Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Columns UI (Read 4582775 times) previous topic - next topic

Columns UI

Reply #150
First-off, excellent UI. Been using it for the past month or so and loving it (currently torn between this and foo_tunes, though this one has the upper hand as it's more stable). Thanks. :D

Now that it's reached beta status, thought I'd point out a couple of minor bugs and requests I don't think anyone else mentioned. Using the latest (beta 1) and foobar 0.8 beta 9 for all of these.

* would be great if menu toolbar behaved the same as the default UI--buttons actually sink in when clicked, and you can click-and-release the mouse to make a selection (rather than 1 click to drop down menu and a 2nd to select)

* there's an extra separator at the top of the context menu; doesn't appear in the default UI so I doubt it's my conext menu config

* Home/End keys should highlight the first and last items (respectively) in the playlist, rather than just scrolling up or down (unless this was intentional?); now that I mention it, the Pg Up/Down keys as well

* probably related to above, Shift+(Home/End/Pg Down/Pg Up) doesn't work; you added those keys for navigation in alpha 2, think you could do the same for playlist item selection? :]

* the new drag & drop feels a bit too sensitive--ending up with a lot of accidently-copied songs at the bottom of my playlist; dunno, maybe it's just me :p

* don't know if it's the UI which does it (and this sounds like it might be a bit harder to implement), but think you could change the current behavior of making multiple selections? the current way, for example, is if you select a track, hold shift and move the selection frame up and back down, everything that it touched remains highlighted (this is the normal behavior in the default UI as well and it has always bugged me). I think it'd be better if it would remain highlighting only the items from the point where you first held shift to the current position of the selection frame. The only point of current way (that I can see, anyway; correct me if I'm wrong) is if you wish to highlight tracks above, and then in the same selection, highlight some below; I can't picture many people using this 'wiping' fashion normally (?). The whole reason I point this out is because it's annoying when you accidently highlight too many items, you try to move back, and those items remain highlighted (though I guess you can manually deselect them with Spacebar, but still).

On a related note, Shift+Click selections seem a bit unintuitive. For instance, select a track, hold Shift, click above that track, and then click another track above that last one-- instead of highlighting all tracks from the initial track to the last one, it deselects all below the 2nd-clicked track and highlights from that point to where you clicked. Also, if you did the opposite, (select track > hold shift > click above > click below initial track) it will select everything instead of deselecting all above the 2nd track, etc.--the two seem switched around. (Err.. I'm probably explaining too much--everyone probably already knows the behavior that I'm talking about, and if not, mess around w/ the Windows gui ;p).

* would be nice if CTRL+Click could deselect tracks (what Spacebar already does)

* any chance on configuring the width of the Playlist list?

* right-aligned columns have no padding on the right, unlike left-aligned columns, which looks like 1 space (intentional?).

* the amount of space the volume gets in the status bar has always seemed a bit too much (same in default UI). Even the longest it can be--"-z10.00 dB" barely takes up half of that space (the same cannot be said for the 'Total time of selected tracks'). This matters most for those of us who use a long status bar formatting (i.e. %_path%). Could you shorten it a bit?

Edit: deselecting all when clicking in empty background would be nice too :] (same as default UI)

Thanks for reading, and keep up the good work, musicx2 :]
f to c to f to c

Columns UI

Reply #151
INFO (CORE) : startup time: 266 ms
ERROR (CORE) : Failed to load DLL: foo_ui_columns.dll, reason: Wrong version number; this component appears to have been built with newer version of foobar2000 SDK, please download latest version of foobar2000 in order to use it.

foobar 0.8 beta 7

Columns UI

Reply #152
ok. got beta 8 and it works OK now
but i needs some documentation of how to change colours (i mean global strings ...) i've deleted all vars in there and dunno how to write new ones
post up some discription please or link to some *htm doc
thx for your work ... keep it on mate

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'][Flame removed by moderation. Please read TOS #2.][/span]

Columns UI

Reply #153
* the new drag & drop feels a bit too sensitive--ending up with a lot of accidently-copied songs at the bottom of my playlist; dunno, maybe it's just me

* right-aligned columns have no padding on the right, unlike left-aligned columns, which looks like 1 space (intentional?).

* the amount of space the volume gets in the status bar has always seemed a bit too much (same in default UI). Even the longest it can be--"-z10.00 dB" barely takes up half of that space (the same cannot be said for the 'Total time of selected tracks'). This matters most for those of us who use a long status bar formatting (i.e. %_path%). Could you shorten it a bit?

Agreed

Agreed!!!!

Columns UI

Reply #154
I dont have any time right now to reply to your posts, I agree with most said anyway. Just letting you know that the over-sensitive right button dragging, and restoring correct min/max state on startup should be fixed if you redownload.

suicide: use 4 colour codes, with | in between them. the order is text, selected text, background, selected background.

Columns UI

Reply #155
Hello thread,

been using foo_ui_columns for a while now and probably can't live without it now, even though some things still bug me:

- Balloon tooltips aren't closed when a new tooltip opens. Each time I skip two or more tracks, the first tooltip stays open and I have to close all others by clicking on them. Of course, this only happens when I don't want the tooltips to stay open, the timeout works correctly.

- Trying to drag'n'drop files crashes fb2k.

- Don't know if this bug is the fault of fb2k itself, but when I let the UI sort by descending length using a custom spec of $num(%_length_seconds%,10) I get some slightly distorted sorting. Something like 8:02, 8:03, 8:01, 7:59, 7:58, 8:01, 7:57, etc. What's funny is, that it works flawlessly in ascending order...

If it's of any use to you, I'm using Win2k SP4 and fb2k v0.8 beta 9. And now, to something completely different:

- I'd like to see the above length column custom spec to be a default setting (fixes hour-long mixes being grouped with one-minute clips when sorting by length)

- I'd like to see $if2(%title%,%_filename_ext%) as standard setting for the track column (fixes songs with no tags showing up as blank lines)

- I, too, would like to have a standard (non-toolbar) menu. Or at least something that has the same look-and-feel to it.

- I'd like to have a visually "sunken" playlist list. Maybe with an option to open it on the right instead on the left, to give fb2k an IRC-client-ish look.

I hope this all isn't too much to ask, but I kinda had to say it. (;

Columns UI

Reply #156
suicide: use 4 colour codes, with | in between them. the order is text, selected text, background, selected background.

$char(3)$rgb(a,b,c)|$char(3)$rgb(a,b,c)|$char(3)$rgb(a,b,c)|$char(3)$rgb(a,b,c)

thx for this

Columns UI

Reply #157
$char(3) is unnecessary in the column color format string.

Columns UI

Reply #158
Quote from: DijiDiji,Feb 12 2004, 04:21 AM
1) When set to minimize to taskbar instead of system tray, Foobar will not be focused on currently playing track when minimized and restored.  It will instead be focused on the top of the playlist.

Reproduced, fixed for next version.
2) If Foobar is in fullscreen mode when the program is closed, it will not restore to fullscreen mode when restarted, but a window with the same dimensions as fullscreen mode.  The beta 1 release seems to have partially addressed this, as the window mode is identical to fullscreen mode after a close and launch.  Still, might be nice if this could be cleaned up that little extra bit.

I hope it was addressed in current version as mentioned above.
There are some additional options I'd really love to see implemented in ui_columns.  Most of them are straight from the default UI.  They include:

1) Ability to select "Do/don't show "now playing" submenu in rightclick menu".  I like my menus to stay thin.

2) Along similar lines, ability to select "Do/don't show keyboard shortcuts in menus".  That thin menu thing again.

3) Ability to select "Do/don't show volume in status bar".
Yes, I agree. They will all be options eventually.

4) Ability to select from the other default system tray icons included in the foobar2000.exe.  I know you can get them out of the exe and select them as a custom icon, but it would be mighty nice if there were an easier option built right into the config menu.
They are not in foobar2000.exe they are in foo_ui_std.dll. Anyway, extracting the icon is only something you would have to do once..

Since these are all options in the default UI config, I wonder if it would make sense to allow ui_columns to use all default UI config settings that are not overridden by options in the ui_columns settings.  If this were possible, it could free up some of the space on the second configuration page.  There would be no need, for example, to duplicate the system tray settings.
Well there's still a bit of space left on that page and I could always make a third one

Thanks for all the time and work!
You're welcome

PS:  Your link for alpha 8 is not quite correct.  It points to foo_ui_column_07.dll.  It needs to point to foo_ui_columns_07.dll.
Well I'd rather not have anyone using the old versions anyway.
Quote from: Silverbolt,Feb 12 2004, 04:45 AM
Now that it's reached beta status
I wouldnt take the beta label too seriously it wasnt gonna stay in alpha forever..

* would be great if menu toolbar behaved the same as the default UI--buttons actually sink in when clicked, and you can click-and-release the mouse to make a selection (rather than 1 click to drop down menu and a 2nd to select)
I'll try to make work properly otherwise I'll just give up..

* there's an extra separator at the top of the context menu; doesn't appear in the default UI so I doubt it's my conext menu config
The section at the top is for the menu items in Playlist/Selection in the main menu. It is fixed for next version that the separator will not show if you dont have any menu items under Playlist/Selection.

* Home/End keys should highlight the first and last items (respectively) in the playlist, rather than just scrolling up or down (unless this was intentional?); now that I mention it, the Pg Up/Down keys as well

* probably related to above, Shift+(Home/End/Pg Down/Pg Up) doesn't work; you added those keys for navigation in alpha 2, think you could do the same for playlist item selection? :]
My intention was to change it to what you describe, and put the current behaviour as ALT-home/end etc. or something, it just hasnt been done yet. Sometimes you dont want to mess up your selections.

* don't know if it's the UI which does it
Yes, it is.
(and this sounds like it might be a bit harder to implement), but think you could change the current behavior of making multiple selections? the current way, for example, is if you select a track, hold shift and move the selection frame up and back down, everything that it touched remains highlighted (this is the normal behavior in the default UI as well and it has always bugged me). I think it'd be better if it would remain highlighting only the items from the point where you first held shift to the current position of the selection frame. The only point of current way (that I can see, anyway; correct me if I'm wrong) is if you wish to highlight tracks above, and then in the same selection, highlight some below; I can't picture many people using this 'wiping' fashion normally (?). The whole reason I point this out is because it's annoying when you accidently highlight too many items, you try to move back, and those items remain highlighted (though I guess you can manually deselect them with Spacebar, but still).

Since the other part of this was changed (previously, you could press space and when you go back down it woudl deselect them instead) it would probably make sense to change it.

On a related note, Shift+Click selections seem a bit unintuitive. For instance, select a track, hold Shift, click above that track, and then click another track above that last one-- instead of highlighting all tracks from the initial track to the last one, it deselects all below the 2nd-clicked track and highlights from that point to where you clicked. Also, if you did the opposite, (select track > hold shift > click above > click below initial track) it will select everything instead of deselecting all above the 2nd track, etc.--the two seem switched around. (Err.. I'm probably explaining too much--everyone probably already knows the behavior that I'm talking about, and if not, mess around w/ the Windows gui ;p).
Again, will be changed.

* would be nice if CTRL+Click could deselect tracks (what Spacebar already does)

* any chance on configuring the width of the Playlist list?
Again, will be done

Yes, I knew it did that I just hadnt bothered to change it yet

Edit: deselecting all when clicking in empty background would be nice too :] (same as default UI)
Again, you are correct, it will be changed.

Quote from: Rabbadak,Feb 13 2004, 04:53 AM
Hello thread,

- Balloon tooltips aren't closed when a new tooltip opens. Each time I skip two or more tracks, the first tooltip stays open and I have to close all others by clicking on them. Of course, this only happens when I don't want the tooltips to stay open, the timeout works correctly.
Hrm, I will look into it.

- Trying to drag'n'drop files crashes fb2k.
I need more info since it doesnt crash here.

- Post crash log somewhere
- What type of files are you trying to drop?
- When exactly does it crash (when you let go of the left mouse button)?

- Don't know if this bug is the fault of fb2k itself, but when I let the UI sort by descending length using a custom spec of $num(%_length_seconds%,10) I get some slightly distorted sorting. Something like 8:02, 8:03, 8:01, 7:59, 7:58, 8:01, 7:57, etc. What's funny is, that it works flawlessly in ascending order...
And none of the people requesting descending sorting noticed that  Fixed for next version.

- I'd like to see the above length column custom spec to be a default setting (fixes hour-long mixes being grouped with one-minute clips when sorting by length)

- I'd like to see $if2(%title%,%_filename_ext%) as standard setting for the track column (fixes songs with no tags showing up as blank lines)
Will do.

- I, too, would like to have a standard (non-toolbar) menu. Or at least something that has the same look-and-feel to it.
Addressed above.

- I'd like to have a visually "sunken" playlist list. Maybe with an option to open it on the right instead on the left, to give fb2k an IRC-client-ish look.
Ok I'll probably do them both then.

You're welcome.

Columns UI

Reply #159
2) If Foobar is in fullscreen mode when the program is closed, it will not restore to fullscreen mode when restarted, but a window with the same dimensions as fullscreen mode.  The beta 1 release seems to have partially addressed this, as the window mode is identical to fullscreen mode after a close and launch.  Still, might be nice if this could be cleaned up that little extra bit.

I hope it was addressed in current version as mentioned above.

Yes, newest version has corrected this issue.

And none of the people requesting descending sorting noticed that  Fixed for next version.

Also noticed this with UI sorting by artist.  Would see items like "My Life With The Thrill Kill Cult, Natalie Merchant, My Life With The Thrill Kill Cult".  If that's helpful.

Columns UI

Reply #160
- Post crash log somewhere

http://shang.de/data/failure_00000007.txt

- What type of files are you trying to drop?

Seems pretty much filetype independent, I tested all kinds of local files and even mp3 and ogg streams, but I haven't found a single playlist entry that didn't result in a crash.

- When exactly does it crash (when you let go of the left mouse button)?

Crashes even before displaying the icon. I click, move to the left and notepad pops up.

Columns UI

Reply #161
beta 2

changelog:

beta 2
- fix aforementioned crash bug when drag items to left & tooltips enabled
- changed selection behaviours (shift click, ctrl click, pg up/pg down/home/end, shift up/down/pg up/pg down/home/end, ctrl pg up/down /home/end)
- made menu shorter
- removed spacing under toolbars
- menu "single click" thing works
- added options to hide volume/keyboard shortcuts/now playing menu
- reduced number of options that need restart to work
- fixed descending sort
- fixed scroll position when minimised
- fix separator shown in context menu when no menu entries in playlist/selection
- right aligned columns have padding like left aligned ones
- listbox playlist switcher is now reizable
- alternative playlist border, same options for listbox playlist switcher
- made drag + drop on listbox pl switcher like the tabs
- other minor changes/fixes

Columns UI

Reply #162
Impressive!
Two suggestions:
1. Middleclick on last playlist tab should hide playlist-tab-bar (only if deleting playlist on middleclick activated).
2. I don't know if it is possible, but clicking on "Playlist->Create new playlist" in menu should make either playlist tabs or playlist listbox visible (if not activated already).

Thanks for this great UI!

Columns UI

Reply #163
Drop-down menus has zero length (w2k issue AFAIK).

Columns UI

Reply #164
nice work

Columns UI

Reply #165
Impressive!
Two suggestions:
1. Middleclick on last playlist tab should hide playlist-tab-bar (only if deleting playlist on middleclick activated).
2. I don't know if it is possible, but clicking on "Playlist->Create new playlist" in menu should make either playlist tabs or playlist listbox visible (if not activated already).

Thanks for this great UI!

You mean autohide? Ok, noted.

There's a workaround isnt there? I dont know how to fix it, apparently you can use up/down keys anyway.

beta 3
- fixed some annoying selection bugs
- fixed ping on ALT- shortcuts (thanks kode54)

Columns UI

Reply #166

There's a workaround isnt there? I dont know how to fix it, apparently you can use up/down keys anyway.

I'm not a programmer but I heard you just have to set the height or something.

Columns UI

Reply #167
Right-aligned text in status bar no longer works properly in beta 2 or beta 3.
This is my status bar dislay using the default UI:
Love the latest improvements. Keep up your magnificent work.

Columns UI

Reply #168
I heard you just have to set the height or something.

Can you redownload and tell me if its fixed ?
Right-aligned text in status bar no longer works properly in beta 2 or beta 3.
This is my status bar dislay using the default UI:

Columns UI

Reply #169
wow, this beta3 has so much new since alpha9!
the new playlist list is a really neat idea, i'm sure i'm going to find use for that

i've notice a strange bug though. not sure why i didn't notice this in earlier versions, but i occasionally change foobar2000's volume with shift+ctrl+up/down to change the main playback volume.

with the columns plugin though, this doesn't work 

also, i've noticed ctrl+page-up/down to cycle through playlist tabs isn't working either ..
_
psy.

Columns UI

Reply #170

bug? or my fault?

I couldn't shorten the hight of my foobar more than picture attached scince I installed foo ui columns beta 1 and above.
( Only when I used foo ui interface, in case of default user interface, fully resizable.)

Columns UI

Reply #171
i've notice a strange bug though. not sure why i didn't notice this in earlier versions, but i occasionally change foobar2000's volume with shift+ctrl+up/down to change the main playback volume.

with the columns plugin though, this doesn't work 

also, i've noticed ctrl+page-up/down to cycle through playlist tabs isn't working either ..

You're not using dynamp again are you...

... You cant even assign those shortcuts in foobar 0.8 b9. (Well I cant anyway)

If you are using dynamp, get it to run command line instead, e.g.

foobar2000 /command:"Playback/Volume down"

Or find some other solution, there's a few around..

bug? or my fault?

I couldn't shorten the hight of my foobar more than picture attached scince I installed foo ui columns beta 1 and above.
( Only when I used foo ui interface, in case of default user interface, fully resizable.)

No I just set it like that to avoid some other problems. Oh well, redownload if you want to get rid of the size limits.

Columns UI

Reply #172
Thanks a lot musicmusic, wonderful !
It works well. 
Thanks again.

Columns UI

Reply #173

This is not fixed for me on my Win2K system.  My WinXP system never had the problem.

Columns UI

Reply #174

It is not