Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to convert SV7 to SV8? (Read 7202 times) previous topic - next topic

How to convert SV7 to SV8?

Hi to all,

I would like to convert all my old SV7- mpc-files to SV8. To get some help, I first have asked in the Musepack-Forum and got this answer by Shy:

Mentioned in mpc2sv8's help, it can convert from a specified input file to an output file you name, or a group of input files to an output directory you name. If for example you want to convert all mpc files in a folder to an "SV8" subfolder in it: mpc2sv8 "D:\Music\Albums\Artist-2009-Album Title\*.mpc" "D:\Music\Albums\Artist-2009-Album Title\SV8"
Note that the "SV8" subfolder should already exist there for it to work, as mpc2sv8 doesn't create folders.

Here is a batch file that you can put in a root folder where your album folders are. It will automatically create an sv8 folder within each folder and place the converted files in it. First, edit the path to mpc2sv8.exe in it.

The problem with it is: 1. it creates an additional empty "sv8" subfolder within every "sv8" folder. 2. it's uncomfortable/messy, especially if you have many folders. Instead of creating an sv8 folder within each folder, it would be better to place identically named folders with converted files in them in a selected target folder. It's surely possible, but I don't know how to do it with a batch file. Maybe someone else could offer their help.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to work. So once again, could someone give me some help please?

All my mpc-music files are stored in the folder "mpc": My storage system is the following: mpc\Artist\Album\1)Title.mpc    like:  "E:\Musik\mpc\Sweet Smoke\Just A Poke\01. Baby Night .mpc"

How can I convert all my files by retaining my storage-system including folders and subfolders?

Thanks

Antares

Reply #1
I'm already using the batch file. You have to make sure to edit the batch file by renaming the mpc2sv8.exe path to wherever you stored your mpc2sv8.exe file on your system.

What I'm doing, though, is placing the batch file in every folder that contains mpc files (this is when Foobar2000's powerful database management comes in). However, the batch file works recursively, just that you'll get SV8 folders inside EVERY SINGLE folder that contains mpc files.

Reply #2
.... all I want to do is to convert all my SV7 mpc-files "as they are" into SV8 by retaining the whole storage-system. I definitely don't want to create SV8-subfolders! As Shy mentioned, it should be possible:

Instead of creating an sv8 folder within each folder, it would be better to place identically named folders with converted files in them in a selected target folder. It's surely possible, but I don't know how to do it with a batch file. Maybe someone else could offer their help.

Unfortunately I don't have the skills to create such a batch-file!

antares

Reply #3
The new script does not create any extra folders. Follow the discussion after my post:

Convert SV7 to SV8
And if Warhol's a genius, what am I? A speck of lint on the ***** of an alien

Reply #4
Hallo again,

for those who are interested to convert their mpc-sv7 into mpc-sv8, Grimmel and Shy have written an appropriate batch-file and some very good instructions. You can download them here.

I'm not very skilled in computing and tried it out and it worked perfect.

Thanks to Grimmel, Shy and Seed

antares