Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Feature request: multiple streams per file (Read 4311 times) previous topic - next topic

Feature request: multiple streams per file

I'm about to move from 1 file / track to 1 file / disc scheme.
It works great with CDs, but not with DVDs (and I guess BDs too) because they often have separate stereo and multichannel streams, so I have to use 2 files anyway.
How about support for putting them together? (And maybe compressing together?)

Reply #1
I’m not sure exactly how this would work with standard WavPack. Since the WAV file format has no support for this, I guess that the source would have to be two separate audio streams/files, and on decoding there would have to be some indication to only decode the desired sub-stream. This would require some API changes to the WavPack library and probably break compatibility with existing players.

However, it looks like RF64 supports having a separate stereo downmix, so if and when that format gets incorporated into WavPack, it should be possible (although it would still require players to be aware of it). I will definitely consider this when I implement those newer formats (I have only done CAF so far which does not have this feature).

Reply #2
I think it is out of the scope of WavPack to provide a general multimedia container format, so I recommend using the multimedia container format Matroska for something like this, since it is its intended purpose to allow multiplexing of multimedia streams. mkvtoolnix/mkvmerge(GUI) handles WavPack files just fine. Main problem is the playback of those files: While, for example, foobar2000 will play the main track just fine, I it is impossible to access the additional audio streams. You'd have to use a full-fledged multimedia (video) player for that. A solution for that problem would be to append all the input files, which can be done with mkvmerge(GUI), and create a chapter layout with a chapter for every track/stream. Then foobar2000 will be able to play every chapter, since it supports Matroska chapters. Shoot (PM) if you need any more pointers.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #3
Kohlrabi, you made me think...While I still think it would be useful to have it in wavpack, the need seems to be much lower than I thought.
In fact I didn't mention one of other problems that I have with DVD-As because it was clearly not Wavpack's business - bonus videos.

I'll explore the option of using video containers. Foobar compatibility is unnecessary. Amarok is more like it.