2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
LP to CD Conversion, Hardware, Software, Guides
dvautier
post Mar 30 2005, 20:06
Post #26

Group: Members
Member No.: 20241

This has been a real fun thread. I love the discussion of direct drive turntables. My Sony is vintage 80s direct drive and made of plastic, except for the platter and tone arm. I am extremely pleased with it because it will even track warped records.

I did put together another page that talks about LPs at

http://dvautier.home.comcast.net/lp/lp.htm

for whatever it may be worth??? tongue.gif tongue.gif
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
optimali
post Jun 5 2005, 05:57
Post #27

Member No.: 22252

I have an Akai DD c. late 80's with I think a replacement cartridge that I think was nothing special at the time but ok. Only thing is I've always had this problem with certain records where the treble gets a lot of stuff added on top of it and sounds awful.

Can anyone tell me a method for aligning the cartridge? Should I get a new cartridge - it's been a while...

Thanks.

--------------------
<<optimali>>
+Quote Post
_Prelude_
post Jun 11 2005, 20:39
Post #28

Group: Banned
Member No.: 22646

QUOTE (dvautier @ Mar 30 2005, 01:06 PM)
This has been a real fun thread.  I love the discussion of direct drive turntables.  My Sony is vintage 80s direct drive and made of plastic, except for the platter and tone arm.  I am extremely pleased with it because it will even track warped records.

Yes!! smile.gif . I have an old Pioneer PL-300, which is direct drive with quartz.
I don't change it by anything. He works perfect smile.gif
+Quote Post
snookerdoodle
post Jun 13 2005, 14:47
Post #29

Member No.: 22035

I was looking for a stylus for my dad this weekend and found that Radio Shack sells a couple of items of interest.

One is a combination turntable, mm cartridge, and pre-amp for $100. Available in stores only, not online.

Of greater interest is a standalone battery operated pre-amp for $25. The downside is that the pre-amp does not appear to be available at any stores around me. It was of interest because it is inexepensive and allows connection of a turntable to a soundcard without a "big" preamp or receiver. Why is of such great interest is that it caused me to type "phono preamp" into Amazon's product search and they've got quite a collection starting at $15. With diminishing returns, you probably get what you pay for, but most folks wouldn't pass an ABX comparing an original master to a $2500 preamp and then a $40 one, IMHO. (I don't think either on is gonna sound like the master, which is what the recording engineer intended for you to hear - allowing for the practice of tweaking masters that they knew were going to go to vinyl only).

If you're picky, you probably will not be happy with the turntable combo.

I got my Dad a new Shure M97xE from Amazon for $56. It's better than the cartridge he had. smile.gif

Mark
+Quote Post
2Bdecided
post Jun 14 2005, 11:14
Post #30

ReplayGain developer

Group: Developer
Member No.: 409

Isn't it amazing how much new equipment is available to support an audio format that was supposed to be dead a decade ago?

Compare that with formats that really did manage to die (like 8-track tapes or wax cylinders) and it makes you wonder just how long vinyl can survive as a niche product?

As long as there are indie bands, mix DJs and audiophiles who prefer vinyl.

It's good for me - what would I and other record collectors do if you couldn't buy new styli?

Cheers,
David.
+Quote Post
optimali
post Jun 14 2005, 17:12
Post #31

Member No.: 22252

For ppl who want to align their cartridges, here's some info:

http://www.google.com/search?q=align+turntable+cartridge

Cartridge Alignment Guide for Beginners

--------------------
<<optimali>>
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th November 2014 - 18:21