Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Burning Audio CDs Using foobar2000 v0.9.5 (Read 45029 times) previous topic - next topic

Burning Audio CDs Using foobar2000 v0.9.5

I've put together a couple batch files that will let people burn audio CDs directly from foobar2000. They're not perfect, and will restrict burning to one drive right now, but the technique has a bit less overhead than switching to Burrrn or Nero. It's still slower than using foo_burninate, as you need to decode before you can burn. Anyhow, here we go.

Step 0: Download this archive.
Step 1: Extract cdrdao.exe and cygwin1.dll to somewhere in your %PATH%, like c:\windows\system32
Step 2: Extract the two .cmd files to somewhere memorable.
Step 3: Install the foo_run component. See the thread here for details.
Step 4: Go to Preferences > Tools > Run services.
Step 5: In the "Label" text box, enter a name. For example: "Burn Audio CD"
Step 6: Click the "..." button next to the "Path:" label and browse to where you extracted the .cmd files. Select cdrdaoburn.cmd. Click "Open".
Step 7. After the file path to cdrdaoburn.cmd, add the following text:
Code: [Select]
"%_path%.cue" "%path%" "$replace(%path%,%filename_ext%,)" $cut(%path%,2)

The contents of the text box should look something like:
Code: [Select]
D:\Programs\cdrdaoburn.cmd "%_path%.cue" "%path%" "$replace(%path%,%filename_ext%,)" $cut(%path%,2)

Step 8: Click the "Add" button.
Step 9: Run install.cmd, which will guide you through the configuration of cdrdaoburn.cmd.

Usage:
1. Select the files you wish to burn to a CD in the order you wish them to appear.
2. Right-click > Convert > Convert to Album Images with Cuesheets or Chapters.
3. Use "WAV" Encoding Preset. Select the processing you want done. Click "OK".
4. Save the file somewhere. It doesn't matter much; it will be deleted after burning.
5. Wait for the conversion.
6. Right-click on the only entry in the "Converter Output" window > Run > Burn Audio CD.
7. Follow onscreen directions.
8. CD burnt!

Feel free to improve upon this technique. It's an ugly kluge right now and I know it. However, some of you might find it interesting. Here's hoping... Enjoy. I do.

Reply #1
Bump? (This originally got posted in the initial 0.9.5 rush, might have gotten missed. (Or maybe everyone else is scared.))

Reply #2
Sorry I am using Infrarecorder or CD Burner XP pro.
I generate a palylist with all files to burn in foobar and then I use the drag and drop thing.
The only thing I miss is that you can't create folders this way. So you have to do it manually.

Reply #3
will check this out...thanks for your work
it would be awesome if foobar came with an option to install a burn audio cd option when installing foobar

edit, looks like the first link takes me to a page that says Sorry, no posts matched your criteria.

Reply #4
Ack. I put it in the wrong folder after some recent changes. First link should work now. Sorry about that!

Reply #5
thanks alot

Reply #6
Hi Canar, thanks for coming up with this. Many have suggested this but none implemented it. First try and getting an error.

'CDRDAO' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Any thoughts on what i have done wrong? Using WinXP, added all files to system32 folder. The default was my device id.

cheers,
herefornow
cast out...

Reply #7
Strange. The only case I can see that happening in is if system32 isn't part of your path. You can check it here:

Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Environment Variables... -> System Variables -> Path

If you're still encountering the problem, post again.

Reply #8
would this be expandable to 'burn data DVD'?
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #9
Canar, would you post your cdrdaoburn.cmd or an example for me to work with? Currently i am able to burn partially to a cd but errors out on me(buffer underun). I would like to slow the write speed down. tia

cheers,
herefornow
cast out...

Reply #10
would this be expandable to 'burn data DVD'?

No.

Canar, would you post your cdrdaoburn.cmd or an example for me to work with? Currently i am able to burn partially to a cd but errors out on me(buffer underun). I would like to slow the write speed down. tia

cheers,
herefornow

It's included in burn.zip.

Reply #11
Hi Canar,
Kudos for your great idea. How can I reduce speed of by burner? I tried to follow your instructions but default is max speed of 48x!

Thank you!

Reply #12
2. Right-click > Convert > Convert to Album Images with Cuesheets or Chapters.

Okay, I'm using v0.9.6.7 here and I don't get such an option.  Indeed, there's no arrow by 'Convert' and it takes me to a seperate settings window which seems to show no signs of an option to convert to an album image.  Why did all the options have to be shuffled round lately? >.<

Anyone willing to point me to the right direction please?  Thank you!

Reply #13
This technique only works well with 0.9.5.x. I still use a similar technique. I use the converter dialog to "Generate multi-track files", output a WAV (which produces a CUE in multi-track mode), and then burn that with ImgBurn. I've heard rumours that a new, improved foo_burninate that gets rid of the Nero dependency is in the works though.

Reply #14
Sure enough, a new foo_burninate is about, but offers painfully little besides the burning function.  No burning speed selection, for one thing.  I don't like to write any CDs at the max setting, thanks.

Unless this gets rectified soon, I may have to stick with the method you described, Canar.  I suppose with this method I don't even need to do any of the above (install foo_run, set up CDRDAO, use batch script etc)?