Reply to this topicStart new topic
Vorbis Decoder
adam777
post Oct 2 2005, 10:29
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24773

OK.
Now that i've settled on my desired Encoder (aoTuV b4 @ q6) i want to ask about the Decoder.
Currently i'm using Winamp builtin vorbis Decoder (Nullsoft Vorbis Decoder 1.41) - any one have any comments about this decoder (quality...).
Also, can any one tell me what decoder would you recommend using (should the Nullsoft decoder isn't good).
Thanks, Adam.

PS.
I'm pretty much clueless regarding those audio issues, so should my question turns to be completely dumm ("Decoder?! who cares?" and stuff like this...) - let me know, but take it easy... smile.gif
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
HbG
post Oct 2 2005, 11:45
Post #2

Member No.: 6555

Short answer: there are no bad vorbis decoders, they're all good.

Long answer available on request. smile.gif

Nullsoft did once write a bad decoder for MP3, but that was long ago.

--------------------
Veni Vidi Vorbis.
+Quote Post
adam777
post Oct 2 2005, 11:52
Post #3

QUOTE (HbG @ Oct 2 2005, 04:45 AM)

Long answer available on request. smile.gif

Nullsoft did once write a bad decoder for MP3, but that was long ago.

Thanks, HbG.
Now that the practical side is covered (i can continue using Winamp wink.gif ).
Would you mind explain to me why isn't the decoder type all that important (that what i understood from your answer - correct me if i'm wrong).
I mean, there are a lot of Encoders comparisons, doesn't the decoder count?
Thanks.
+Quote Post
HbG
post Oct 2 2005, 12:08
Post #4

No, the decoder doesn't count. Vorbis is a format and the decoder turns data in that format into regular audio data with a fixed set of rules, this is what defines the format. The "intelligence" is in the encoder, which has to make use of the format as efficiently as possible. Same goes for formats like MP3 and AAC. This is also why decoding happens much faster than encoding.

In addition to this, there's really only one vorbis decoder used in PC software, written by Xiph themselves, all software uses this decoder and therefore ogg files will decode exactly the same regardless of the software you use. There are exceptions to this, but it's generally the case.

--------------------
Veni Vidi Vorbis.
+Quote Post
Sebastian Mares
post Oct 2 2005, 12:24
Post #5

Member No.: 6613

I don't think that is true - at least not with every format. How come some decoders are better than others like you already said about the old Winamp MP3 decoder (was it Nitrane?)?

--------------------
http://listening-tests.hydrogenaudio.org/sebastian/
+Quote Post
kjoonlee
post Oct 2 2005, 13:08
Post #6

Member No.: 2782

They were buggy. If decoders aren't buggy, they should all effectively sound the same.

--------------------
http://blacksun.ivyro.net/vorbis/vorbisfaq.htm
+Quote Post
adam777
post Oct 2 2005, 13:42
Post #7

QUOTE (HbG @ Oct 2 2005, 05:08 AM)
No, the decoder doesn't count. Vorbis is a format and the decoder turns data in that format into regular audio data with a fixed set of rules, this is what defines the format. The "intelligence" is in the encoder, which has to make use of the format as efficiently as possible. Same goes for formats like MP3 and AAC. This is also why decoding happens much faster than encoding.

In addition to this, there's really only one vorbis decoder used in PC software, written by Xiph themselves, all software uses this decoder and therefore ogg files will decode exactly the same regardless of the software you use. There are exceptions to this, but it's generally the case.

You learn something new everyday... smile.gif
Thanks.
+Quote Post
HbG
post Oct 2 2005, 14:37
Post #8

QUOTE (Sebastian Mares @ Oct 2 2005, 03:24 AM)
I don't think that is true - at least not with every format. How come some decoders are better than others like you already said about the old Winamp MP3 decoder (was it Nitrane?)?

I'm not aware of buggy decoders in PC software today however, i'm sure there are one or two exceptions but i think for all practical purposes you can consider it true. And like kjoonlee said, it was buggy. More strictly speaking, nitrane isn't a mp3 decoder smile.gif

--------------------
Veni Vidi Vorbis.
+Quote Post
Garf
post Oct 2 2005, 17:29
Post #9

Server Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 13

Almost all MP3 decoders are buggy when they have to decode (for example) MPEG 2 Layer III with intensity stereo. It's just not used a lot so people don't notice.

Even LAME's mpglib is.
+Quote Post
yulyo!
post Oct 2 2005, 17:41
Post #10

Member No.: 24567

Short question
A friend that use Linux told me that in Linux the music sound better as Win. more dynamic
He also told me that in win he has noise on the output from the integrated sound (the sound integrated on the mb) and in linux...there's nothing
Are linux decoders better than win or...
+Quote Post
Mr_Rabid_Teddybe...
post Oct 2 2005, 17:53
Post #11

Member No.: 8667

QUOTE (yulyo! @ Oct 2 2005, 08:41 AM)
Short question
A friend that use Linux told me that in Linux the music sound better as Win. more dynamic
He also told me that in win he has noise on the output from the integrated sound (the sound integrated on the mb) and in linux...there's nothing

That must be down to buggy soundcarddrivers if that is the case (or different soundcards if different machines where used). Otherwise, I think we can pin it down to placebo (or wishful thinking).

--------------------
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
- Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts
+Quote Post
ears
post Oct 4 2005, 18:03
Post #12

Member No.: 284

Does anyone have a working link to download in_vorbis.dll for Winamp 2.81, preferably a recent version? Could I install Winamp 5 and copy the .dll over to my 2.81 install? Are all the input .dlls compatible between versions 2 and 5?

I remember there being some talk of PP updating the .dll but users complained that it would no longer play 'broken' .oggs. Was there a playback issue with the original version that neccessitated an update?

Thanks in advance.
+Quote Post
ears
post Oct 4 2005, 22:16
Post #13

Member No.: 284

Just a quick follow up.

I installed Winamp 5 on an old machine and copied the in_vorbis.dll over to my main 2.81 install. It seems to work fine, cpu usage looks the same; I'd give it a thumbs up for now, but I'll let it run for a while to see if it hiccups.
+Quote Post
aspifox
post Oct 28 2005, 16:07
Post #14

Member No.: 15153

QUOTE (HbG @ Oct 2 2005, 10:45 AM)

Try Tremor in low-precision mode on a low-bitrate stream and see if you still think so. laugh.gif

I think at least one portable player even shipped like that. ohmy.gif
+Quote Post
cartman
post Oct 28 2005, 16:24
Post #15

Member No.: 11118

QUOTE (yulyo! @ Oct 2 2005, 08:41 PM)
Short question

No, actually (and sadly) there are more mp3/aac decoders (with high quality) for Windows compared Linux.

--------------------
An eye for eye will make the whole world blind
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2014 - 18:24