Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Off-topic genre elitism (Read 2863 times) previous topic - next topic

Off-topic genre elitism

I do not care much about the listed middle of the road  shit .

For new material I mostly listen to what might be labelled ethnic music, like Ali Farka Toure, Vieux Farka Toure,  Toumani Diabate, Salif Keita, Rokia Traore, etc. and what might be labelled Blues like the music by Sonny Landreth, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Robert Randolph, North Mississippi Allstars, Warren Haynes, Joe Bonamassa, Dr. John, Buddy Guy, Jazz like music by Michael Brecker, Derek Trucks, Terje Rypdal, Ralph Towner, Pat Metheney, Scofiled, Garbarek, Norah Jones, Cassandra Wilson, James Blood Ulmer, etc. etc.. and find almost all of it well produced with no indications of the loudness idiocies that MOR stuff seems to be saddled with.

Maybe time to change taste...I perceive that stuff listed by the thread opener as meaningless dreck with no new ideas and of utter blandness

Off-topic genre elitism

Reply #1
Maybe time to change taste...I perceive that stuff listed by the thread opener as meaningless dreck with no new ideas and of utter blandness

Well, if you don't like rock/heavy metal its your deficiency. If I understand the phrase "middle of the road" correctly (with the help of wiktionary) , I wouldn't call them that. That would be Lady Gaga, Britney Spears and cheap stuff like that.

Off-topic genre elitism

Reply #2
Well, if you don't like rock/heavy metal its your deficiency

Metal was always more about the show than about the "music". Rock went all MOR after the disco catastrophe.
Besides PrimuséLes Claypool, the elder statesman Jeff Beck,  Govt Mule, Patti Smith, and Tom Waits  I haven not heard much that will appeal to me.
And ever since Zappa died there is no one left to mock the "rock and rollers" to keep them somewhat honest.

Off-topic genre elitism

Reply #3
I do not care much about the listed middle of the road  shit .

And what makes you think we care about your exquisit taste in music?

Maybe time to change taste...

Maybe time to open your mind and get back to topic.

From what I can tell compression and loudness didn't change much in the most recent years (looking at the metal albums I listen to). It depends on the genre of course and certain genres depend on the compression and distortion so I don't think much will change there.
"I hear it when I see it."

Off-topic genre elitism

Reply #4
Well, if you don't like rock/heavy metal its your deficiency

Metal was always more about the show than about the "music". Rock went all MOR after the disco catastrophe.

BS.
Go and enjoy your snob music.

Off-topic genre elitism

Reply #5

Because the shit you are listening to is apparently mastered as it deserved - with a shitload of compression and of lousy sound quality.

Off-topic genre elitism

Reply #6
Because the shit you are listening to is apparently mastered as it deserved - with a shitload of compression and of lousy sound quality.

First of all you don't know what exactly I'm listening to and secondly I suggest you take your generalizations and prejudices somewhere else.
And not matter how bad something I listen to is mastered I still don't care about your "taste".
"I hear it when I see it."

Off-topic genre elitism

Reply #7

Should read exqucusite  I presume, but we all make mistakes.

Maybe you should care because the music I listen to - and I wonder if you call Warren Haynes or Bonamassa "exquisite", how low the bar is you are setting - does not suffer from the problems adressed here.

I therefore have to assume that for a "non - exquisite" musics like metal in all its shimmering fascination, the drive to good mastering practices is overridden by the fact to out compete each other not by the quality of the music but by the db level inscribed on the CD or the mp3 download.

And yes, you can call me a cantankerous old bastard. But I have my musical tastes developed over fifty years and counting. And they began with a young Johnny Cash and an older Hans Albers...which probably is a name you never heard.