Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: iPod manager (Read 2238071 times) previous topic - next topic

[seemingly abandonware] iPod manager

Reply #3950
2. If the album art is not embedded in the file you will need to re download it. You can use album art downloader to help you with this.

3. You can't recover the playlists with this plugin.

Thank! The album downloader is something that [hopefully] I can really use. I guess the playlist thing is a drawback of "abandonware". i.e. It just never got that far?
I think I will [de]select all of the tracks in that playlist and do another transfer. I can always recreate it again.

EDIT: Have you used the album downloader? Do you just point it to your music collection and then do some setup or "pick and choose"?

Reply #3951
You can use the folder browser and then it will give you a bunch of images, hold left click for the preview and double click will save the image as folder.jpg in the folder your working in.

say I had this folder structure.

D:\Music\Apples\1909 - nice apples\01. so many apples.mp3
D:\Music\Bananas\1909 - long bananas\01. lovely bunch of bananas.mp3

I would set the folder browser location to D:\music and it will look for cover art for every folder\file under that directory. This program assumes that each folder contains 1 album.
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #3952
I seem to be stuck at this step: I am trying to remove the playlist, "Rolling Stones 500 Greatest Songs of All Time", and all the music files associated with it. Windows Media Player allows to you this very thing [seemingly]. I watched it as it reported deleted the playlist and then all of the 500 tracks. But, when I did a "Load Library" in Foobar, they all seemed to be still there?? Is there a way via Foobar w/iPod Manager to isolate these tracks and delete them before I do another transfer to the hard drive??

EDIT: I used the iPod menu and under Music>Playlists there is only the defaults: Genius and On-The-Go. However, when I browse among artists that I know had a track in that playlist, the track is still there! Ouch, somehow, the iPod seems to associate the tracks with the artist, even though the playlist is no longer there? This might explain when I've been transferring music to the hard drive, folders and tracks for artists the only were in that playlist were created.
This is the biggest PITA. You would think there would be a way to isolate these tracks and remove. I just did another "Load Library" and "Copy to..." and there they are...

Reply #3953
EDIT2: Ah, the search bar is your friend...

Reply #3954
You can use the folder browser and then it will give you a bunch of images, hold left click for the preview and double click will save the image as folder.jpg in the folder your working in.

say I had this folder structure.

D:\Music\Apples\1909 - nice apples\01. so many apples.mp3
D:\Music\Bananas\1909 - long bananas\01. lovely bunch of bananas.mp3

I would set the folder browser location to D:\music and it will look for cover art for every folder\file under that directory. This program assumes that each folder contains 1 album.

I am just getting around to installing this. There are some install options: Image Download Scripts, where it is not clear to me which are needed/wanted. I guess I'll choose all of above and see how it goes.
This might help. Maybe you could tell me if this thread/forum helped you or not?

EDIT: The "Save Images to:" C:\Users\Administrator\Pictures\Album Art\%artist%\%album%\Folder%preset%.%extension%. Is this the best choice? i.e. I have all music stored on a drive [D:] that is NOT my system drive [C:].

EDIT2: And, my first album seach for "ABBA" The Definitive Collection - Disc 1 [where there all 3 discs] resulted in an overwhelming amount of arkwork to sift through? I guess you have to "fine tune" this aspect of it.

EDIT3: I limited the artwork to MusicBrainz as an experiment. There really are so many choices in this software. And, I bet a lot of folks want to automate the process somewhat if you are missing a lot of artwork as I am.

Reply #3955
I tend to save the album art in to the same folder as the music. if you use the New > File browser and scan the directory and tick the album or albums you want to find it will automatically save the art in to the folder with the music.

Yes there can be a lot of results. I tend to sort them by size and then try and get album art of 1000px (or over and resize back to 1000px).

This is not the tool to use if you want to automate it. I would rather spend the time getting the album art correct the first time, when you have a good backup solution you shouldn't need to do this over and over.

Reply #3956
I tend to save the album art in to the same folder as the music. if you use the New > File browser and scan the directory and tick the album or albums you want to find it will automatically save the art in to the folder with the music.

Yes there can be a lot of results. I tend to sort them by size and then try and get album art of 1000px (or over and resize back to 1000px).

This is not the tool to use if you want to automate it. I would rather spend the time getting the album art correct the first time, when you have a good backup solution you shouldn't need to do this over and over.

1. After double-clicking on artwork, I can see a "Folder.jpg" in the album folder. This seems to happen w/o having done any configuration. Is the artwork being stored elsewhere as well?
2. Why do you choose 1000px? Is the because you get better quality?

Reply #3957
It will only save in to 1 location when double clicking, you can right click and save as though.

I'm not sure why I picked 1000px, maybe to sort of future proof it with higher res displays. with 1000px your looking at around 500kb per cover art. It's really up to you, if you going to through the hassle of finding the art work you might as well get a highish resolution of it.

Reply #3958
It will only save in to 1 location when double clicking, you can right click and save as though.

I'm not sure why I picked 1000px, maybe to sort of future proof it with higher res displays. with 1000px your looking at around 500kb per cover art. It's really up to you, if you going to through the hassle of finding the art work you might as well get a highish resolution of it.

What's happening to me [although I have no idea why] is from multi-disc albums sets. i.e. Chicago Box Set 1-5. 1 and 3 had no album art [no idea why]. The other 3 had album art. If you look at the folder locations on the hard dive, you can confirm this. So, it would be nice in a case like this for me to save to more than one folder. You right-click on the album art [1 of many] and get a choice to save in more than one location?

Reply #3959
I have a question about using the database component of foo_dop. I want my iPod to display track numbers everywhere a song title is displayed. It seems as if Apple decided that they would not do this for some reason. i.e. 01. Song title
Using this, would remapping "Title" with %tracknumber%. %title% work? Does the '.' require special care? Any advice would be appreciated!

Reply #3960
Sometimes I get an error message from windows when I try to copy over a "folder.jpg" in the album folder? Strange. I can do this manually in Windows Explorer. Why not in the Album Art Downloader?

Reply #3961
What's happening to me [although I have no idea why] is from multi-disc albums sets. i.e. Chicago Box Set 1-5. 1 and 3 had no album art [no idea why]. The other 3 had album art. If you look at the folder locations on the hard dive, you can confirm this. So, it would be nice in a case like this for me to save to more than one folder. You right-click on the album art [1 of many] and get a choice to save in more than one location?

EDIT: It seems like almost every multi-disc album has 1 album with artwork and 1 missing. This must be something wrong with the transfer iPod to hard drive.

Reply #3962
"Synchronize Ipod>Which items would you like be on your iPod dialog", still has "Rolling Stone Magazine 500 Greatest Songs iOf All Time" [unchecked]. I removed this from both my media library and iPod. Is there some method of deleting items from this list?

Reply #3963
[I just finished getting my music collection back together - album art, etc.]
I just noticed one quirky thing. I have two albums: [2004] Greatest Hits in album view. One is Guns N Rose and the other is Neil Young. However, they are both displayed in the same view: [2004] Greatest Hits. i.e. 01. Down by the River and 01. Welcome to the Jungle and so on. IOW, one track by Neil Young and one track by Guns N Rose and so on. I don't remember this happening in the past? Is it just because they share the same album name? And, if so, what can I do to distinguish them? If I access either of them via the Artist view, all is well. [This happens in Foobar>Facets too]

Reply #3965
Can anyone comment on my last post?

Reply #3966
Can you provide a screen shot of what you are seeing? foobar2000 should differentiate between two albums with the same Date and Album tags as long as the Artist or Album Artist tags are not the same.

Reply #3967
Can you provide a screen shot of what you are seeing? foobar2000 should differentiate between two albums with the same Date and Album tags as long as the Artist or Album Artist tags are not the same.

Take a look at my last post in Facets. You can see that this works and the display is fine [in Facets]. It's the iPod where this is still happening.

Reply #3968
Addendum to my post above:
I need to point out that this happens in iPod only if you access in album view. i.e. Music>Album If you go Artist>Album, the albums display as you would expect.

Reply #3969
Again, please provide a screen shot of what you are seeing. I do not use Facets (I use the Default UI), but I also have never had an issue with foobar2000 displaying two separate albums with the same Album and Date tags, but with different Artist tags as being grouped together.

Reply #3970
Again, please provide a screen shot of what you are seeing. I do not use Facets (I use the Default UI), but I also have never had an issue with foobar2000 displaying two separate albums with the same Album and Date tags, but with different Artist tags as being grouped together.

I tried to describe above that the display in Foobar is no longer the issue. This helped with the display in Foobar. It's the display in my iPod where this is still happening. And, so this is why I am asking here in the foo_dop thread, hoping that someone might have an idea of how to correct it?

Reply #3971
Oh, I see what you're saying now. My apologies for being dense.

That is an issue with the iPod software itself. When you are in the Album menu, tracks that have the same album name will be grouped together even if they have different Artist tags. I have the same issue on my own iPod as the bands Queen and Blind Guardian both have an album by the same name (A Night at the Opera). I'm not aware of a way to resolve that apart from giving each album a unique title.

Edit: The most recent thread on this subject on Apple's support forums seems to be from 2011: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2733463

Reply #3972
Oh, I see what you're saying now. My apologies for being dense.

That is an issue with the iPod software itself. When you are in the Album menu, tracks that have the same album name will be grouped together even if they have different Artist tags. I have the same issue on my own iPod as the bands Queen and Blind Guardian both have an album by the same name (A Night at the Opera). I'm not aware of a way to resolve that apart from giving each album a unique title.

Edit: The most recent thread on this subject on Apple's support forums seems to be from 2011: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2733463

Thx! I kinda figured it might come to some sort of renaming scheme. Although, I'm not above pointing the finger at Apple. They could have easily come up with a more elegant solution? 

Reply #3973
[I am installing Windows 10 and will have to reinstall Foobar and foo_dop]
I thought I remembered a better way to use iPod w/o installing iTunes? Can someone point me to this?

EDIT: I came across this: "iphonecalc.dll" 1. I am not sure this is specific to iPhone as compared with my iPod? 2. I searched my hard drive [with iTunes installed] and could not find "iphonecalc.dll". I am not sure how to interpret this?

Reply #3974
I'm posting the steps I took to get my iPod Touch 3G working again with foo_dop after accidentally updating Quicktime (which I never used) thus breaking syncing to my iPod. I had previously been using foo_dop v0.6.8.3 from years back. I do not recall which version of iTunes installer I originally used for AAS and AMDS (probably v9.0 or v9.1).
Anyways, this is how I got my iPod to sync again with foobar2000.

Relevant program versions used:
  • Windows 7 x64
  • iPod Touch 3G, model MC008C (32GB), iOS v4.1
  • foobar2000 v1.1.5
  • foo_dop v0.6.9.7
  • Apple Application Support v2.1.7 (from iTunes 10.6.1 x64 installer)
  • Apple Mobile Device Support x64 v5.1.1.4 (from iTunes 10.6.1 x64 installer)
  • Neither iTunes nor Quicktime installed
  • iPhoneCalc library not nessesary

Steps taken:
  • Uninstall all previous versions of iTunes, Apple Application Support, Apple Mobile Device Support, Quicktime
  • Update foo_dop to version 0.6.9.7 if you haven't already
  • Download iTunes 10.6.1 x64 installer (found here: http://www.oldversion.com/windows/itunes/) and extract/unpack the iTunes64Setup.exe file using a file archiver such as 7zip. Inside there are six msi installer files.
  • Install AppleMobileDeviceSupport64.msi
  • Install AppleApplicationSupport.msi

When starting foobar2000, there should not be any error messages that pop up. I also had to perform a "Rewrite database" on my iPod via foo_dop before it could synchronize again. Before I did this, it would always tell me that the iPod could not be found when I tried to do a sync, yet it knew it was there and I could view my iPod properties via foo_dop just fine. After a "Rewrite database" everything was fine again.
Hopefully this helps someone else!

Edit: Recently I discovered that with the above configuration foobar now crashes every time I close it (and on start-up again it gives the safe-mode dialog option popup). It has something to do with foo_dop v0.6.9.7 and the versions of AAS and/or AMDS I was using. I have since tried a different version of AAS and AMDS, still using foo_dop v0.6.9.7 and it appears to have stopped foobar from crashing during exit. I now use Apple Application Support v1.5.2 and Apple Mobile Device Support x64 v3.4.1.2 which can be found within the iTunes 10.3 x64 installer. Link to iTunes 10.3 x64 installer: http://www.oldapps.com/itunes.php?old_itunes=79

Update after fixing a problem where foobar would crash on exit using foo_dop v0.6.9.7