Reply to this topicStart new topic
OptimFROG 5.000 has been released
ghido
post Jun 28 2015, 19:05
Post #1

OptimFROG developer

Group: Developer
Member No.: 6151

After an exceedingly long apparent pause, the OptimFROG 5.000 stable release is finally ready!

Summary of changes:
  • several new supported platforms, including SSE2 enabled builds;
  • a large number of internal code updates and improvements;
  • various speed improvements for all compression modes;
  • updated SDK layout, documentation, and website content;
  • a new unified, simplified, and more permissive license.

You can check all the new release packages on the Downloads page and the comprehensive list of changes on the Changes page.

More information about the OptimFROG Lossless / DualStream / IEEE Float Audio Codec can be found on the OptimFROG website.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tev777
post Jun 29 2015, 14:43
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 9235

Code name: Lazarus? Welcome back. I downloaded a copy to kick the tires.

--------------------
--
Eric
+Quote Post
shadowking
post Jun 29 2015, 17:00
Post #3

Member No.: 11664

Good to see this. Welcome back.

--------------------
Wavpack -b450s0.7
+Quote Post
ghido
post Jun 30 2015, 22:08
Post #4

OptimFROG developer

Thank you, and nice to find you here again! Indeed, time-wise the release code name would be a good fit, however I personally have never actually left the field. smile.gif

During my long public absence I have actively worked on my PhD thesis about lossless audio compression, "Modeling and Optimization for Lossless Audio Coding with Flexible Complexity Profiles", and I am very happy to say that the end result is a completely new codec member, OptimFROG Asymmetric: from compression ratios similar to OptimFROG maximum compression experimental, while being 5 up to 20 times faster at decoding, and going down to decoding speeds in the range of FLAC.

There is work slowly going on about the bitsream format finalization and analysis, and also integration and harmonization of different codec modules, but I definitely plan to release the full bitstream format specification and the official open-source reference implementations within a time frame of 6 to 10 months from now.

On the short term, I am currently working on finalizing the port of the entire OptimFROG release package for Android with armv7, mips, and x86 platforms.

All feedback and especially help with creating new player plug-ins and improving the range of software support for @OptimFROG would be greatly appreciated!
+Quote Post
themanintheshado...
post Jul 1 2015, 00:58
Post #5

Member No.: 104212

I noticed that, like in previous versions, the MD5 hash for OFR files still don't display in the File Properties within foobar2000, forcing me to use OFR.exe to see those hashes via command line. Would this be the fault of the OptimFROG plugin that foobar2000 has to use? TAK used to have a similar problem until its plugin was updated.

--------------------
ghostman
+Quote Post
themanintheshado...
post Jul 1 2015, 01:24
Post #6

Also noticed that foobar2000 still refuses to let OptimFROG Dualstream use pipe encoding, which forces you to use the old school temp wav encoding option just to make it work. Oddly, you can use that option via command line with ofr.exe

This post has been edited by themanintheshadows_2451: Jul 1 2015, 01:25

--------------------
ghostman
+Quote Post
ghido
post Jul 3 2015, 19:11
Post #7

OptimFROG developer

QUOTE (themanintheshadows_2451 @ Jul 1 2015, 01:58) *
I noticed that, like in previous versions, the MD5 hash for OFR files still don't display in the File Properties within foobar2000, forcing me to use OFR.exe to see those hashes via command line. Would this be the fault of the OptimFROG plugin that foobar2000 has to use? TAK used to have a similar problem until its plugin was updated.

The MD5 hash for an OFR file is currently not available through the OptimFROG SDK interface, therefore plug-ins cannot obtain this stored MD5 hash value. I will update the SDK interface and also the foobar2000 plug-in in order to support this new and useful feature. Thank you!

QUOTE (themanintheshadows_2451 @ Jul 1 2015, 02:24) *
Also noticed that foobar2000 still refuses to let OptimFROG Dualstream use pipe encoding, which forces you to use the old school temp wav encoding option just to make it work. Oddly, you can use that option via command line with ofr.exe

The ofr and ofs programs fully support pipes and should work identically in the foobar2000 Converter, without a temporary file. This requires adding the command-line option --incorrectheader, which allows to correctly encode data with a generic WAV header, having a fixed data chunk size of around 4 GB.
The compressed file will play normally, because the actual data size is stored separately. However, if you decode it back to WAV using the command-line programs, it will have the original WAV header. I will add a command-line option to correct the data chunk size in the original WAV header during decoding.
+Quote Post
AndyH-ha
post Jul 3 2015, 21:28
Post #8

Member No.: 24222

Uses 4 GB or just says 4 GB?
+Quote Post
themanintheshado...
post Jul 4 2015, 19:27
Post #9

This is the command line for OptimFROG DualStream I use in fb2k

--encode --mode fast --seek fast --optimize fast --quality 6 --ans --silent --md5 --incorrectheader %s --output %d

The highlighted section? It shows the temp wav command line switch I need to make everything work, because fb2k just won't let me use the "-" (pipe endoding) switch to do the same thing. This has been the case since the previous version of DualStream was released in 2011.

This post has been edited by themanintheshadows_2451: Jul 4 2015, 19:28

--------------------
ghostman
+Quote Post
ghido
post Jul 16 2015, 23:33
Post #10

OptimFROG developer

QUOTE (themanintheshadows_2451 @ Jul 4 2015, 20:27) *
This is the command line for OptimFROG DualStream I use in fb2k

--encode --mode fast --seek fast --optimize fast --quality 6 --ans --silent --md5 --incorrectheader %s --output %d

The highlighted section? It shows the temp wav command line switch I need to make everything work, because fb2k just won't let me use the "-" (pipe endoding) switch to do the same thing. This has been the case since the previous version of DualStream was released in 2011.

Indeed, the WAVE parser, even with --incorrectheader option, was too strict and rejected some size combinations. I have fixed it to accept all WAV files with incorrect RIFF and data chunk sizes in the WAV header, and also correct these sizes in the stored WAV header right after encoding.

The new version 5.001, using either "-" with --incorrectheader option (pipe encoding) or "%s" (temporary file), produces identical compressed files, therefore identical WAV files after decoding with the command-line programs. When using "%s", it is not necessary to add --incorrectheader option.

You can check the new release packages for the version 5.001 on the Downloads page.
+Quote Post
rutra80
post Jul 17 2015, 22:53
Post #11

Group: Members (Donating)
Member No.: 8821

Ahh my favourite lossless encoder. I remember how my files were taking over 70% CPU time when playing back on Athlon XP 3200+, now on Celeron G1820 when EIST clocks it down to 800MHz the load is unmeasurable. Hardware has made some major strides, hopefully ofr will exploit them (how about OptimFroGPU? wink.gif ).
+Quote Post
Atlantis
post Jul 20 2015, 12:49
Post #12

Member No.: 4269

Congrats on the new release, Florin.

--------------------
Vital papers will demonstrate their vitality by spontaneously moving from where you left them to where you can't find them.
+Quote Post
ChronoSphere
post Jul 21 2015, 19:23
Post #13

Member No.: 41384

QUOTE (ghido @ Jun 30 2015, 23:08) *
During my long public absence I have actively worked on my PhD thesis about lossless audio compression, "Modeling and Optimization for Lossless Audio Coding with Flexible Complexity Profiles", and I am very happy to say that the end result is a completely new codec member, OptimFROG Asymmetric: from compression ratios similar to OptimFROG maximum compression experimental, while being 5 up to 20 times faster at decoding, and going down to decoding speeds in the range of FLAC.
That sounds great, what about encoding speeds? The wording above reads as if one of the "decoding" up there should be an "encoding" to me...

QUOTE (rutra80 @ Jul 17 2015, 23:53) *
Hardware has made some major strides, hopefully ofr will exploit them (how about OptimFroGPU? wink.gif ).
That would certainly help with an otherwise rather slow encoding speed biggrin.gif

edit: It could also be nice if someone made a decoder plugin for deadbeef, for those of us on the linux/mac side of things.

This post has been edited by ChronoSphere: Jul 21 2015, 19:32
+Quote Post
includemeout
post Jul 22 2015, 03:21
Post #14

Member No.: 76067

QUOTE (ChronoSphere @ Jul 21 2015, 15:23) *
It could also be nice if someone made a decoder plugin for deadbeef, for those of us on the linux/mac side of things.

+1

--------------------
Listen to the music, not the media.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd August 2015 - 13:31