Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FFSoX Player 0.1 Initial Release (Read 82630 times) previous topic - next topic

FFSoX Player 0.1 Initial Release

Reply #25

Thank you so much for this - it's made a world of difference with my setup (emu 1212m -> Behringer B2031A monitors).  I hope this isn't a TOS #8 violation. I've been trying to sell my friends on trying it out.  I'm not using the resampling or the dithering...  I realize some of the issues with seeking are intractable right now - what else is on the development horizon?

Reply #26
Thanks a lot, sboistan.

what else is on the development horizon?

Currently I don't see any urgent need to change something. However, there are some ideas:
  • Make the "hidden" feature described above official, i.e. allow for pseudo-tagging via a CSV file. Before making this feature an official one there are some refinements needed allowing more flexibility for the user.
  • Allow for more DSP effects offered by SoX, e.g. the contrast, compand and mcompand effects (cf. http://sox.sourceforge.net/sox.html).
What would you like to see?

Reply #27

Both of those features would be great.  I haven't tried the CSV pseudo-tagging yet (I'm willing to do it, but would appreciate an easier technique for tagging), but I have an archive of MKV'd 2-channel music dvds that I'd love to be able to replaygain and play using FFsox output.  For low-volume listening, I've been using a multiband dynamic range compressor called Breakaway Pipeline (16 bit input/output only) and would be very interested in trying mcompand.

2 minor issues:  1. I can't get it to see RG values with any aac file.  Ogg and Flac are fine.  2. With a number of different file types, if I right click for file info in Winamp, it lists FFmpeg as the decoder, while it says FFsox is being used in the albumart playback panel (big bento skin).  Has the file been opened by ffsox or ffmpeg?

Reply #28
1. I can't get it to see RG values with any aac file.

How do you RG AAC?

2. With a number of different file types, if I right click for file info in Winamp, it lists FFmpeg as the decoder, while it says FFsox is being used in the albumart playback panel (big bento skin).  Has the file been opened by ffsox or ffmpeg?

Of course it's the FFSoX plug-in. Internally FFSoX may choose the SoX or the FFmpeg library for opening and decoding the file. That's the information you get from the info dialog. It's just another example for that the FFSoX plug-in doesn't re-invent the wheel but instead uses the underlying libraries.

Sound processing is done by SoX in any case.

Reply #30
How do you RG AAC?

Sorry, I meant replaygained aac in mp4/m4a container (replaygaining done by Foobar2000).  I'm not sure if I want to resort to AACGain.

Of course it's the FFSoX plug-in. Internally FFSoX may choose the SoX or the FFmpeg library for opening and decoding the file. That's the information you get from the info dialog. It's just another example for that the FFSoX plug-in doesn't re-invent the wheel but instead uses the underlying libraries.

Sound processing is done by SoX in any case.

Ok, that's what I was trying to ask - if Sox was doing the sound processing.  Thanks.

Reply #31
1. I can't get it to see RG values with any aac file.

In order to get an idea I did the following:
  • Created an AAC file using NeroAacEnc:
    Code: [Select]
    D:\>neroaacenc -if C:\WINDOWS\Media\RINGIN.WAV -of RINGIN.M4A
    *  Nero AAC Encoder                                         *
    *  Copyright 2009 Nero AG                                   *
    *  All Rights Reserved Worldwide                            *
    *  Package build date: Feb 18 2010                          *
    *  Package version:    1.5.4.0                              *
    *  See -help for a complete list of available parameters.   *

Processed 0 seconds...

D:\>_
  • Calculated RG values using WaveGain:
    wavegain -a C:\WINDOWS\Media\RINGIN.WAV

Analyzing...

Gain   |  Peak  | Scale | New Peak |Left DC|Right DC| Track
               |        |       |          |Offset | Offset |
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    -10.04 dB |  23039 |  0.31 |     7252 |   34  |     0  | C:\WINDOWS\Media\RINGIN.WAV

Recommended Album Gain: -10.04 dB      Scale: 0.3148

WaveGain Processing completed normally

• Tagged the M4A file accordingly using NeroAacTag (please note the switch -meta-user instead of -meta, i.e. non-standard meta data):
    D:\>neroaactag RINGIN.M4A "-meta-user:replaygain_track_gain=-10.04" "-meta-user:replaygain_album_gain=-10.04"
    *  Nero MPEG-4 Audio Tagger                                 *
    *  Package build date: Dec 17 2009                          *
    *  Package version:    1.5.1.0                              *

Processing file: "RINGIN.M4A"
    Updating MP4 file...
    File updated successfully.

• Listed the M4A's metadata using NeroAacTag:
    D:\>neroaactag RINGIN.M4A -list-meta
    *  Nero MPEG-4 Audio Tagger                                 *
    *  Package build date: Dec 17 2009                          *
    *  Package version:    1.5.1.0                              *

Processing file: "RINGIN.M4A"
      Metadata list:
        cdec = ndaudio 1.5.4.0 / -q 0.50
        itunsmpb =  00000000 00000A40 000002C3 00000000000026FD 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
    00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
        replaygain_album_gain = -10.04
        replaygain_track_gain = -10.04
        tool = Nero AAC codec / 1.5.4.0
      End of metadata.
    No changes made to the file.

These tags are honored by WA's build-in AAC decoder but not by the FFSoX plug-in. Propably the reason is the following.
  • Listed the M4A's metadata using FFmpeg:
    D:\>ffmpeg -i RINGIN.M4A
    FFmpeg version SVN-r24743-snapshot, Copyright (c) 2000-2010 the FFmpeg developers
      built on Aug 13 2010 08:20:05 with gcc 4.5.0
      configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --disable-pthreads --enable-w32threads --enable-
    runtime-cpudetect --enable-memalign-hack
      libavutil     50.23. 0 / 50.23. 0
      libavcore      0. 3. 0 /  0. 3. 0
      libavcodec    52.84. 3 / 52.84. 3
      libavformat   52.78. 1 / 52.78. 1
      libavdevice   52. 2. 1 / 52. 2. 1
      libavfilter    1.31. 0 /  1.31. 0
      libswscale     0.11. 0 /  0.11. 0
    Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from 'RINGIN.M4A':
      Metadata:
        major_brand     : mp42
        minor_version   : 0
        compatible_brands: M4A mp42isom
        encoder         : Nero AAC codec / 1.5.4.0
      Duration: 00:00:01.20, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 27 kb/s
        Chapter #0.0: start 0.238005, end 1.207438
        Metadata:
          title           :
        Stream #0.0(und): Audio: aac, 11025 Hz, mono, s16, 16 kb/s
    At least one output file must be specified

It looks like FFmpeg is not reading non-standard meta data from M4A. Someone should provide FFmpeg with an according patch ...
I should set the psudo-tagging feature of the FFSoX plug-in to first priority in order to work around missing FFmpeg features.

Reply #32
v0.4.5 released

What's new?
  • Fixed mapping tags (under certain circumstances "Album Artist" where not properly mapped or could mask "Album").
  • Fixed playing mono.
  • Changed suggestion when to use "multiple integer" mode for up-sampling.
For details go here.
For download go here.

Reply #33
v0.4.6 released[blockquote]http://sourceforge.net/projects/in-ffsox/files/[/blockquote]What's new?
  • Support for mixed ReplayGain and EBU R128 playback added:

• The configuration allows for defining a relative gain between the two standards, typically about 5 dB. The relative gain can be adjusted according to the user's preferences.
    • It is possible to switch between the normative loudness of both approaches, -23 LUFS and 83 dB, respectively. The respective gains are adapted automatically.
    • If the "Write Comment" is checked RG respective information is written into the File Info's comment field

• Depending on whether the effective gain resulting from RG and pre-amp is an amplification or an attenuation up-sampling is done first or last in the processing chain, respectively, in order to avoid clipping.

Reply #35
FFmpeg has "bumped" their DLLs:
  • avutil-50.dll => avutil-51.dll
  • avcodec-52.dll => avcodec-53.dll
  • avformat-52.dll => avformat-53.dll
  • avcore-0.dll dropped
Version 0.4.6.4 released:
[blockquote]Home: http://in-ffsox.sourceforge.net/
Download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/in-ffsox/files/[/blockquote]
What's new?
  • Compatible to the latest (bumped) FFmpeg versions.
For upgrading to full FFmpeg (needed for playback of e.g. MP3, H264 and many other codecs and formats) get the FFmpeg DLLs from the latest shared builds

Reply #36
The decoder for mp3 and ac3 files seems to be locked to libavcodec (16 bit, float/16 bit in the case of ac3 files) in these newer versions.  I suppose it shouldn't make much of a difference perceptually...

Reply #37
The decoder for mp3 and ac3 files seems to be locked to libavcodec (16 bit, float/16 bit in the case of ac3 files) in these newer versions.  I suppose it shouldn't make much of a difference perceptually...

This is by intention because it is the correct behaviour in case "libmad.dll" and "liba52.dll" are not available.

Hopefully the next version will make the 32 bit float decoders from libavcodec available.

Reply #38
Version 0.4.6.5 released:
What's new?
  • Enables 32 bit float format for decoding e.g. MP3, AC3 and other lossy audio codecs.
  • Enables (and requires) usage of FFmpeg's "swscale-2.dll", i.e. compatible to the latest FFmpeg versions. For upgrading to full FFmpeg (needed for playback of e.g. MP3, H264 and many other codecs and formats) get the FFmpeg DLLs from the latest shared builds at Zeranoe: http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win32/shared/.

Reply #39
Version 0.4.6.6 released:
What's new?
  • Provided the option "Force Seek" in order to allow for seeking without any test whether seeking is supported by a format or not.
    NOTE: If checked and a particular format doesn't support seeking the behavior is undefined.
  • Provided the option "Prefer Float" for switching on/off 32 bit floating point decoders for lossy codecs.

Reply #41
Too bad that tags and RG for Musepack still don't work...

Reply #42
Version 0.4.7 released:
What's new?
  • According to FFmpeg.org: FFmpeg development has gone into OVERDRIVE. As a consequence the FFSoX Player plugin wasn't compiling any longer using the latest FFmpeg versions. This release ports R128GAIN to the latest FFmpeg API.
  • Video synchronization has been greatly improved by replacing heuristics with a call to av_opt_ptr(avcodec_get_frame_class(), frame, "best_effort_timestamp");
  • This release requires "avformat-54.dll" and "avcodec-54.dll", and is now again in line with the latest FFmpeg builds from http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win32/shared/.

Reply #44
hi
great plugin
my problem mp3 file  prefer float codec uncheck option
ı see file info
16 input = 16 output no problem sound very good..
check prefer float
32bit input= output 16 bit?? output not 32 bit sometimes error decode display and poor quality sound..
sorry my bad english..

Reply #45
hi
great plugin
? see file info
check prefer float
32bit input= output 16 bit?? output not 32 bit sometimes error decode display and poor quality sound..
sorry my bad english..

The decoder is one thing. The other is how to route the decoded sound to the DAC (sound card). If there are just 16 bit available, then that's it. If you have 24 bit available you should configure FFSoX as well as WA accordingly, cf. 9. and 11. from http://in-ffsox.sourceforge.net/#additional_setup.

Regards, Peter

Reply #46
hi
great plugin
? see file info
check prefer float
sorry my bad english..

The decoder is one thing. The other is how to route the decoded sound to the DAC (sound card). If there are just 16 bit available, then that's it. If you have 24 bit available you should configure FFSoX as well as WA accordingly, cf. 9. and 11. from http://in-ffsox.sourceforge.net/#additional_setup.

Regards, Peter

ok thanks..closed mp3 decoder option(liblav) .what open mp3 decoder option(libmad etc)

Reply #47
ok thanks..closed mp3 decoder option(liblav) .what open mp3 decoder option(libmad etc)

I'm not certain on what you are asking about. "libmad" as well as "liba52" are not an option any longer because they are not integrating smoothly with FFmpeg any longer since some internal FFmpeg changes by the end of December 2011. On the other hand FFmpeg's own MP3 and AC3 decoders (from "libavcodec") are perfect, especially in 32 bit float mode.

Reply #48
hi
ı try aimp http://aimp.ru/ (asio volume bar option,less ram cpu ıd3 tag etc)
4.6.6 works well..
4.8 dont work...
fixing? compatible aimp?

Reply #49
hi
? try aimp http://aimp.ru/ (asio volume bar option,less ram cpu ?d3 tag etc)
4.6.6 works well..
4.8 dont work...
fixing? compatible aimp?

As long as the plug-in properly works in Winamp, there is nothing the author can (and should) do about it. If AIMP is supposed to be compatible with all Winamp plug-ins, but is not, then report it to the respective developers.