Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MAC MP3 Tagger / Ripper (Read 19995 times) previous topic - next topic

MAC MP3 Tagger / Ripper

OK, since switching to MAC I need replaces for my favorite PCs apps... I've tried a few but nothing has fit my needs...

1) I need a MAC ripping program comparable to EAC (with multiple passes if possible).  Any ideas anyone?

2) I really need a MP3 ID3 tag editor.  I've tried a few and none of them work as good as my old TAG&RENAME PC software.  I want it to be able to add multiple file Album artwork.  To connect to CDDB (or some other various service) to get track names / listings.  Any ideas out there?!?

PLEASE help me!!!

MAC MP3 Tagger / Ripper

Reply #1
OK, since switching to MAC I need replaces for my favorite PCs apps... I've tried a few but nothing has fit my needs...

1) I need a MAC ripping program comparable to EAC (with multiple passes if possible).  Any ideas anyone?

Max
2) I really need a MP3 ID3 tag editor.  I've tried a few and none of them work as good as my old TAG&RENAME PC software.  I want it to be able to add multiple file Album artwork.  To connect to CDDB (or some other various service) to get track names / listings.  Any ideas out there?!?

MediaRage
Every night with my star friends / We eat caviar and drink champagne
Sniffing in the VIP area / We talk about Frank Sinatra
Do you know Frank Sinatra? / He's dead

MAC MP3 Tagger / Ripper

Reply #2

Max

MediaRage

Max... thanks! looks great...

I'm using media rage now, and I don't really like it... the workflow for searching for track info, adding artwork & renaming the tracks is horrible.

MAC MP3 Tagger / Ripper

Reply #3
Media Rage doesn't seem very convenient: it supposes you know the artist's name or what album it is. Is there a way to get tags from freedb automatically, like foorbar or Tag&Rename do? Thank you!

MAC MP3 Tagger / Ripper

Reply #4
(dar)wine + foobar. not the best solution but everything works.. tagging, RG, transcoding..  there is nothing comparable to foobar or mp3tag on os x.

okay.. and since I havn't posted this in any forum for the last 5 hours, here are the links:

darwine-project
latest intel binary for tiger
foobar2000 ^^

nota bene: darwine requires X11 which can be found on the Mac OS X software dvd shipped with your mac.

have a look here to see a screenshot

MAC MP3 Tagger / Ripper

Reply #5
Some users reported that Mp3tag works fine on a Mac using the latest version of CrossOver.

MAC MP3 Tagger / Ripper

Reply #6
neomoe: Thanks, that helps. Fonts look better in CrossOver though (screenshot, 126 kB), but darwine is free.

MAC MP3 Tagger / Ripper

Reply #7
Some users reported that Mp3tag works fine on a Mac using the latest version of CrossOver.

true. even with darwine.

neomoe: Thanks, that helps. Fonts look better in CrossOver though (screenshot, 126 kB), but darwine is free.

yeah it is! nice peace of software!
and the thing regarding the fonts... it is not hell of a difference, is it?
I am completely satisfied with how foobar looks running with darwine.

MAC MP3 Tagger / Ripper

Reply #8
Just found Darwine myself - Though I had to search as the download you linked to doesn't work - It seems the guy changed the filename a bit.  If you go to http://thisismyinter.net/?p=21 directly, you can still download though. 

Also, http://thisismyinter.net/?p=27 (Again, linking directly just incase something changes..) fixes fonts fairly well.  Stuff looks/works much much better.. though foobar looks out of place in OS X

And thanks for mentioning Max! Was exactly what i was looking for when searching (Getting foobar running as well is a nice bonus from the search!)

MAC MP3 Tagger / Ripper

Reply #9
Is anyone using the latest foobar betas with Crossover? I'm getting errors on loading

Ta

MAC MP3 Tagger / Ripper

Reply #11
To be more specific, I get
"Initialization failure: No User Interface modules installed"

0.9.4.2 works in Crossover, and 0.9.5b5 works in darwine....

MAC MP3 Tagger / Ripper

Reply #12
To be more specific, I get
"Initialization failure: No User Interface modules installed"

0.9.4.2 works in Crossover, and 0.9.5b5 works in darwine....

Same with foobar 0.9.5 final...
Didn't find anything on google, except a debug log on ReactOs wiki.

Edit: extracting files from installer with 7zip (via Crossover) doesn't work either: some directories are incorrectly named and foobar2000.exe isn't extracted.

MAC MP3 Tagger / Ripper

Reply #13
Apparently the foo_ui_std.dll doesn't load: I took an install of foobar I did on Windows XP and ran it on Mac OS via Crossover, and I got a message saying something like 'foo_ui_std.dll has been removed, do you want to keep its settings?'.

MAC MP3 Tagger / Ripper

Reply #14
I get the same...

Perhaps there's a dll depedancy that crossover doesn't provide?

MAC MP3 Tagger / Ripper

Reply #15
I think the new requirement in 0.9.5 for WinXP and above is what's breaking CrossOver support on the Mac.

Anyone know if it still works under Darwine? It might be worth it to get that set up... otherwise it's VMWare or Parallels, which is fine, except I hate loading them up just to play some music. Honestly I would switch to iTunes except it really chokes on a big database.

Edit: Just tried Darwine 0.9.52 and Foobar 0.9.5 and it gave me the XP required error. Is there a way to get it running?

MAC MP3 Tagger / Ripper

Reply #16
did anyone was able to make it run under darwine or crossover?

MAC MP3 Tagger / Ripper

Reply #17
Yes. I was able to run the latest version of foobar2000 (0.9.6.4) with Darwine under Tiger. Grab the latest Darwine from here (1.1.19 for Tiger), delete the .wine directory in your home directory (wine will create a new one when executing any exe) and install. Runs flawlessly.

MAC MP3 Tagger / Ripper

Reply #18
sorry to wake an old thread, but I'm AMAZED that no one has mention XLD as a ripping program / tagger

It uses the latest CD paranoia engine, as well as freedb and music brainz for tagging. supports multicore processing, embedded cue sheets, apple lossless wavpack flac mp3 ogg flac and a few others. supports ripping to single flac images. very simple easy to use interface with a very mac like layout. good batch transcoding.

tmkk.hp.infoseek.co.jp/xld/index_e.html

also, foobar2000 works a1 on the lastest crossover games, aside from one thing, getting cd's to play through it. but if you're ripping them all anyways, thats not a problem at all. also, crossover games 8 is due to come out sometime soon. (rumoured to support dx10  i can get milkrop 1 to work via the shpeck plugin in foobar as well.

also using foobar2000 through crossover, it is possible to associate (audio) files with the launcher program for foobar2000 that crossover creates, as well as associating custom icons (via Editing the Plist) for all of the different file types. (ie i click on a .flac, and foobar2000 opens up.)

note that for this to work, foobar must be associated with these filetypes within it's bottle.

i very highly recommend using this solution to foobar on a mac. it offers nearly complete integration which cannot be achieved any other way