Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: An App to convert/tag large amounts of music (Read 2711 times) previous topic - next topic

An App to convert/tag large amounts of music

Hi,

As the subject says I am looking for an application that'll enable me to convert around 500GB of FLAC into mp3's (I'll be using LAME) - I have been looking at Foobar but it doesn't seem as streamlined and easy to use as XLD (I'm a Mac to Windows convert) when it comes to converting large amounts of audio as well as bulk editing of tags.

Apologies if this has been addressed a million times.

Many thanks in advance to any help provided.

Reply #1
Did you look closely enough?

Conversion: The default Converter dialog has flexible output filename generation. Tags are automatically copied from the source tracks. However, it does not allow to copy non-embedded album art (cover.jpg) to the target location.

Tag editing: The default Properties dialogue is amongst the most powerful mass tag editing tools I have ever encountered (hint: the context menu "hides" very powerful commands). If that's not enough, there is the less easy to use Masstagger component that allows queuing multiple actions into scripts that can be stored and executed upon menu button or keyboard shortcut.

Reply #2
Also consider dbpoweramp. It will do what you want very well, including dealing with album art (either embed in mp3 or copy over *.jpg to correct folder).  can create any sort of directory organization you choose (I simply mirror all my FLAC files and structure into an mp3 version with same organization).

Reply #3
You may add XRECODE to the typical suspects.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #4
Thank you for the feedback - I forced myself how to use Foobar2000 and it is producing great results although the interface can be a little daunting for a first timer.