Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why does the same drive have errors in audio but none in data? (Read 1556 times) previous topic - next topic

Why does the same drive have errors in audio but none in data?

I'm not trying to hijack the thread but I have a question about the optical disc drives. Your operating system and software was likely loaded from an optical drive. Bit errors in .EXE files can render the file useless but this rarely happens. Why does that same drive have errors in audio but none in data?

Why does the same drive have errors in audio but none in data?

Reply #1
I'm not trying to hijack the thread but I have a question about the optical disc drives. Your operating system and software was likely loaded from an optical drive. Bit errors in .EXE files can render the file useless but this rarely happens. Why does that same drive have errors in audio but none in data?

The reason that audio CDs hold so much more data then do data CDs is that there is a lot more redundancy built into data disks.  Thus its much less likely that data will be corrupted on a data disk.

That said, baring significant damage, its pretty rare to see any corruption in audio CDs either.