Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Tagging Japanese artist name (Read 2659 times) previous topic - next topic

Tagging Japanese artist name

Hey guys, just wondering how do you tag Japanese Artist name? Last Name + First Name (Western preference) order or vice versa (Asian preference)? Now my library had a mix on either variation and I was thinking of creating a more consistent naming rules.

Reply #1
I'm assuming you're using English characters to spell their names?  In either case, I prefer Japanese order at least.  Feels weird reading/hearing names in western order if that's not how they'd say their own name.

Reply #2
Yea true. But still most of their blog / twitter header is still in the lastname + first name order. Guess I'll stick to lastname + first name order for now as my library is mostly tagged in that order.

Reply #3
IIRC, even Japanese names are formally written with family name (a.k.a. last name) first.
i.e Maaya Sakamoto (first then family/last) is usually written as 坂本 真綾 or Sakamoto Maaya in Japan; any other order is usually the 'Westernized' version.

So, just stick to last + first. =b