Reply to this topicStart new topic
metamp3 - command line tool
tycho
post Oct 31 2008, 10:51
Post #101

Group: Members
Member No.: 8183

QUOTE (Moonbase @ Oct 29 2008, 11:03) *
I just did some testing and found that metamp3 seems to be extremely »intelligent« on updating replay gain values:

I used a command like
metamp3.exe --2 --replay-gain "file1.mp3" "file2.mp3" "file3.mp3" …
on the tracks of an album that had replaygain tags before, except that I deleted them from one file, to see what it would do.

Apparently it »detected« that one file from the album had no replaygain tags and so it would have to recalculate all files in order to find an appropriate album gain. (Which it did.)

When using exact the same command again, it would just say »Updating ID3…« and be finished much faster (without re-calculating all the gains again).

Can this really be true? Did anyone verify this?

If that is really how it works – KUDOS again to Tycho!!!

Yes, this is how it was supposed to work, but I seem to recall that this logic was basically taken from the mp3gain code, so we should give kudos to the author of mp3gain as well.

I guess I could start with making a new id3lib based beta with some of the suggestions that has been made here as they are quite minor. I will in any case have to start out with the current metamp3 code base.

Cheers.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Moonbase
post Nov 1 2008, 03:59
Post #102

Member No.: 61251

QUOTE (tycho @ Oct 31 2008, 10:51) *
I guess I could start with making a new id3lib based beta with some of the suggestions that has been made here as they are quite minor. I will in any case have to start out with the current metamp3 code base.

That’d be fantastic since it seems it’s the most versatile command line tool around, and it can so readily be integrated into other workflows (I mostly use it in conjunction with Mp3tag and automated batch file processes). Just the thing to save a lot of valuable time.

Thanks for considering some updates of your tool after all that time!
And yes, kudos to Glen Sawyer and Dave Lasker. smile.gif

--------------------
Moonbase: The Problem Solver (use link in profile)
+Quote Post
Akkurat
post Feb 12 2009, 00:27
Post #103

REACT Mod developer

Group: Developer
Member No.: 48750

Found a bug in metamp3 (tested with versions: 0.91 and 0.92 beta 5).

If the filename ends in ..mp3 (or with any multiples of 2 consecutive period chars) (e.g. 01 Theme From M.A.S.H..mp3 or 02 My Only Friend, The End....mp3), metamp3 fails to parse these filenames correctly, in example when running --apply-gain or --replay-gain functions with *.mp3 (e.g. metamp3.exe --replay-gain *.mp3). In order to get also these "special" files to count in these function calculations, you need to execute the command with all the filenames wrapped in quotes ( " ) (e.g. metamp3.exe --replay-gain "01 Theme From M.A.S.H..mp3" "02 My Only Friend, The End....mp3").
+Quote Post
BigIUFan
post Mar 17 2009, 17:56
Post #104

Member No.: 68077

Tycho,

Perhaps you have already addressed this, but do you have plans to make the source available?

Thanks.
+Quote Post
djrobx
post Apr 1 2009, 01:23
Post #105

Member No.: 68513

Another possible, minor bug. I'm trying to add the tag to tell iTunes it's part of a gapless album.

--frame "COMM[iTunPGAP]{eng}:1"

*should* work, but the resulting file is slightly different than what iTunes outputs. Comparing the binary files, metamp3 puts 0x0e 00 00 00 + "engiTunPGAP" where iTunes has 0x10 00 00 00 + "engiTunPGAP"

+Quote Post
Tronar
post Apr 19 2009, 01:23
Post #106

Member No.: 69051

QUOTE (tycho @ Apr 2 2007, 10:03) *
1. Next version will support the prevent clipping option, along with other mp3gain options (equals).

2. It does both when specifying multiple input files, e.g. *.mp3, just like mp3gain. Only track gain when specifying one input file.

edit: also, the executable will be linked statically with the VC8 runtime libraries.

Hi,

does anyone know if these functions found their way into the latest metamp3 (v0.92b5)?
According to the date of the post of the author tycho (02-Apr-2007) and the creation date of the metamp3.exe (29-Mar-2007) I am afraid that this was not the case. unsure.gif

On the other hand tycho stated in his post, that "the [new] executable [including those features] will be linked statically with the VC8 runtime libraries."
Well, the latest available beta 5 says it "is now linked with the VC8 runtime libs"... Hmmm. blink.gif

So maybe these features did indeed find their way into that last version tycho has published. unsure.gif

Can anyone shed some light onto that topic?

Thanks in advance,

Tronar
+Quote Post
Forfit
post Sep 15 2009, 22:33
Post #107

Member No.: 68870

I have a list of MP3s with the lyrics saved in Minilyrics.
there is a software to extract all the lyrics in single file. txt?
for example alfa.mp3 -> alfa.txt
+Quote Post
mkm-8765654009
post Dec 1 2009, 10:25
Post #108

Member No.: 75484

hi tycho,
thanks a lot for your excellent tool. you said post feature requests as a reply, so here is one: is it possible to add the tag "Album-Interpret" to the list of supported tags? or is that already supported and i'm overseeing something? i'm using v092b5.
best regards, mkm
+Quote Post
stereotype
post Mar 21 2011, 20:24
Post #109

Member No.: 37260

Any chance of open sourcing this excellent tool?
+Quote Post
BigIUFan
post Sep 10 2013, 19:48
Post #110

Member No.: 68077

I think we can put a fork in it, it's done. I was hoping that Tycho would make the source available to those of us that might carry it forward.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th September 2014 - 12:07