Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

Factory made, price < 500 €/$
[ 386 ] (53.6%)
Factory made, price < 1000 €/$
[ 124 ] (17.2%)
Factory made, price < 2000 €/$
[ 80 ] (11.1%)
Factory made, price > 2000 €/$
[ 78 ] (10.8%)
Self made, prepared Kit, price < 800 €/$
[ 10 ] (1.4%)
Self made, prepared kit, price < 2000 €/$
[ 5 ] (0.7%)
Self made, prepared kit, price > 2000 €/$
[ 1 ] (0.1%)
Self made, own design and constr. < 800 €/$
[ 16 ] (2.2%)
Self made, own design and constr. < 2000 $
[ 13 ] (1.8%)
Self made, own design and constr. > 2000 $
[ 7 ] (1%)

Total Members Voted: 1252

Topic: What speakers are you using on your \'good\' stereo system ? (Read 294291 times) previous topic - next topic

What speakers are you using on your \'good\' stereo system ?

Reply #100
okay... bear in mind i bought this when i'd just got out of highskoo (with the pittence i made at a computer warehouse).

CD Player:  Yamaha CD-29 (old '80s hulk that doesn't work on CDs pressed after 1999... i now use a DVD player that miraculously has DTS onboard)

Amp (what the hell is a preamp??):  Yamaha A-520, 65 wpc @ 8ohm, big dents on the front, phono button must be held in...

Turntable:  not that it matters for fidelity, but it's a Pioneer PL-200, direct-drive with Stanton scratchie cartridge that hisses on loud treble.

Speakers:  Jensen DX-7, 130 watts (6 ohm), 35-24000Hz (that's what the back says )

Cables:  who gives a flying blank about cables?  can you really hear a difference?  these are thick, oxygen free copper.  i dare all-o you audiophiles to an ABX battle with the above system and more expensive cables

EQ: (i found when i got the speakers that i didn't need the EQ anymore ) Kenwood something-or-other, 7 band.

all the above (except the cables) came from 2nd-hand dealers, and i really don't want to know where they came from before that 

total cost of the above:  $1200 AUD

Reply #101
Well, I live in an apartment, so my most frequently used speakers are the 18mm voice coils in my Sennheiser HD-590's. 

But my home theater uses a Bose Acoustimass 10 system.      (~$1100)  And yes, they're getting replaced soon, probably with something from B&W or Martin Logan.

And the actual "speakers" attached to my preferred listening platform, which is the Echo Indigo soundcard in my notebook PC, are Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's.  (~$250)

Reply #102
B&W 330i, floor standing, fifteen years old
Second hand Preamp Linn Kairn, only analog connectors
Second hand Amp Linn LK100

Happy with its sound, but this system needs a big room to show its potential. Not my case, for the moment...

Reply #103
I've a set of Klipsch Promedia 2.1 connected to the rear speaker output of my sb live. It sounds not that bad.
Happy listening: Cambridge Audio Azur 540C -> 540A -> Mordaunt-Short 902
Grado SR-60

Reply #104
Pair of Polk Audio Lsi9
Marantz SR-68 Reciever
Marantz CC-4000 CD Player
Sony MDR-V600 Headphones
Rio Karma

Reply #105
Well, I have got Audio Pro Stage 6.
Working quite good

Reply #106
I have a pair of Technics SB-F1mk2 speakers, which my parents used to use.

They're small, sitting on my desk. I can't find much info on the net, other than that they were built in the early 80's, and cost about 200 dollars back then.

I like them a lot - bombproof build quality, with very stiff and heavy cabinets, and the 'honeycomb discs' (whatever that means) produce a very bright kind of highs, which I like especially (lady singers...).

Only one complaint: the connectors on the back (both 8ohm and 4ohm) are of the spring-loaded clamp type. My speaker wire constantly flips out of it

Reply #107
My main speakers are a pair of 80's JBL 240 Tis.  They're 3-ways with a 14" low driver, and one of the best tweeters that JBL ever produced.  They weigh about 85 lbs apiece and have gorgeous teak cabs.  Picked them up off eBay a few months ago for ~$300 ( they were $2k when new ).  Couldn't be happier ( although my neighbors might disagree ).

My main listening chain is an Adcom GFP-555 pre-amp into a Hafler p3000 power amp, inexpensive Yamaha 5-CD changer and an old B&O turntable.  No fancy cables.

I have my main stereo hooked up to my computer via the line-out on my SB Live!.

Reply #109
Infinity Kappa 9.2i series II

Reply #110
Genesis Physics (model II) purchased new circa 1977 for around $260/pair.  They came with a "lifetime warranty", but since the company went bankrupt in the 80's, the warranty is worthless.  When the drivers disintegrated about twelve years ago, I was fortunate to find a supplier of replacement drivers at a reasonable cost.  So I'm still in business with these old puppies, glad they're still working ... BUT part of me wishes they would die a clear death so I would have an excuse to go shopping for a new pair.   

Here are some photos from the guy who makes the replacement drivers:

Genesis Model II

Reply #111
Here's my system..

Audigy 2 >> Link ICs >> NAD C320 BEE (Tara Labs Prism 5 as jumpers >> Analysis Plus Clear Ovals >> Monitor Audio S2.

Sounds pretty decent.. refined, natural and transparent.

Reply #112
I have two years old Amphion Argon's (that pic is of Argon2, but the first version of Argon looks the same).
Harman/Kardon AVR 505
Pioneer DV-360

Reply #113
Creative Labs T2900.
My room is little, and it isn't good for wave propagation 

Byebye Saverio M.

Reply #114
My System is all homebrewed stuff:

Live! Digital Out > Homebuild DAC (based around CS4334) > Homebuild Elliot P3A > Homebuild 2 Way monitors (GR Research Woofers and Morel tweeters).

It sounds really good for how much it all cost me (about ZAR4000). I am planning on replacing the Live! digital out with a USB 24/192 DAC of my own design - still busy routing the board for that one though.

I also have a Logitech Z560 set for watching movies (and listening to Doef-Doef music) as my little bookshelf units don't really represent below 55Hz.

Reply #115
Genesis Physics (model II) purchased new circa 1977 for around $260/pair.  They came with a "lifetime warranty", but since the company went bankrupt in the 80's, the warranty is worthless. 

Maybe someone should tell the folks at Genesis that they went bust:

Genesis website

BTW, the 5 foot ribbon driver in the Genesis 1 (now replaced by the 1.1) is the same as in my home made speakers described somewhere nearer the start of this topic.

Edit: if they DID go bust and someone bought the company cheap they may still be liable for the warrantee.

Reply #117
Genesis Physics (model II) purchased new circa 1977 for around $260/pair.  They came with a "lifetime warranty", but since the company went bankrupt in the 80's, the warranty is worthless. 

Maybe someone should tell the folks at Genesis that they went bust:

Genesis website

BTW, the 5 foot ribbon driver in the Genesis 1 (now replaced by the 1.1) is the same as in my home made speakers described somewhere nearer the start of this topic.

Edit: if they DID go bust and someone bought the company cheap they may still be liable for the warrantee.

I could be wrong about this, but I don't think the old Genesis Physics Corporation (New Hampshire) has any connection to the current Genesis Advanced Technologies (Seattle), other than they share similar names.

Reply #118
Soundcard: M-Audio Delta Audiophile 24/96
Amp: Denon PMA-925R
Speakers: Dali 6006 (bi-wired)
Headphones: AKG 240s
Cables: Dali Python / Tara Labs

Reply #119
[computer]
soundcard: sblive! soon to be audigy 2 zs
speakers: klipsch 4.1 - just got em and enjoying them very much
headphone: sennheiser hd-280 + sennheiser px 200

[car]
head unit: jvc kd-sh909
front spks: kicker 02k6.2 components
rear spks: Kappa 62.5i coax
spker amp: US accoustics USX-4085
sub: Infinity Kappa 120.3dvc
sub amp: US accoustics USX-2100

Reply #120
Linn Keiledhs driven by a Creek CD player and bi-amped from an Arcam 7 Integrated (tweeters) and an Arcam 8 PowerAmp (woofers).

The Keiledhs had the warmest and most accurate sound I found in their price range, and far beyond any lower priced speakers I demoed at the audio store I bought them from.

I had considered going with NAD for the amps due to a warmer and more robust sound when paired with the Linns.  However, looking at the NAD I had a feeling they just wouldn't stand up to long term use like the british made Arcams.

-rt

Reply #121
Soundcard:  Audigy2Z
Speakers:  Klipsch 5.1 Ultra

I just got the speakers the other day--a nice upgrade from the Klipsch 2.1 Promedias.  I must say I like these a lot.  Won't be to long till I look a getting a high-fi setup with nice reciever and amp.

Reply #122
My "sound chain":

On a daily basis:
- Intel D815EEA MB with 933MHz P3, 512MB RAM, 280GB internal storage, 200GB external firewire storage, Matrox G400, 21" Sun (Trinitron) monitor. (yes, time to upgrade to P4, I know...)
- Plextor PX40-TS CD-ROM
- EAC
- Lame 3.90.3 APS or WMA Lossless (thinking about AAC now....)
- Winamp 5 with Shibatch/Otachan in_mpg123 - DirectSound Output Plug-in
- TerraTec EWX 24/96 sound card
- Revox B150 amplifier (around 1980)
- JBL 4301B Control Monitor speakers (around 1980, woofers rebuilt 2 times)
- AKG K4 electrostaic headphones (sooon to be replaced)
- My ears (obsolete stuff...    )

Seldom used:
- Revox B-126 CD player (on sale!!!  )
- Technics RS-BX727 cassette deck
- Teac X-3 reel-to-reel analog tape recorder (still working, wow!!)

Cheers!

Sergio
Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperior | Sennheiser HD598)

Reply #123
PSB Stratus Bronze + PSB Image 8C Center (hope to upgrade to a Stratus C5i center soon) + PSB Image 2B for the rear surrounds.

NAD T-741 receiver
NAD T-532 DVD/CD player

PSB + NAD is an awesome combination. 

My sound card in an Audigy2Z.