Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Feature Request: Newlines in Playlist (Read 2182 times) previous topic - next topic

Feature Request: Newlines in Playlist

Hi,

I think it would be good if there was a way to create newlines in the playlist, which is afaik not possible at the moment (I don't know a way to do so and I didn't find one by searching either).

The reason I would like to see such a feature is that I want to modify nuhi's Playlist Format strings ( http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....&t=4899&st=350& ) a little bit to show a newline after each album.

Reply #1
I think newlines would probably be a pain to add (though I'm not sure) and since no one else seems to care, I don't think you'll be seeing that anytime soon.

There's also a problem with your idea.  You'd have no way of knowing where to add the newline, because there's no _num_of_tracks_in_album field.  So you'd need to fake it, by either adding a newline at the beginning of the first track, or by adding your own field with the number of tracks (or make sure that all of your albums use the "x / y" tracknumber format).

You could simulate either by adding an "empty" track to each album (the empty track will be your newline).  Or, better yet, add an empty track at the end of each album, containing a tag like "end_of_album__empty", and when you see that tag, you simply set its display string as an empty string.  Someone else will have to tell you how to add empty tracks, though.  I don't know how to do that without actually adding a truncated mp3 to each album.

Reply #2
would it really be that hard to add this feature?
I mean, you could just add an additional field for every row in the playlist that tells what type of content the row has - either 'info about a file' (thats what we've got right now) or 'additional info' e.g. a simple newline or something else that needs an additional row.
It should also be possible to access the data of the following and previous entrys with 'info about a file' in order to be able of displaying e.g. the album name in the 'additional info' type fields.

Then showing a playlist like this would be possible without hacks like special tagging of additional files:

Artist1  -  Album1
    01. Song #1                  02:04min
    02. Song #2                  02:04min
    03. Song #3                  02:04min

somefilewithouttags.mp3    02:05min
anotherfilewithouttags.mp3  02:06min

Artist2  -  Album2
    01. Song #1                02:04min
    02. Song #2                02:04min
    03. Song #3                02:04min

and so on....

I would prefer this kind of view a lot because it is easier to read.

Reply #3
Well, unfortunately it seems there isn't too much interest in my suggestion .

But shouldn't it be at least possible to make the unicode character for newline work?
That would increase the possibilites a lot, too. And it should be easier to do, I guess.