is at all unusual.

(*) right-click on the columns header, select Bit Rate.

Reply #4
Where are you seeing the bitrate in iTunes?

IME, iTunes is very good at displaying accurate bitrates for properly-encoded files (i.e. files with complete, intact headers) in the "Bit Rate" column, under both OS X and Windows - I've never seen it change a bitrate value before.  What program are you using to encode from ALAC to AAC?

Also, where are you seeing a bitrate value on your iPod?  I've never seen an iPod display a bitrate, nor my iPhone 4 (nor do I care  ).

I use dbpower amp convert for alac, and quicktime aac program itself to convert.And when i said ipod i meant the ipod music tab in itunes does the same thing, i click a song, the bitrates updates *to what i assume is its actual value*, by like 3 points, for example, i click a song, it shows 99, when clicked, it shows like 102 or 103

I've seen iTunes (for Windows) change the displayed* bitrate on files after having it edit tags, so I don't believe this is at all unusual.

(*) right-click on the columns header, select Bit Rate.

I did, and i still see the same thing

what is the latest version of itunes?

the latest