Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: fadein and fadeout without reencode (Read 4619 times) previous topic - next topic

fadein and fadeout without reencode

Hi,
Do you know if it's possible to create a fadein and a fadeout in a mp3 without reencoding it.
I think it should be possible but is there a tool (in linux if possible) that can make it?
Thank you for your help

Reply #1
Do you know if it's possible to create a fadein and a fadeout in a mp3 without reencoding it.

I shall by no means claim knowledge, but «most likely not». mp3gain works only in 1.5 dB steps. Now if you read the «Note about» the confusingly-named payware thing at http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/ ...

Edit: Re mp3DirectCut, what are the minimum step size there?

Reply #3
Re mp3DirectCut, what are the minimum step size there?
Presumably the same 1.5 dB and constrained to frame-sized steps. I have never heard of there being any other way to losslessly/reversibly alter the volume of MP3 data.

Reply #5
Hi,
I think it should be possible but is there a tool (in linux if possible) that can make it?
Thank you for your help

mptrim.

Reply #6
I've used mp3directcut to fade with good results a few times. The overlapping transform windows help to smooth the frame transitions, so it wasn't nasty.
Dynamic – the artist formerly known as DickD

Reply #7
Correct me if I'm wrong, but mp3DirectCut can't do fade-ins. Actually I hope I am wrong. The fade-outs are tough to make sound good too because it's rather unintuitive (fast drop in volume then a slow tail to silence), but it can be done.

Reply #8
You can use your own parameters for fade in/out. Just use the "Gain.." menu or work directly in the editor. You can even create a curve.

Check out the manual.