Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 mobile fundraiser (Read 185738 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar2000 mobile fundraiser

Reply #225
I would rather say that without the doubling it would have taken longer time to succeed.
I see that the funds are still coming, so contributors are not just aiming at the initial goal.

But certainly doubling gave the confidence to contributors that this project would succeed.

Reply #226

Reply #227
Last chance to join the alpha testers

The foobar2000 mobile project is gearing up for the release of the first alpha versions, at the end of September the early bird items will be removed, alpha testing will begin and the earphone rewards will ship.

Reply #228
Hi guys. How are things going with Foobar2k mobile? Any significant progress? When is the beta expected to drop?

Reply #229
iOS alpha this week, we have emailed all alpha backers requesting address (ios, android and windows phone) and UDID (for ios).

Reply #230
iOS alpha this week, we have emailed all alpha backers requesting address (ios, android and windows phone) and UDID (for ios).

I just found out about this today, and am thrilled to see it. Pledging now!

Reply #231
No updates for a long time from the devs or the alpha testers. What's happening guys? How're the apps shaping up? Can we at least see some screenshots of the current builds?

Reply #232
You don't follow the mobile forum? There was just today a new alpha version out for iOS.

Reply #233
You don't follow the mobile forum? There was just today a new alpha version out for iOS.

Thanks, but no screenshots there either? How about some so us non-iOS users can also see what's cooking?

Reply #234
V1 a16: foo is not in the list of open in apps.
Plz contact ifile dev.
Thx.

Reply #235
Have there been any updates on the mobile apps? The last post on the mobile forum was last year and I can't register there to ask anything so I figured I'd post here. I'd love to have Foobar on my phone so I could use the same player on both my laptop and phone. Assuming I'll be ale to move settings, ratings, and playlists back and forth easily.

Thanks

Dave

Reply #236
The android alpha is released quite soon.

Reply #237
Sooo... first iOS alpha was released in October, first Android alpha came in March. That's 5 months instead of the estimated 2. I guess it's pretty safe to say we can't expect a WP alpha in May either (March + 2 months)... sounds like a public, final version will take at least another year

Reply #238
^at this point, they might as well wait for windows 10 and make a universal app.

Reply #239
^ you don't have to wait for win10 for that. Universal app is the way to go, as it gives you more platform coverage.
Who knows, maybe the win32 app will soon be replaced by a metro one *flees, evading stones*

Reply #240
Personally, I'd rather Microsoft abandon the whole "app" thing and go back to the native executables we're used to.  Doesn't seem to be the way things are going, though.

Even so, FB2k still works wonderfully in Win10 in its current state. I used it as the "jukebox" at a party I hosted recently from Win10 and even piped Shpeck/Milkdrop out to my TV via HDMI. No snags whatsoever.

Reply #241
Yes with Windows 10, Microsoft has announced few tools that enable porting apps from Ios and android to windows.
We can make use of that so as to reduce the windows phone app development time.
Also with Windows 10 more core API are shared between PC and phone versions.

Reply #242
Guys, you forget the fact that running iOS apps on WP is more like a plan B for the lazy, with a sub-par experience. It's particularly troublesome for a music app that needs to run properly in the background and with low latency and which also needs decent performance when we're talking about thousands of tracks (which is the case for me, at least). The iOS emu is more like a "hotfix" to the app-gap. Decent read on the topic:

iOS and Android app-porting to Windows will have limitations

Also, I'm pretty sure those who donated their money for the promised WP version were expecting a native, full-fledged app, not an emulated, half-assed port, but that's another story.

OTOH, IMO it's quite an obvious choice to make it a universal Windows app while you're at it. There's just no reason not to do so. 10% more work (for the big screen UI) -> hundreds of millions more potential users.

Reply #243
I've lost my URL to the private forum on mobile.foobar2000.com. Could someone provide the link for me? Thanks.

Reply #245
IMO there won't be emulation for Ios or android apps. The apps will be completely native but few features in other OS don't have their equal counterpart in WP so those features will be missed or they wont work at all.
The good thing to see here is that most of the compute intensive code would already be in native code and can be reused with relatively less effort and the performance won't take a hit.

By the way I read somewhere that the VLC team faced many challenges developing WP app. But that's with Windows phone 8 though.

Edit: I should point out that I have absolutely zero experience developing mobile app for any of the platforms. I think something that would benefit from the new tools provided by Microsoft would be the UI code since each platform have their own way of UI code and developers usually use the same UI layout for all platform for consistency and maintainability.

Reply #246
General update, work is progressing at a steady rate, advanced searching is about to go live to the alpha versions, Windows Phone first alpha test is not far off also (at this point there will be alpha versions on iOS, Android and Windows Phone, universal applications are included also). Skinning is a month or two off being implemented.

Once skinning is implemented beta versions can be released.

Reply #247
Looking forward to Android and Universal App. Foobar2000 on Raspberry will be great

Reply #248
I can't wait to see foobar on my phone, when this will be released? Can someone post images?

Reply #249
Release date is likely Q2 2016, give or take.