Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Vorbis Normalizer (Read 23705 times) previous topic - next topic

Vorbis Normalizer

After searching these forums and Google, I haven't come up with solutions, so I'm hoping someone here can help.

I've decided to convert all my mp3's using dBpowerAMP using the Ogg Vorbis aoTuV  B4 SSE2 encoder, but before I convert all of them, I need something similar to MP3Gain for Ogg Vorbis files.

I've converted one mp3 file and it's rather easy to notice that the Ogg Vorbis file is quieter.

Also, if anyone more experienced has any better suggestions, this is what I'll be doing to rip CD's into Ogg Vorbis files.

- Rip the CD into Ogg Vorbis files with Winamp using the Xiph.org encoder.

- Run DBpowerAMP on the ripped files.

- Run the Ogg Vorbis volume normalizer.

I'm rather new to using Ogg Vorbis files, so if anyone has a better suggestion on how to do this, let me know.

Vorbis Normalizer

Reply #1
I've converted one mp3 file and it's rather easy to notice that the Ogg Vorbis file is quieter.[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You know, I think I experience the same problem [a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=41100&hl=dbpoweramp#]here[/url]. Not sure if it's really same though...

Well for me, I prefer to do it like this:
- Rip the CD into Ogg Vorbis using EAC and Lancer
- Run VorbisGain (I assume this is what you mean by volume normalizer)
- Transcode to MP3 using WinLame or MediaCoder

Hope this helps.

Vorbis Normalizer

Reply #2
I've looked into VorbisGain, but I can seem to get it to run. When I open it, a command prompt window opens for half a second and closes.

Vorbis Normalizer

Reply #3
Well for me, I prefer to do it like this:
- Rip the CD into Ogg Vorbis using EAC and Lancer
- Run VorbisGain (I assume this is what you mean by volume normalizer)
- Transcode to MP3 using WinLame or MediaCoder

Hope this helps.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Why are you ripping audio from a CD to Ogg Vorbis and then transcoding it to mp3????

Rip to mp3 straight with EAC (using LAME of course) and then apply replaygain or mp3gain.

You can also use [a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=35158&view=findpost&p=309563]REACT[/url] to apply wavegain BEFORE converting to a lossy (or lossless) format.  That way you don't even need replaygain/mp3gain/vorbisgain.

I know this doesn't help Landus, but it might help you pepoluan, and maybe Landus and others in the future.

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']
EDIT: spelling
[/span]

Vorbis Normalizer

Reply #4
I'm not ripping audio from a CD to Ogg Vorbis and then transcoding it to mp3.

Please pay attention to who your quoting.

Vorbis Normalizer

Reply #5
REACT does help when I rip CD's now, but I still have the problem of the fair amount of mp3's that when I convert into Ogg Vorbis, are quieter than the mp3 file they came from.

Vorbis Normalizer

Reply #6
Alright, to give an example of my problem, I've cut down 'You're Everything' by Bo Bice to a nine second ogg file.

The first ogg file is the result of using the July 2005 Lancer encoder with dBpowerAMP because the January 2006 version has stdin problems and doesn't work with the SSE2 dBpowerAMP plugin and the November 2005 zip is corrupted.

The second ogg file is the result of using EAC with the January 2006 Lancer encoder on the exact CD I transcoded the mp3 that was used to create the ogg file that's described above.

Vorbis Normalizer

Reply #7
No one can help?

Vorbis Normalizer

Reply #8
I've converted one mp3 file and it's rather easy to notice that the Ogg Vorbis file is quieter.[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You know, I think I experience the same problem [a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=41100&hl=dbpoweramp#]here[/url].
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=367537"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That was it. Thanks.

Vorbis Normalizer

Reply #9

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=367535"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just curious, but what is the point of the DBpowerAMP step?

I've looked into VorbisGain, but I can seem to get it to run. When I open it, a command prompt window opens for half a second and closes.

That's because VorbisGain is a console program. Either get a front-end that supports it (unfortunately, I don't know much about those...), or learn how to open a command prompt, go to the root folder of your Vorbis files and type something like "VorbisGain -far *.ogg" (assuming you do want to apply album gain). 

And note that VorbisGain needs support in the player application for it to work. It doesn't change anything in the file, as MP3Gain can do, it just adds some tags.

Vorbis Normalizer

Reply #10
Lear> I§m also wondering about the DbPowerAMP step.

I believe the best solution is to rip a whole CD to WAVs, then apply wavegain (album gain) to the tracks and then convert it to whatever format I want (using LAMEDrop, OGGDrop or BeLight for example).

Now I have some questions for you guys:

1) Why there is no dB setting in WaveGain (frontend)? I usually set MP3Gain to 91 dB. I believe this is a basic parametr for normalization. I think WaveGain tries to normalize the files to 89 dB, which is too quiet for me. So I set an extra gain of 2 dB. Am I doing it right?

2) Can I automate this with REACT? If yes, how? The problem I see is that the whole CD has to be ripped to WAV before I use WaveGain.

3) Do you have any other suggestions for me?

Thanks,
Vlada

Vorbis Normalizer

Reply #11
I believe the best solution is to rip a whole CD to WAVs, then apply wavegain (album gain) to the tracks and then convert it to whatever format I want (using LAMEDrop, OGGDrop or BeLight for example).

This seems utterly pointless. (Just convert and apply format-specific ReplayGain later. Don't use wavgain)

1) Why there is no dB setting in WaveGain (frontend)? I usually set MP3Gain to 91 dB. I believe this is a basic parametr for normalization. I think WaveGain tries to normalize the files to 89 dB, which is too quiet for me. So I set an extra gain of 2 dB. Am I doing it right?

Probably because the ReplayGain standard mandates 89dB. If that's not loud enough, the player should boost it. Using different dB levels defeats the entire purpose of ReplayGain.

Vorbis Normalizer

Reply #12
I'm not ripping audio from a CD to Ogg Vorbis and then transcoding it to mp3.

Please pay attention to who your quoting.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=367553"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
What? I didn't quote you.  You should pay attention.

This seems utterly pointless. (Just convert and apply format-specific ReplayGain later. Don't use wavgain)[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=367737"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I agree that vlada's solution is a little excessive to say the least.  It can all be done via EAC with much less steps (may need to add something like REACT, MAREO, WACT etc into the equation). 
I also agree that wavegain isn't the best option, even though I mentioned it (simply as an option).  For me it's replyagain all the way.  My software (foobar) and hardware (iRiver H120 with Rockbox) support it so I'm happy.

Vorbis Normalizer

Reply #13
After experimenting, removing the tags from the mp3 files with MP3Gain and then converting them makes the resulting ogg vorbis the same decible level as the mp3 it was created from.

Also, they all seem to be set at the same decible range.

Vorbis Normalizer

Reply #14

That's because VorbisGain is a console program. Either get a front-end that supports it (unfortunately, I don't know much about those...), or learn how to open a command prompt, go to the root folder of your Vorbis files and type something like "VorbisGain -far *.ogg" (assuming you do want to apply album gain). 

And note that VorbisGain needs support in the player application for it to work. It doesn't change anything in the file, as MP3Gain can do, it just adds some tags.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=367712"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Because before I wrote that, I was ripping them with the Xiph.org encoder with Winamp. Using dBpowerAMP would be re-encoding them with the Lancer encoder.

Now I'm using EAC

Vorbis Normalizer

Reply #15

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=367712"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Is there a program  that does change the file?

EDIT: If there isn't, I've been trying to get VorbisGain to write the tags in so all the Ogg files I have are set at 94.5 dB.

What switch(es) would I use to do this?

Vorbis Normalizer

Reply #16
Here's a shell add-on for you and anyone else that finds it useful. This allows you to VorbisGain by right clicking whole folders (album gain), or individual files (track gain).
1. Download VorbisGain.
2. Unpack VorbisGain.exe into your Windows directory, typically this is C:\Windows
----
Save the info listed in the code as .reg file;s, e.g.; "VorbisGain Shell Add-on - For Winamp (Installer).reg" "VorbisGain Shell Add-on - For Winamp (Uninstaller).reg"..etc.

VorbiGain Shell Add-on for Winamp (Installer):
Code: [Select]
REGEDIT4

; VorbisGain Shell Add-on - For Winamp
;
; Installs VorbisGain.exe into the Winamp Media File Context Menu.
;
; Requirements:
; 1. Winamp Full Installer v2 or v5 (www.winamp.com) that includes the Nullsoft Vorbis Decoder (in_vorbis.dll),
;    or separately downloaded Nullsoft Vorbis Decoder (in_vorbis.dll).
; 2. VorbisGain.exe must be installed into the Windows operating system directory typically
;    this is C:\WINDOWS.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File\shell\VorbisGain (Apply, This Folder)\command]
@="vorbisgain.exe -a \"*.ogg\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File\shell\VorbisGain (Remove, This Folder)\command]
@="vorbisgain.exe --clean \"*.ogg\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File\shell\VorbisGain (Apply, Only This .OGG)\command]
@="vorbisgain.exe -a \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File\shell\VorbisGain (Remove, Only This .OGG)\command]
@="vorbisgain.exe --clean \"%1\""

VorbiGain Shell Add-on for Winamp (Uninstaller):
REGEDIT4

; Removes VorbisGain.exe from the Winamp Media File Context Menu.
;
; This won't effect or harm the Winamp Media File context menu at all, it
; only removes the VorbisGain references.

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File\shell\VorbisGain (Apply, This Folder)]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File\shell\VorbisGain (Remove, This Folder)]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File\shell\VorbisGain (Apply, Only This .OGG)]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File\shell\VorbisGain (Remove, Only This .OGG)]

VorbisGain Shell Add-on for Windows (Installer):
REGEDIT4

; VorbisGain Shell Add-on Installer
;
; This installs VorbisGain into the right click context menu for folders.
; This entry supports VorbisGaining recursively and single folders. It
; also supports removing VorbisGaining recursively and single folders.
;
; NOTE: In order for this to work you must install VorbisGain.exe into the
;       Windows operating system folder, typically this is C:\WINDOWS.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\VorbisGain (Apply, Recursive)\command]
@="vorbisgain.exe -r -a \"%L\\*.ogg\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\VorbisGain (Remove, Recursive)\command]
@="vorbisgain.exe -r --clean \"%L\\*.ogg\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\VorbisGain (Apply, One Folder)\command]
@="vorbisgain.exe -a \"%L\\*.ogg\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\VorbisGain (Remove, One Folder)\command]
@="vorbisgain.exe --clean \"%L\\*.ogg\""

VorbisGain Shell Add-on for Windows (Uninstaller):
REGEDIT4

; VorbisGain Shell Add-on Remover
;
; This removes VorbisGain from the right click context menu for folders.

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\VorbisGain (Apply, Recursive)]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\VorbisGain (Remove, Recursive)]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\VorbisGain (Apply, One Folder)]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\VorbisGain (Remove, One Folder)]

Vorbis Normalizer

Reply #17
I've been trying to get VorbisGain to write the tags in so all the Ogg files I have are set at 94.5 dB.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=367869"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That sort of defeats the purpose altogether and why the hell bother VorbisGaining your files if you wish to use 94.5db - hence doing so will have allot of tracks that still having clipping, or tracks that were already at a proper volume may all of a sudden have clipping introduced into them.

Vorbis Normalizer

Reply #18
Here's a shell add-on for you and anyone else that finds it useful. This allows you to VorbisGain by right clicking whole folders (album gain), or individual files (track gain).
1. Download VorbisGain.
2. Unpack VorbisGain.exe into your Windows directory, typically this is C:\Windows
----
Save the info listed in the code as .reg file;s, e.g.; "VorbisGain Shell Add-on - For Winamp (Installer).reg" "VorbisGain Shell Add-on - For Winamp (Uninstaller).reg"..etc.

VorbiGain Shell Add-on for Winamp (Installer):
REGEDIT4

; VorbisGain Shell Add-on - For Winamp
;
; Installs VorbisGain.exe into the Winamp Media File Context Menu.
;
; Requirements:
; 1. Winamp Full Installer v2 or v5 (www.winamp.com) that includes the Nullsoft Vorbis Decoder (in_vorbis.dll),
;    or separately downloaded Nullsoft Vorbis Decoder (in_vorbis.dll).
; 2. VorbisGain.exe must be installed into the Windows operating system directory typically
;    this is C:\WINDOWS.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File\shell\VorbisGain (Apply, This Folder)\command]
@="vorbisgain.exe -a \"*.ogg\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File\shell\VorbisGain (Remove, This Folder)\command]
@="vorbisgain.exe --clean \"*.ogg\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File\shell\VorbisGain (Apply, Only This .OGG)\command]
@="vorbisgain.exe -a \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File\shell\VorbisGain (Remove, Only This .OGG)\command]
@="vorbisgain.exe --clean \"%1\""

VorbiGain Shell Add-on for Winamp (Uninstaller):
REGEDIT4

; Removes VorbisGain.exe from the Winamp Media File Context Menu.
;
; This won't effect or harm the Winamp Media File context menu at all, it
; only removes the VorbisGain references.

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File\shell\VorbisGain (Apply, This Folder)]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File\shell\VorbisGain (Remove, This Folder)]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File\shell\VorbisGain (Apply, Only This .OGG)]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File\shell\VorbisGain (Remove, Only This .OGG)]

VorbisGain Shell Add-on for Windows (Installer):
REGEDIT4

; VorbisGain Shell Add-on Installer
;
; This installs VorbisGain into the right click context menu for folders.
; This entry supports VorbisGaining recursively and single folders. It
; also supports removing VorbisGaining recursively and single folders.
;
; NOTE: In order for this to work you must install VorbisGain.exe into the
;       Windows operating system folder, typically this is C:\WINDOWS.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\VorbisGain (Apply, Recursive)\command]
@="vorbisgain.exe -r -a \"%L\\*.ogg\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\VorbisGain (Remove, Recursive)\command]
@="vorbisgain.exe -r --clean \"%L\\*.ogg\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\VorbisGain (Apply, One Folder)\command]
@="vorbisgain.exe -a \"%L\\*.ogg\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\VorbisGain (Remove, One Folder)\command]
@="vorbisgain.exe --clean \"%L\\*.ogg\""

VorbisGain Shell Add-on for Windows (Uninstaller):
REGEDIT4

; VorbisGain Shell Add-on Remover
;
; This removes VorbisGain from the right click context menu for folders.

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\VorbisGain (Apply, Recursive)]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\VorbisGain (Remove, Recursive)]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\VorbisGain (Apply, One Folder)]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\VorbisGain (Remove, One Folder)]

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=367876"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That should be added into the Wiki.

Vorbis Normalizer

Reply #19
That should be added into the Wiki.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=367878"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Maybe. I created those one day when I ripped allot of tracks at different times and I got sick of using the command prompt although I know how to apply VorbisGain via a command prompt. If it were to be in the Wiki some of my typos that I just noticed would have to be fixed, as well as some of my descriptions like changing "(Remove, One Folder)" to "(Remove, This Folder)"

Vorbis Normalizer

Reply #20
Is there a way to apply a certain value on all of them?

Vorbis Normalizer

Reply #21
In Winamp and in Foobar2000 you can hack the values to your hearts content. In Winamp you have to enable the extended/advanced view or something like that (don't have Winamp installed to see what the actual name is called). In Foobar2000 you can hack the values by right clicking then selecting Replaygain->Edit replaygain info (advanced).

I don't know what the peak values equal to or how to translate them, so you'll have to ask someone else that.

Vorbis Normalizer

Reply #22

This seems utterly pointless. (Just convert and apply format-specific ReplayGain later. Don't use wavgain)

Well what I want is to have all songs at the same volume level on my PC and on my portable player (currently iRiver SlimX, but I'm looking for a PMP with HDD, most likely Cowon A2). If I use VorbisGain, I seriously doubt any other player then iRiver or Archos with Rockbox will support it. I believe it is much better to have all files at the same volume level without need of any tags. Using replaygain tags limits the players I can use very much.

What is bad in using WaveGain? Are there any disadvantages?

And the last question: Why is it possible to modify MP3 files to a different volume level, but I can't do this with OGG Vorbis? Is it really technically impossible in Vorbis?

Vorbis Normalizer

Reply #23
There is a RockBox firmware for iPod too.
Ogg Vorbis for music and speech [q-2.0 - q6.0]
FLAC for recordings to be edited
Speex for speech

Vorbis Normalizer

Reply #24
And the last question: Why is it possible to modify MP3 files to a different volume level, but I can't do this with OGG Vorbis? Is it really technically impossible in Vorbis?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=367899"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's technically possible, but difficult, and nobody could be bothered to write the software for it.