Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Capitalize first letter in ID tags (Read 17816 times) previous topic - next topic

Capitalize first letter in ID tags

I recently ripped and FLACed about 180 CD's and I couldn't figure out why, but only the first word in the ID tag information was capitalized and the rest were in lower case. Then I realized I that I had the Box checked for that option in FLAC Frontend after I compressed all those CD's. Well, now I'm really stuck. I am a perfectionists with my music files and I need the first letter in every word capitalized in the metadata information. Is there a way to do this batch style? I checked into Foobar but it doens't have an option for batch editing ID tag information for just capitalizeing the first letter in every word. What can I do?

Thanks,
-Darin
Cowon Iaudio X5 30 gig. It rocks!

Reply #1
In foobar2000, select all your files.
Bring up the properties dialog to see which tag field names are being used. Write them down.
Bring up the masstagger. Use $caps(%fieldname%) and overwrite the existing FIELDNAME contents. Repeat as neccessary.
Run the masstagger.

Not the best way, but it's doable.

Reply #2
In foobar2000, select all your files.
Bring up the properties dialog to see which tag field names are being used. Write them down.
Bring up the masstagger. Use $caps(%fieldname%) and overwrite the existing FIELDNAME contents. Repeat as neccessary.
Run the masstagger.

Not the best way, but it's doable.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=247525"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah. I made such a preset which capitalizes %album%, %artist% and %title%.
It's pretty handy. Most of the net-label releases on archive.org use all lower case letters and i keep retagging'em. But I suggest making use of $caps2() instead since it only changes lower case to uppercase for the first letters. $caps() also changes uppercase letters to lowercase letters - See Foobar's titleformat_help.html.

$caps(lala MUHA)  -> Lala Muha
$caps2(lala MUHA)  -> Lala MUHA

SebastianG

Reply #3
I must be doing something wrong, do I go into Masstagger>Edit Tags>Add>Format values from other fields?

Thanks,
-Darin

Reply #4
I must be doing something wrong, do I go into Masstagger>Edit Tags>Add>Format values from other fields?

Thanks,
-Darin
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=248030"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

my preset looks like this:
Code: [Select]
-Actions to perform-
Format "ALBUM" using "$caps2($if2(%album%,))"
Format "TITLE" using "$caps2($if2(%title%,))"
Format "ARTIST" using "$caps2($if2(%artist%,))"

The $if2() stuff prevents setting the field to "?" in case the field
hasn't been set yet. (sometimes %album% isn't set)

HTH,
SebastianG

Reply #5
are you useing the graphic user interface foobar 2000 or is there a different version? I am useing the GUI and I don't see those options anywhere.

Thanks,
-Darin

Reply #6
Wow...I finally got it! Thanks...this is going to save me alot of work.

-darin

Reply #7
7 years later... is there a way to capitalize only the first letter of a tag?

For example:

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here -> Pink Floyd - Wish you were here

Any other suggestion? Is it better to capitalize every first letter or just the first one? What do you guys use and why? I need to use one script once for all.

Thanks.

Reply #8
I’ll move this to FLAC since that was the original subject. But is your question more general? Which format(s) of tag do you want to transform? And are you asking with specific reference to foobar2000?

Anyway, the multi-format MP3tag has what you are looking for, which is called sentence case. http://forums.mp3tag.de/lofiversion/index.php/t12041.html Other programs probably do, too. foobar2000 does not have a native function for this purpose; it might be possible to cook one up, but when there are other programs that can do this out-of-the-box, it may not be worth the hassle.

Reply #9
Thanks for that page db1989.

Only foobar2000 and only %title%.

I've decided to do $caps2(%title%) (or Right click -> Capitalize) since titles may have name of persons and they have to be capitalized anyway. This way I don't check every single file for confirmation.

Reply #10

If you are not comfortable using the Mp3tag script linked by db1989 (I, for one, prefer to use foobar2000 for everything and shun other software), here's a Masstagger script that achieves this (personally, I use it while tagging foreign songs which should actually be capitalized as such; English titles should always be capitalized following these guidelines):

$puts(metadata_field,$upper($trim(%field%)))$substr($get(metadata_field),1,1)$lower($substr($get(metadata_field),2,$len($get(metadata_field))))

Replace %field% as desired.

Là Où Naissent Les Couleurs Nouvelles ---> Là où naissent les couleurs nouvelles

Reply #11
I ended up using this: http://forums.mp3tag.de/index.php?showtopi...ost&p=53021. This one is spectacular but I have to verify with services like MusicBrainz just to see what may change if I check every album online.

What I didn't think before starting the process is that I have a folder with only Italian music and that one is not being renamed. I have to modify the script with the few words I want to change.

Re: Capitalize first letter in ID tags

Reply #12
$puts(metadata_field,$upper($trim(%field%)))$substr($get(metadata_field),1,1)$lower($substr($get(metadata_field),2,$len($get(metadata_field))))

Là Où Naissent Les Couleurs Nouvelles ---> Là où naissent les couleurs nouvelles

Titles with every word capitalized attract too much attention indeed.
So I’m happy to get this script working in 2016, thank you.
Pity there is no easier internal Foobar2000 way to change case of tags. 
• Join our efforts to make Helix MP3 encoder great again
• Opus complexity & qAAC dependence on Apple is an aberration from Vorbis & Musepack breakthroughs
• Let's pray that D. Bryant improve WavPack hybrid, C. Helmrich update FSLAC, M. van Beurden teach FLAC to handle non-audio data

Reply #13
If you are not comfortable using the Mp3tag script linked by db1989 (I, for one, prefer to use foobar2000 for everything and shun other software), here's a Masstagger script that achieves this (personally, I use it while tagging foreign songs which should actually be capitalized as such; English titles should always be capitalized following these guidelines):

Sorry for asking in a old thread, but I'm new to Masstagger and I don't know how to use this "already written" script in Foobar2000? This script's purpose is exactly what I need: Sentence case for song's name. I've tried to search for "step-by-step" guides, youtube tutorials but no luck. Can anyone give me a link of "step by step how to" or a video about this?
Thank you and get some good songs today.

Reply #14
Install the component. Its functionality appears under the right-click context menu -> Tagging -> Manage Scripts. Select some tracks in the playlist and call up the dialogue. On the actions panel add "Guess value from other fields", source format: your code, guessing pattern: %title%. Add another action if you want to process more fields at the same time. At the bottom you can save a preset. Enter a name like "Sentence case" and press Save. You can call up presets under Tagging -> Scripts -> .. or even assign keyboard shortcut keys to them to quickly process a set of tracks.

There are multiple other ways of creating this action that yield the same result. On the right side of the dialogue you can see an instant preview of the changes before they are written to the files. This is very convenient while writing a script, and makes Masstagger safer to use than other similar tools.

Reply #15
Thanks for your detail tutorial, I will try it soon.