Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: (yet another) EAC offset question (Read 3846 times) previous topic - next topic

(yet another) EAC offset question

Hi,

I've been reading a lot about EAC, cuetools and lossless ripping and I think I understand the basics. Yet there is still something that I can't quite grasp:

Say I rip a CD with a wrong offset (for example +36 instead of +30). Then I correct the rip by using "Fix offset" at -6. Will that rip then be *EXACTLY* the same as reripping the CD in EAC with the correct offset this time?

As I understand it currently, when fixing the offset by -6 in cuetools, I'm basically shifting all the samples backwards 6 samples. This rids me of 6 null samples at the beginning and makes my album start at the correct position. But, what about the end of the album? Since I shifted 6 samples backwards, I must now have 6 null samples at the end, and not the real 6 last samples from the CD, since those were trimmed by EAC when ripping with the wrong offset... Yet EAC reports the offset-fixed rip to be 100% accurate, which I think is because the audio CRC ignores the first and last 2000 samples or so.

Can anyone give me a clear answer please? I'm confused 

Reply #1
To make it even more complicated someone has to realize that if you correct the offset by a positive value while ripping and your drive can't overread you already have some silent samples at the ned of your cd
I wouldn't worry at all to correct these tiny offsets afterwards. Just have a listen at the beginning and end of the rip if it starts with a full signal. These records must be pretty rare.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #2
To make it even more complicated someone has to realize that if you correct the offset by a positive value while ripping and your drive can't overread you already have some silent samples at the ned of your cd
I wouldn't worry at all to correct these tiny offsets afterwards. Just have a listen at the beginning and end of the rip if it starts with a full signal. These records must be pretty rare.

I'm a perfectionist and I'm afraid I just can't help it lol.

Is that to say that only rips that were ripped with
Code: [Select]
Overread into Lead-In and Lead-Out : Yes

Can effectively be corrected through "Fix offset" ?

Reply #3
Is that to say that only rips that were ripped with
Code: [Select]
Overread into Lead-In and Lead-Out : Yes

Can effectively be corrected through "Fix offset" ?

No, as soon as you correct you will shift data out to the back or the beginning of your music. This is only if your rip has no silence there and your drive is able to overread.
Like  mentioned above. Nothng to really worry about. We talk about 1-2ms of mostly silence.

Reply #4
Okay, but if I did really want to spend the time to redo my rips (I don't have that many), it would be better to just rerip them with eac with proper offset instead of fixing the offset ?

Reply #5
I'd check it with CUEtools if they are valid and use my ears listening the first and the last second of the album if i was really wurried. No reripping necessary then.

Reply #7
Which is better? Hmm... define "better"!

Also if you are doing this out of a compulsion to achieve "perfection," consider that the offsets we are using are likely wrong:
http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title...Offset_accuracy

Perhaps I wasn't being clear enough, I see your point but all I want to know is whether using cuetools's "Fix offset" feature on a CD that was ripped with the wrong offset, is strictly the same as reripping the CD with the correct offset applied.

I understand everyone when you say the difference is marginal but the answer I really want is yes or no and why.

Reply #8
Which is better? Hmm... define "better"!

Also if you are doing this out of a compulsion to achieve "perfection," consider that the offsets we are using are likely wrong:
http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title...Offset_accuracy

Perhaps I wasn't being clear enough, I see your point but all I want to know is whether using cuetools's "Fix offset" feature on a CD that was ripped with the wrong offset, is strictly the same as reripping the CD with the correct offset applied.

I understand everyone when you say the difference is marginal but the answer I really want is yes or no and why.

It isn't. You should have understood in my second post already or i was not clear enough, sorry. Here is another try.
Lets take your 36 samples that will result in silence at the end of the rip when overread is not supported. If you correct afterwards by 6 there will be silence in the beginning of the rip. These 6 samples may have some information if ripped with the correct offset from the beginning. The end of your cd rip will be like it was ripped correct from the beginning.

Reply #9
Okay thanks a lot for clearing it up, btw how can I know if my drive supports overread?

Reply #10
Okay thanks a lot for clearing it up, btw how can I know if my drive supports overread?

You can use EAC's "Detect read sample offset correction" feature for this, which will also tell you your drive's overread capabilites.
Don't forget to temporarily uncheck "Use AccurateRip with this drive" for this to work!

Most drives do not have these capabilities and apart from the first and last one or two seconds (which means ten thousands of samples)
usually being silence anyway, the importance of lead-in/lead-out samples is further diminished by the fact that AccurateRip always ignores
some (I guess it were about 2k or 3k) samples at the beginning and at the end of each rip, which includes any lead-in/lead-out data you
may have.

Also keep in mind that all this is only relevant if you actually decide to burn a CD-R from your CUE sheet and won't help you, if your writer
isn't able to write into the lead-in/lead-out, which usually isn't the case, too.