IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Hydrogenaudio Forum Rules

- No Warez. This includes warez links, cracks and/or requests for help in getting illegal software or copyrighted music tracks!
- No Spamming or Trolling on the boards, this includes useless posts, trying to only increase post count or trying to deliberately create a flame war.
- No Hateful or Disrespectful posts. This includes: bashing, name-calling or insults directed at a board member.
- Click here for complete Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
moving to Linux, i dont know wish distro...
Reiginsei
post Apr 10 2004, 23:16
Post #26

Group: Members
Member No.: 2880

This page lists a bunch of them http://www.newsreaders.com/unix/servers.html
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DonP
post Apr 11 2004, 00:03
Post #27

Group: Members (Donating)
Member No.: 4955

If you are considering adding a hard drive, now (when adding linux) would be a good time. That way you don't have to worry about shrinking your NTFS (windows file system) to make room on the hard drive for the linux partitions. I think most distro's
don't handle ntfs shrinking well.
+Quote Post
ddrawley
post Apr 11 2004, 14:45
Post #28

Group: Members (Donating)
Member No.: 3749

I am a big fan of OpenBSD for a firewall. I have been running one for a few years. OpenBSD is not as civilized as something like Debian Linux (that means easy.) Patches are harder to apply. APT-GET in Debian is a dream.
I tried OpenBSD for a desktop. I didn't care for the results. Debian was quite a bit easier for me to build a desktop machine or Samba server. The Debian also did better as a primary domain controller. I could script automatic machine adding. This was not possible in OpenBSD.
+Quote Post
QuantumKnot
post Apr 12 2004, 01:26
Post #29

Group: Developer
Member No.: 4097

QUOTE (DonP @ Apr 11 2004, 09:03 AM)
If you are considering adding a hard drive, now (when adding linux) would be a good time.  That way you don't have to worry about shrinking your NTFS  (windows file system) to make room on the hard drive for the linux partitions.  I think most distro's
don't handle ntfs shrinking well.

You could use PartitionMagic to shrink your NTFS partition which usually works fine. Though John33 would have a differing opinion about PM wink.gif
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 02:40