Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: iPod manager (Read 2239604 times) previous topic - next topic

[seemingly abandonware] iPod manager

Reply #3925
Would it be technically possible to update foo_dop to support modern iPhones/iPad/iPods? This component is so good and since there is no alternative in sight (which sounds so strange considering the popularity of iOS and foobar...) I'd be ready to throw a couple of bucks towards someone who gets it working again...

Reply #3926
Would it be technically possible to update foo_dop to support modern iPhones/iPad/iPods? This component is so good and since there is no alternative in sight (which sounds so strange considering the popularity of iOS and foobar...) I'd be ready to throw a couple of bucks towards someone who gets it working again...

I support, I am sure there will be more willing to help the development of this component.
last.fm | bulletproof2k

Reply #3927
There are at least three things needed:
  • Shift all code that interfaces with Apple libraries to a separate process. All the Apple libraries iPod manager uses are 64-bit in iTunes 12.1 on Windows 64-bit. Hence, it's no longer possible to directly load them as we're in a 32-bit process. The code that interfaces with them needs to be shifted to a separate process with inter-process communication used instead.
  • Write code that uses the new syncing mechanisms. It's all changed so not exactly trivial. There are plenty of unknowns so it would take some effort working out all those details.
  • Implied by the previous point, but there is cryptographic signing involved in syncing which would need to be replicated. It could probably could be overcome in similar ways to previous ones though.
As for updating foo_dop, one would need the source code. But experts on iOS syncing are few and far between...

Reply #3928
hmm, this then looks more bleak than I anticipated initially.  Oh well, manual managing it is I guess.

That said, anyone know a foobar converter that also embeds album art into MP3s? The default one only copies it...

Reply #3929
I use ipod nano 7g, fw version 1.0.2
windows 7 64bit
iPhoneCalc.dll is present
foobar2000 v1.3.8
foo_dop 0.6.9.7

Code: [Select]
I tried 10.4.1 x64 version of iTunes, installing just Apple Application Support (1.5.2) and Apple Mobile Device support (3.4.1.2), then I can't sync it, when I try to sync I get message "Failed to query SQL post process commands. Write operations are disabled." But I do not get any message when I start up foobar2000.

And I tried 10.5.1 x64 version of iTunes, installing just AAS (2.1.5) and AMDS (4.0.0.97), then I get this annoying message on foobar2000startup: "Failed to locate function AMDeviceNotificationGetThreadHandle", and also get the same message as above when I try to sync.
10.5.3 is the same as 10.5.1

From 10.6.1 x64, AAS 2.1.7, AMDS 5.1.1.4, I still get the annoying startup message, but everything I've tried works fine (sync, send to ipod)
10.6.3 is the same as 10.6.1
and also the same is unknown iTunes version with AAS 2.1.9 and AMDS 5.2.0.6.

12.1.2 x64 brings two different AAS (x32 and x64, both 3.1.3). If I just install the x64 and then AMDS 8.1.1.3 I get this on startup:
"Please install or reinstall Apple Application Support. (Error: Failed to query registry for AAS directory -  "file can't be found".  )"
and if I install both and then AMDS I get this:
"Please install or reinstall Apple Mobile Device Support. (Error: Failed to query registry for AMDS directory - "file can't be found".  )"

But syncing and sending still works on 12.1.2 versions...
tl:dr annoying startup messages with the versions that work.

I know about the status of this component, but does anybody know if there is a way to get rid of these messages on startup but still have a functioning foo_dop?

Reply #3930
You can disable mobile device support in preferences if you aren't using an iOS device. It's not enabled by default.

Reply #3931
You can disable mobile device support in preferences if you aren't using an iOS device. It's not enabled by default.

Wow, that's easy. Was sure I needed that ticked for some reason, but very nice.

Reply #3932
I'm posting the steps I took to get my iPod Touch 3G working again with foo_dop after accidentally updating Quicktime (which I never used) thus breaking syncing to my iPod. I had previously been using foo_dop v0.6.8.3 from years back. I do not recall which version of iTunes installer I originally used for AAS and AMDS (probably v9.0 or v9.1).
Anyways, this is how I got my iPod to sync again with foobar2000.

Relevant program versions used:
  • Windows 7 x64
  • iPod Touch 3G, model MC008C (32GB), iOS v4.1
  • foobar2000 v1.1.5
  • foo_dop v0.6.9.7
  • Apple Application Support v2.1.7 (from iTunes 10.6.1 x64 installer)
  • Apple Mobile Device Support x64 v5.1.1.4 (from iTunes 10.6.1 x64 installer)
  • Neither iTunes nor Quicktime installed
  • iPhoneCalc library not nessesary

Steps taken:
  • Uninstall all previous versions of iTunes, Apple Application Support, Apple Mobile Device Support, Quicktime
  • Update foo_dop to version 0.6.9.7 if you haven't already
  • Download iTunes 10.6.1 x64 installer (found here: http://www.oldversion.com/windows/itunes/) and extract/unpack the iTunes64Setup.exe file using a file archiver such as 7zip. Inside there are six msi installer files.
  • Install AppleMobileDeviceSupport64.msi
  • Install AppleApplicationSupport.msi

When starting foobar2000, there should not be any error messages that pop up. I also had to perform a "Rewrite database" on my iPod via foo_dop before it could synchronize again. Before I did this, it would always tell me that the iPod could not be found when I tried to do a sync, yet it knew it was there and I could view my iPod properties via foo_dop just fine. After a "Rewrite database" everything was fine again.
Hopefully this helps someone else!

Edit: Recently I discovered that with the above configuration foobar now crashes every time I close it (and on start-up again it gives the safe-mode dialog option popup). It has something to do with foo_dop v0.6.9.7 and the versions of AAS and/or AMDS I was using. I have since tried a different version of AAS and AMDS, still using foo_dop v0.6.9.7 and it appears to have stopped foobar from crashing during exit. I now use Apple Application Support v1.5.2 and Apple Mobile Device Support x64 v3.4.1.2 which can be found within the iTunes 10.3 x64 installer. Link to iTunes 10.3 x64 installer: http://www.oldapps.com/itunes.php?old_itunes=79

Reply #3933
[The hard drive where I has all my music stored "died". I did not even get a chance to transfer any data before this happened]
Q: Is it possible to used this plugin [or something else in Foobar] to transfer all my music on my IPod Classic to my hard drive? I believe this would be a "reverse sync". Any ideas? I know this is possible in Window Media Player [for example].

Reply #3934
Assuming you can load your iPod library using foo_dop, you should be able to select all the tracks in the "iPod View" playlist and use the File Operations -> Copy to... menu function.

Reply #3935
Assuming you can load your iPod library using foo_dop, you should be able to select all the tracks in the "iPod View" playlist and use the File Operations -> Copy to... menu function.

I posed my question here also: General. One thing I am worried about is preserving my original folder/file hierarchy/structure as much as possible. i.e. D:\iPod\My Music\U2\[2014] Songs of Innocence\01. The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone) is one example.

Reply #3936
You can use the File Name Pattern option in the Copy To dialog to automatically generate file and directory names according to the tracks' tags.

Reply #3937
You can use the File Name Pattern option in the Copy To dialog to automatically generate file and directory names according to the tracks' tags.

Thx! [When I tried this w/o your idea, I got folders: F00, F01, etc. w/each containing music files].

But, I have already started using Windows Media Player [w/the help of a plug-in] to do the transfer. The only problem with this approach is the WMP does not seem to recognize the album art from the iPod. The worse case scenario here would mean having to add all of the album art back by hand.

Reply #3938
Addendum to above:
WMP successfully transferred all my music to my hard drive. However... Every music file now has duplicate track numbers in front of the song title. i.e. 01. 01. A Hard Day's Night
In the iPod Manager>Database>Title, I have "%tracknumber%, %title%". I do this so that I always have a track number displaying on my iPod. It has always worked fine.
This is a disaster if I have to repeat the sync. With almost 100GB of music, it take hours to do the sync. Any idea? Do I need to start over again?

Reply #3939

I just discovered that using the "Load Library" function from the iPod menu puts the contents into a playlist. What this means is you need to switch from "Library" to "Playlist".

If you could provide me with the "File Name Pattern" that I need to get the file/folder hierarchy/structure that I want. And, each MP3 file name in the form: 01. Song Title.mp3. Or, is all of this "default" when you use the "Copy to..."?

Reply #3940
you would probably need something like this in your naming format

%artist%\'['%date%']' %album%\%tracknumber%. %title%

If you have various artist albums you might need to use

%album artist%\'['%date%']' %album%\%tracknumber%. %title%
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #3941
you would probably need something like this in your naming format

%artist%\'['%date%']' %album%\%tracknumber%. %title%

If you have various artist albums you might need to use

%album artist%\'['%date%']' %album%\%tracknumber%. %title%

Thx! This is a good start. I have something in the database part of iPod Manager that displays the year on every album. I am not sure if this will produce the year [prefacing the album name] or if it needs to be explicit as in your example above?

Reply #3942
Could you attach a screenshot of the metadata on one of the files you have loaded in to foobar using the load library command? This will show us what tags you can use. If the info is in the ipod database you won't be able to use it for naming.

E.G.

I can use

%Artist% = The Beatles
%Track% = Good Morning, Good Morning
%Album% = Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Mono)
%Date% = 1967
%Tracknumber% = 11
%Album Artist% = Normally Various artists would be in here if it's empty then it will be the same as %artist%.

You can use ' to put in square brackets e.g. '[' ']'

Reply #3943
If you could provide me with the "File Name Pattern" that I need to get the file/folder hierarchy/structure that I want. And, each MP3 file name in the form: 01. Song Title.mp3. Or, is all of this "default" when you use the "Copy to..."?

Here's a screenshot visually describing what I mean. You should be able to extrapolate your preferred naming scheme from the example provided:

If you're not sure what the tags for a given file are, you can open the Properties dialog mentioned by A_Man_Eating_Duck. If you're not sure what placeholder refers to what tag, you can look that up in the Title Formatting Reference article on the Hydrogenaudio Knowledgebase.

Reply #3944
@A_Man_Eating_Duck
@Zarggg
I wanted to thank both of you for your time and effort helping me!

I wanted to take a "detour" for a moment. I had used Windows Media Player [w/plug-in that allows WMP to "see" iPod] to transfer all the music. This worked very well [except for some missing artwork] There was one wrinkle. All tracks that lacked the album_artist tag were found under the "Unknown Artist" folder on the hard drive after the transfer. Since this worked well, I thought maybe I could define the album_artist tag as = the artist tag for all music? Using this guide, I would just set album_artist == %artist% Can either of you see any potential pitfalls here?

Reply #3945
@Zarggg

I am going to test the Foobar copy with File Name Pattern: %artist%\['['%date%']']%album%\%tracknumber% - %title% and see what happens. I might like to get disc numbers in there, but only where the number of discs is > 1.

Reply #3946
@TheEmpathicEar

I suggest you do the copy in small batches, once the batch is done remove it from the playlist and do the next. This allows you to preview and then fine tune and tweak your file naming pattern just to suit the batch.

Reply #3947
@TheEmpathicEar

I suggest you do the copy in small batches, once the batch is done remove it from the playlist and do the next. This allows you to preview and then fine tune and tweak your file naming pattern just to suit the batch.

Thx! I might try this too.
1. When using Foobar [as opposed to WMP], the "Unknown Artist" folder on the hard drive no longer appears [for those albums that either have album artist missing or blank.
2. There is still some album art missing even though every album on the iPod has album art.
3. I have a playlist: Rolling Stone Magazine - 500 Greatest Albums of all time. Originally, i had all the tracks in one folder along with the playlist. But, after doing the above transfer, all of these tracks are now appearing the artist folders and it's not clear that the playlist was transferred.

Reply #3948
About #3 above, do playlists have to be transferred differently? The load library command seems to load music, but I did not see any playlist?

Reply #3949
2. If the album art is not embedded in the file you will need to re download it. You can use album art downloader to help you with this.

3. You can't recover the playlists with this plugin.