Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: another ID3v2 question (Read 3677 times) previous topic - next topic

another ID3v2 question

hey !

i am working on some audio-oriented tool, and need to know since which ID3v2 subversion (.2 .3 .4 //is there .5 ?) it is able to be placed inside the stream. another thing, i need some example files too, but that was problem for me to find an ID3v2.4 tag (really)writing software, it will be propably close to impossible to find one that can place it (whichever version it is) in some weird place inside the file.
can anyone help me with that tech-info or software, or both ?

another ID3v2 question

Reply #1
What do you mean with placed inside the stream? ID3v2 versions prior to 2.4 can only be placed at the beginning of a file. ID3v2.4 can also be placed at the end.
What you are talking about is most likely ICY metadata.

another ID3v2 question

Reply #2
yes, it may by ICY what i had in mind, but its still part of ID3v2. is this property available since the 2.0 (2.2) version ?

[EDIT]
how about this ? it says not ICY only (it seems also that it is not part of ID3v2 indeed, anyway i heard that it is possible with ID3v2, thats why i am asking)
http://jicyshout.sourceforge.net/oreilly-a...ng-mp3-pt2.html
[/EDIT]

another ID3v2 question

Reply #3
No, its true that id3v2 tags can be placed anywhere in an MP3 file, except within an MPEG frame. ID3v2.4 just added an optional footer to make it easier to seek backwards.... but they never stipulated v2.2 and v2.3 had to be at the beginning.

By convention though, no one puts id3v2 tags anyplace except the beginning, and probably no software will be able to find such a tag.

another ID3v2 question

Reply #4
ok, so my software wont care about such tags too...
many thanks for help !

another ID3v2 question

Reply #5
As far as i know there is no 2.5 subversion and ID3v2 (unlike ID3v1 and APEv2) can only be found at the file header