Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: "CD-reviews" subforum (Read 22983 times) previous topic - next topic

"CD-reviews" subforum

Hi,

some days ago, i was thinking that ha.org has a very high level when it comes to discussions, soundquality and audio-hardware - but when it comes to what we use all this knowledge and technology for - music - then thats behind this level by leaps and bounds.

So i and zolder had an idea to start something like a personal review-blog on ha.org, by starting a thread in which be both would post mini-reviews in aprox. weekly intervals. We would not post average and good albums and only restrict the introducing top-notch albums. These albums would mostly not be mainstream CDs but instead mostly unknown stuff. The format of the reviews would also be quite different to other reviews on the net - it would be small compact summaries with almost all important info packed in just a few lines. Additionally, it would avoid the usual cryptic and abstract language often used in cd-reviews and instead narrate everything into short keywords and a few sentences in a language which everyone can understand.

Now to the main problem: exposure.
Right now, posts in the music subforums don't appear on the frontpage. I can understand and agree with the reasons why it has been handled this way in the past. However, those reviews would differ in some important aspects from the current threads in the music subforum: 1. they would be less chatting but instead pure information with a high signal-to-noise ratio... and 2. they would have low traffic, because discussion of the reviews would happen in another seperate "discussion"-thread(crosslinked with the review-thread). But, as it is now, the review-thread(s) would not be noticed by the majority of the ha-visitors because they don't appear on the frontpage. I can understand the desire to keep technical information and music information seperate on the frontpage.

How about creating a "cd-reviews" subforum in the music section. In this subforum, only cd-reviews would be allowed - discussion would need to happen in the already existing music-discussion forum. There could also be some rules as to the requirements of posting a review (so that it does not become spammed with reviews like "yo, this album rocks - its so awesome, you need to get it now!"). Posts on this "CD-Reviews" subforum would then appear on the frontpage of ha.org - however NOT in the "active topics"-area but instead in a small box below it(i.e. like "last 5 music-reviews")

Opinions?

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

"CD-reviews" subforum

Reply #1
I like this... a lot!

"CD-reviews" subforum

Reply #2
some days ago, i was thinking that ha.org has a very high level when it comes to discussions, soundquality and audio-hardware - but when it comes to what we use all this knowledge and technology for - music - then thats behind this level by leaps and bounds

I agree with you 100% on that.

How about creating a "cd-reviews" subforum in the music section. In this subforum, only cd-reviews would be allowed - discussion would need to happen in the already existing music-discussion forum.

I thought it would be a great idea from the get go, but a lot of the moderators were picky about it in the beginning. Think of it as being stuck between a rock and hard place. 

Additionally, it would avoid the usual cryptic and abstract language often used in cd-reviews and instead narrate everything into short keywords and a few sentences in a language which everyone can understand.

I happen to like the cryptic language, but that's me ;-D. More you go into detail in describing something more it likely you will be able to grab the readers attention.

Right now, posts in the music subforums don't appear on the frontpage.

This has always bothered me. I understand it should be kept seperate, but the problem is that nobody ever remembers it's down there! It's one big clunky general music thread to that's not very specific either. I think the classification should be better. I see two possible way to approach this A.) it serves no purpose to have it down their in the beginning or B). it should be more specific and made known to people who visit the forum without actually interfering with stuff pertaining to audio coding on front-page. I know HA directs a lot of traffic already their are almost 20,000 members. I am sure somebody can think of someway of making it work or as Sgt. Gunney a.k.a Client Eastwood would say "you adapt, improvise, you overcome!" 
budding I.T professional

"CD-reviews" subforum

Reply #3
Additionally, it would avoid the usual cryptic and abstract language often used in cd-reviews and instead narrate everything into short keywords and a few sentences in a language which everyone can understand.

I happen to like the cryptic language, but that's me ;-D. More you go into detail in describing something more it likely you will be able to grab the readers attention.

Well, as you said, thats a matter of taste. The only "rules" which for example would be defined in a sticky post on the "music reviews"-subforum would something like:

- only post reviews here. Discussion about the reviews needs to happen in the Music-Discussion subforum(for this purpose it may make sense to open a seperate discussion-thread on the music subforums, and crosslink the two threads). Posts which ignore this rule will be deleted.

- if you post music-reviews regularily, then start an own thread and consolidate all your review-posts in this singel thread

- every review needs to contain descriptive info on why this CD may be interesting to others. Reviews which basically only say "this CD is awesome, you need to get this - trust me!" will be deleted.

The reason why i wrote that stuff about zolders and my review-blog idea was just for background-info - everyone could of course pick their own format and style for writing reviews.

- Lyx

"CD-reviews" subforum

Reply #4
You could always use this site:

http://www.music-reviewed.com/

I'm sure you'd all be more than welcome.
daefeatures.co.uk

"CD-reviews" subforum

Reply #5
There are hundreds of possibilities outside of ha.org to write music-reviews. There was a reason why imho it would be a good idea to have it at ha.org.

- Lyx

"CD-reviews" subforum

Reply #6
I like the idea, but it seems to me a bit contradictory to have "cd reviews" of only "top notch" cds...people have different opinions.

"CD-reviews" subforum

Reply #7
I like the idea, but it seems to me a bit contradictory to have "cd reviews" of only "top notch" cds...people have different opinions.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=283764"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The reason why i wrote that stuff about zolders and my review-blog idea was just for background-info - everyone could of course pick their own format and style for writing reviews.

"CD-reviews" subforum

Reply #8
Okay, i'm about to just go forward and start a thread in the Music-Discussion subforums. If the admins like the idea of a Music-Reviews subforum with exposure on the portal-page, then this thread can later just moved over to there.

Some things i need to know:
Obviously, album-covers would make the reviews look more nice. How is the situation about copyright in that sense? Can i just use an albumcover from the web and add it to a review-post? Also, since one cannot upload stuff a review-post, how to handle hotlinking?

- Lyx

"CD-reviews" subforum

Reply #9
I think if the image is not hosted on ha.org, then you should be okay in most countries (maybe if you included a link to the source).

"CD-reviews" subforum

Reply #11
1) CD-reviews are, IMHO, too much off the main topic of the site to go on the front page active topics.

2) If there is interest in a specific music discussion site/portal, this could be set up. But it seems, even from this thread, that those simply already exist.

"CD-reviews" subforum

Reply #12
I like this idea of cd-reviews , but I don't know that it would be used as much as people would want it to be. While the 'General Music' forum is neat and there was a lot of debate for it, I feel that it is underused.