Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Oggdropxpd V1.6 Released For Testing (Read 19997 times) previous topic - next topic

Oggdropxpd V1.6 Released For Testing

oggdropXPd V1.6 can now be downloaded from Mirror 1, below. This download also includes a number of dlls, concerned with the decoding of LPAC and FLAC files, which should be installed in the same folder/directory as oggdropXPd.

oggdropXPd V1.6 is only intended for testing purposes at this time.

This version of oggdropXPd has been compiled using the current CVS and, as such, includes some of what is in Release 1.1. This is, however, NOT the final 1.1 and should ONLY be used for testing purposes, NOT for archival.

The following features have been added in oggdropXPd V1.6:

Encoding Options

Scale Factor: allows the re-scaling on-the-fly of the wave data immediately prior to encoding. This feature is being added to oggenc in 1.1.

Lowpass: I decided to add the 'Advanced Encoder Option' - Lowpass. A standard set of lowpass levels is included.

Tagging Options

Track Number: The Custom Tagging routines now permit the extraction of the Track Number from the filename providing it is being used for the Title. The 'mask' is used to extract the Track Number and will also delete all the characters in the mask from the Title.

Permitted File Types

I have added decoding routines for LPAC and for FLAC. In both cases, the 'dropped' file is decoded to a temporary wave file prior to encoding, so there is a short delay while the decoding takes place and before the encoding progress bar appears. The temporary wave files are automatically deleted upon completion. Before anyone asks, I will be looking at APE decoding in the near future.

Comments are welcome!

Reply #1
nice work!

did they change anything related to quality!

Reply #2
you forgot to add libmmd.dll

!!!   

Reply #3
you forgot to add libmmd.dll

!!!  :o  :rolleyes:

Sorry!! 

Now available with libmmd.dll.

Reply #4
I did some light testing and found that the lowpass value is not carried from one session to the next; it appears to be not added to the ini file.

I really like the lowpass feature; I'm anticipating the version that allows encoding from .ape files.

Will the lowpass feature be coming to oggenc.exe?

Reply #5
The lowpass feature is already available in oggenc.  You can activate it using the
"--advanced-encode-option lowpass_frequency"
switch.  Just put the value, in KHz after lowpass_frequency.  So, for example, to do a 19KHz lowpass, the commandline would be

oggenc.exe --advanced-encode-option lowpass_frequency=19

Reply #6
Thank you TimYork for that very valuable information.  I found nothing like that in the help generated from "oggenc.exe -h".  Where may I find that documentation and maybe some other useful tricks I haven't found?

This is great; now I can use the lowpass with Speek's Multi-frontend and WinVorbis too.  The advantage of Speek's frontend is that it can encode from APE but I like WinVorbis better for tagging and renaming.

Again, thanks!  I'm always looking for ways to make ogg to better take the place of mp3.

john33, although I prefer the various ways of using oggenc to using oggdrop, I recognize your great contributions to the advancement of the Ogg Vorbis format, and I thank you for that! 

Reply #7
There is an html file included with the refrence vorbis-tools set available at http://www.vorbis.com that has a list of all of the standard switches for 1.0

Reply #8
oggdropXPd V1.6beta2 now available from Mirror 1, below.

Scale Factor and Lowpass settings are now held in the .ini file, and I have added .ape decoding, also to temporary wave file. The download includes the necessary MACDll.dll. 

Reply #9
any chances for on the fly encoding for lossless files as speek's oggifier does ?

Reply #10
any chances for on the fly encoding for lossless files as speek's oggifier does ?

I was really looking for the simplest way to add the functionality and, for me, this was it.    The amount of work involved in deeper integration is not worth the effort and would render the maintenance task as being potentially too great. Having reached this point, I may look at using the Winamp2 plugins in the future, I say MAY.

Whilst the temporary wave files may not be the most elegant way of doing things, it works and the time delay is only very small in the overall scheme of things. In fact, I doubt there is an real time difference relative to decoding on-the-fly, since the encoder slows up in that instance anyway.

Reply #11
well, I'm not primarily talking about speed, it's more a matter of space to me. But with current drives it shouldn't be a great deal! It would be nice though

Reply #12
oggdropXPd V1.6beta3 available from Mirror 1, below.

What's new? Mainly cosmetic changes, but the 'Scale Factor' and 'Lowpass' boxes are now input 'edit' boxes. 'Scale Factor' will accept any floating point number (upto 2 decimal places) upto 300% of original scale, and 'Lowpass' will accept any integer value between 0 and 22050. Also, the 'Quality Slider' has become a horizontal Scroll Bar making precise adjustment much easier.

Reply #13
Good work, john33

Is it possible to have the oggdropXPd to remember the Genre and date information also?
Right now it only remember the artist, album and title information.

Reply #14
oggdropXPd V1.6beta4 now available at Mirror 1.

Two changes:

1.) The rescaling now displays the decrease/increase in volume in decibels for any entered Scale Factor.

2.) The tagging is rewritten to be almost identical to the Monkey's Audio tagging. In order to edit tagging requirements, 'AUTO tagging' needs to be checked on the Menu. This has been done so as to provide greater flexibility. All tagging settings are saved in the ini file.

Reply #15
2.) The tagging is rewritten to be almost identical to the Monkey's Audio tagging. In order to edit tagging requirements, 'AUTO tagging' needs to be checked on the Menu. This has been done so as to provide greater flexibility. All tagging settings are saved in the ini file.

John, you rock!! That was kinda extremely fast. I promise to test the new auto tagging with the weirdest schemes I sometimes use when encoding batches of WAVs. (Something like "Artist -- Album -- Genre -- Year -- Tracknumer -- Title" )

The only thing missing to catch up with WinVorbis is an option that will also rename encoded files according to tags.  Anyway, great job!

Reply #16
Dont know where the problem is from and I am hoping I can express this confusing bug in a clear term.

I am using the new beta of oggdropXPd(tried both beta 3 and 4), and using the VorbisGain v0.32 (libvorbis 1.0) using the  --album option and with winamp in_vorbis v1.2.9(with replaygain check and using audiophile/album), the file will not play. 

Leaving the files alone, if I change the option in "in_vorbis v1.2.9"(with replaygain check and using radio), the file will play fine.

OR

If I re-convert the file using oggdropXPd version 1.0, and use vorbisgain --album and play it with in_vorbis(replaygain checked and using audiophile or radio) it will play fine.

Maybe I should write this in if and while statements, it might be easier to understand. 

Reply #17
The tagging is rewritten to be almost identical to the Monkey's Audio tagging.

That was fast, John! Need I say I am impressed?  I'll give the whole thing a go soon, but one nitpick: the genre field needs to be modified so one can type in a genre if a suitable one isn't already in the drop-down list. Similar to what Exact Audio Copy 0.9 beta 4 does...

A request: since oggdropXPd.exe is the only file that's updated, would it be possible for you to host an upgrade zip file containing only the updated files from the previous beta? This will cut down o ndownloads and save on bandwidth.

One more request: would you be able to re-compile OggDropXPd 1.5 [libVorbis 1.0] with the advanced tagging mode? Thanks!

Cheers
CD

Edit: Changed quote date and time to ISO 8601 format.

Reply #18
Dont know where the problem is from and I am hoping I can express this confusing bug in a clear term.

I am using the new beta of oggdropXPd(tried both beta 3 and 4), and using the VorbisGain v0.32 (libvorbis 1.0) using the  --album option and with winamp in_vorbis v1.2.9(with replaygain check and using audiophile/album), the file will not play.  

Leaving the files alone, if I change the option in "in_vorbis v1.2.9"(with replaygain check and using radio), the file will play fine.

OR

If I re-convert the file using oggdropXPd version 1.0, and use vorbisgain --album and play it with in_vorbis(replaygain checked and using audiophile or radio) it will play fine.

Maybe I should write this in if and while statements, it might be easier to understand.  

I'm not sure what to suggest here. I just encoded some files and vorbisgained them as you indicated and they played back fine thru Winamp using in_vorbis 1.2.9 with replaygain checked, using Album. It doesn't really sound (no pun intended!) like an encoding problem, otherwise they wouldn't play back at all.

Reply #19
The tagging is rewritten to be almost identical to the Monkey's Audio tagging.

That was fast, John! Need I say I am impressed?  I'll give the whole thing a go soon, but one nitpick: the genre field needs to be modified so one can type in a genre if a suitable one isn't already in the drop-down list. Similar to what Exact Audio Copy 0.9 beta 4 does...

A request: since oggdropXPd.exe is the only file that's updated, would it be possible for you to host an upgrade zip file containing only the updated files from the previous beta? This will cut down o ndownloads and save on bandwidth.

One more request: would you be able to re-compile OggDropXPd 1.5 [libVorbis 1.0] with the advanced tagging mode? Thanks!

Cheers
CD

What I will do, if the release of Vorbis 1.1 looks like being somewhat delayed, is to recompile 1.6 using the 1.0 libraries. I'll do this over the weekend if there is no further news on 1.1. I'll also look at your request for adding genres.

Reply #20
First of all just a big and loud RESPEEEEEHCT to john33 and his good and fast work on OggDropXP.
Now about my problems: I was trying some things with latest beta (Its' beta 4 in this second) and i have some problems with tagging:
I'm using " -  " as  the separator, but the problem seem to be the spaces before and after the "-". If i leave the spaces out in the separator field it kind of works fine, unfortunately the spaces are part of the other tag fields then. (Example: "White Zombie" turns into " White Zombie" (Space at the beginning) .... How can i add the space thing into the separator field? ... obviously " - " doesn't work)
Another problem i have (this is at least the more importanat one, but anyway) is that it doesn't create playable ogg-files at all. They are just around 10-30 kb big ... seems to be as it would just be the tag, OggDropXP seems to work fine (sources have been regular wav files), you can watch the progress bar working and the speed of it makes me think that it is encoding, but the file that i get at the end is just the tag itself (that's what i guess at least).
What am i doing wrong? I was using OggDropXP 1.5 before and it worked, so i assume that i know how to get it to work generally.

Thanks again for your hard work on OggDropXP, john33 ... any help for my problem is appreciated very much!

EDIT: just one expression
Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one! (Benjamin Franklin)

Reply #21
I did some more testing regarding tagging ... it just seems to work up to %4 ... higher numbers are not handled the right way ...
e.g. if you configure OggDropXP like Artist=%5 then you'll find "%5" in the tag, the same with higher numbers.
My name structure was Artist-Album-Trachnumber-Title-Year if that matters, but i don't think so!

btw. i still can't produce ogg's that i could play, see my post above ... But the short files that are created can be loaded into Winamp, where i can take look into the tag information then.
Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one! (Benjamin Franklin)

Reply #22
First of all just a big and loud RESPEEEEEHCT to john33 and his good and fast work on OggDropXP.
Now about my problems: I was trying some things with latest beta (Its' beta 4 in this second) and i have some problems with tagging:
I'm using " -  " as  the separator, but the problem seem to be the spaces before and after the "-". If i leave the spaces out in the separator field it kind of works fine, unfortunately the spaces are part of the other tag fields then. (Example: "White Zombie" turns into " White Zombie" (Space at the beginning) .... How can i add the space thing into the separator field? ... obviously " - " doesn't work)
Another problem i have (this is at least the more importanat one, but anyway) is that it doesn't create playable ogg-files at all. They are just around 10-30 kb big ... seems to be as it would just be the tag, OggDropXP seems to work fine (sources have been regular wav files), you can watch the progress bar working and the speed of it makes me think that it is encoding, but the file that i get at the end is just the tag itself (that's what i guess at least).
What am i doing wrong? I was using OggDropXP 1.5 before and it worked, so i assume that i know how to get it to work generally.

Thanks again for your hard work on OggDropXP, john33 ... any help for my problem is appreciated very much!

EDIT: just one expression

First, I am currently only looking at the separator as a single character. However, I did wonder whether that would be good enough! I'll look at amending that to use whatever is entered in the separator box.

The encoding problem is a strange one that I can't reproduce. I'll be putting out beta 5 very soon, so maybe that will be OK.
I did some more testing regarding tagging ... it just seems to work up to %4 ... higher numbers are not handled the right way ...
e.g. if you configure OggDropXP like Artist=%5 then you'll find "%5" in the tag, the same with higher numbers.
My name structure was Artist-Album-Trachnumber-Title-Year if that matters, but i don't think so!

This one I understand as I made the assumption that 4 fields in the filename, etc., would be enough. Obviously not! How many should it be? Is 5 enough, or should it be 6 or 7? It can be any of those, or more if really necessary!

Reply #23

I am using the new beta of oggdropXPd(tried both beta 3 and 4), and using the VorbisGain v0.32 (libvorbis 1.0) using the  --album option and with winamp in_vorbis v1.2.9(with replaygain check and using audiophile/album), the file will not play.  

OR

I'm not sure what to suggest here. I just encoded some files and vorbisgained them as you indicated and they played back fine thru Winamp using in_vorbis 1.2.9 with replaygain checked, using Album. It doesn't really sound (no pun intended!) like an encoding problem, otherwise they wouldn't play back at all.

I will try to meet you online and send you one of the probmatic file if you are interested. 

Reply #24
... as I made the assumption that 4 fields in the filename, etc., would be enough. Obviously not! How many should it be? Is 5 enough, or should it be 6 or 7? It can be any of those, or more if really necessary!

I really don't how i wil handle batch encoding in the future, but i think it would be a good idea to have every information in the filename for batch encoding/tagging.
From my point of view i always want to have the following information in the tags: 1. Artist 2. CD Title 3. Tracknr. 4. Track Title 5. Year 6. Genre
That would be 6 all together and it would be fine (at least for my needs) ... even 5 might be okay, but maybe in one of the futur version getting Genre information out of the filename might be added, too .... 

Just a note about my encoding problem: I tried version 1.5 again and no problem at all, but still no success with 1.6beta4.
thanks anyway for the reply and the support ...  looking forward for beta5, might help with my problem!