Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Game Emu Player (foo_gep) by kode54 (Read 273360 times) previous topic - next topic

Game Emu Player (foo_gep) by kode54

Reply #50
Here it is, but I must warn you, it hasn't been maintained since the end of 2005, so don't expect any of the new features or formats I've added since then.

Thanks, kode! Works like a charm.
Infrasonic Quartet + Sennheiser HD650 + Microlab Solo 2 mk3. 

Reply #51
Kode54, thanks a lot for the update but I still look forward to seeing the "Playback override" settings be used by the Converter.

Reply #52
Kode54, thanks a lot for the update but I still look forward to seeing the "Playback override" settings be used by the Converter.

Done, but don't expect it to play nice with multiple instances. (Playback, conversion, ReplayGain scanning...) The most recent instance to start will always take over the dialog, disconnecting any previous instance and leaving it with whichever settings were last applied. Don't ask why I locked it to a single instance when it was already locked to playback only.

Reply #53
Thank you !

One more suggestion: could you add an horizontal single-bar peak meter for each track in the GEP Control dialog? It would make identifying tracks (channels) easier.

Reply #54
Would it be possible to have an option to enter a default genre that gep reports for formats that don't support the field?  For example, VGM doesn't have a genre field which results in everything showing up under the ? category instead of "game" which I have usf and smc files under.
Thanks!

Reply #55
Would it be possible to have an option to enter a default genre that gep reports for formats that don't support the field?  For example, VGM doesn't have a genre field which results in everything showing up under the ? category instead of "game" which I have usf and smc files under.
Thanks!

Use [%genre%] in your titleformatting.

Reply #56
Use [%genre%] in your titleformatting.

Thanks, but I'd like stuff that legitimately doesn't have genres assigned to show up in the ? group.  Also that would result it just a nameless group instead of ?, which doesn't really change much.
Although this was my bad--I didn't mention that I was talking about the album list, not other places....sorry!

Reply #57
$if2([%genre%],no genre tag present)
?

or maybe,
$if($strcmp(%codec%,VGM),$if2([%genre%],no VGM genre tag present),%genre%)

Reply #58
or maybe,
$if($strcmp(%codec%,VGM),$if2([%genre%],no VGM genre tag present),%genre%)

Haha, yeah, $if($strcmp(%codec%,VGM),'Game',%<genre>%) does what I'd like, although it seems sort of silly to have to have a special case for a codec when the codec doesn't provide a pretty basic piece of information...

Reply #59
I don't think genre shows up as anything but ? if its not included, regardless of format.

Still, it just shows how much you can customize Foobar. There are tons of similar oddities for every format anyway. I have a few XM tunes where the title field is blank - not blank as in empty, but blank as in occupied by 16 or so space characters. Modplug (my former mod player) used to display the filename in these cases, but foobar didnt, so I had to mix in $if($stricmp(%title%,                    ),$upper(%filename_ext%),%title%) to the titleformatting.

I have like, a completely seperate formatting for every format there is. It makes a nice big $if string (about 12k of text only).

Reply #60
I've updated the following:

2009-04-19 04:29 UTC - kode54
- Implemented SPC ID666 and xid6 tag writing. Now snesmusic.org can lay off about the non-standard tag writing.
- Version is now 1.63

(omitted: Effects changes that were reverted because they sucked and/or crashed.)

2009-02-01 07:20 UTC - kode54
- Implemented effects control for applicable formats.
- Version is now 1.6

Minor warning about the GEP Control feature: GEP Control always applies to the most recently started instance of the decoder. So, if you start playback in the middle of a conversion job, the control will only affect the playback. Likewise, if you convert something while playing, the control will apply to the conversion, and when the conversion stops, the control will disable instead of reverting to the playback. I didn't like the idea of the control working for anything but playback, but you asked for it, so you got it.

Reply #61
Thanks, kode54.

Reply #62
GYM playback in foo_gep is noticeably worse than in foo_gym, sometimes even broken. Too bad that foo_gym is not ported to 0.9 foobar. And I'm sure genesis emulators use the same sound engine. What's wrong with foo_gep?
Examples:
1.gym foo_gep_1.mpc foo_gym_1.mpc
2.gym foo_gep_2.mpc foo_gym_2.mpc

Reply #63
Foo_gym does not use the same exact playback core as foo_gep. Foo_gep uses the MAME YM2612 core while foo_gym uses the one from Gens. And while the first file you posted does appear to be a major problem with some assumed startup registers, the latter just seems to be a difference of oversampling. There's not much I can really do other than switch to the Gens core, which has other flaws. Have you tried the VGM rip of that game? I'm surprised more people aren't using the nice VGM rips from Project 2612, which are properly trimmed, looped, and tagged.

Reply #64
Project 2612 is pure win. But what's difference between gym and vgm? foo_gym doesn't support it.

edit 1: Compared with winamp's in_vgm, it's like foo_gep cuts some high frequencies, everything else is ok. Also, would it be possible to have both cores and let user switch? (but I guess if it is not planned, no one needs it anyway)

edit 2: And still, foo_gym is a bit better than in_vgm. Am I too addicted to Gens sound?

Reply #66
edit 1: Compared with winamp's in_vgm, it's like foo_gep cuts some high frequencies, everything else is ok. Also, would it be possible to have both cores and let user switch? (but I guess if it is not planned, no one needs it anyway)

I think it has more to do with the resampler used to downsample the output of the YM2612 emulator. I can try switching, but I don't think it will make much of a difference.

SCC support on foo_gep is really buggy with some MSX Games such as Snatcher.

I can forward this to blargg, although I'm not sure if/when he'll look into it.

Reply #67
I think it has more to do with the resampler used to downsample the output of the YM2612 emulator.

Downsampling is used in foo_gep? Isn't it a bad thing?

Reply #68
I think it has more to do with the resampler used to downsample the output of the YM2612 emulator.

Downsampling is used in foo_gep? Isn't it a bad thing?

You can avoid it for the most part by setting the output frequency to 53267Hz. At least for the way I configure the GYM/VGM players. With the default class instance settings, they will always render the FM at 1.5x the output frequency and downsample. I turn off the fixed oversampling, so they render at 1/144 the chip clock rate, which is the native sample rate of the FM chip. This is required for accurate playback of some sound effects.

Reply #69
No difference with 53267Hz. Also, if I set sample rate over 48k (or bit depth over 16), I get about 20% cpu load in Interrupts process (shitty Creative drivers?)

1 foo_gep in_vgm
2 foo_gep in_vgm
Now I can't truly say what sounds better. foo_gep has more low freq, in_vgm has more high freq.

Reply #70
- Implemented RSN support, requires foo_unpack Archive Reader component.
- Version is now 1.66

- Implemented surround removal into the accurate SPC DSP core. I didn't notice it wasn't implemented until now.
- Implemented cubic interpolation into the accurate SPC DSP core. For anyone that wants it.
- Version is now 1.65

Reply #71
Hey hey, I love GEP, but I have a question.

Is it possible to mass edit fade times with SPC files? A lot of the files at snesmusic.org have too short fades for my taste, I'd like to mass edit a bunch of files to say, 12 seconds. If I select all files and select 'edit length', input the fade and press ok, it seems like it's doing something, but none of the fades change. Not possible?
made of radiation

Reply #72
- Fixed and improved the NSFE and SPC context menu tagging functions.
- Fixed a bug where newly tagged SPC length and fade would not register on the reread file length after a tag edit operation.
- Version is now 1.67

- Enabled equalizer-only effects control over GYM and VGM inputs.
- Version is now 1.666

Basically, the new tag editor allows you to edit only length or fade by leaving the other field blank. Or do nothing by leaving both blank. You can also mass apply length and/or fade to multiple files this way, defaulting to both fields blank and therefore doing nothing.

Regarding the SPC tagging bug, your fade times were probably writing to the files properly, and probably would have played for the correct fade time, but you would have had to force a manual info reload to see the displayed track duration change.

Reply #73
- Fixed and improved the NSFE and SPC context menu tagging functions.
- Fixed a bug where newly tagged SPC length and fade would not register on the reread file length after a tag edit operation.
- Version is now 1.67

- Enabled equalizer-only effects control over GYM and VGM inputs.
- Version is now 1.666

Basically, the new tag editor allows you to edit only length or fade by leaving the other field blank. Or do nothing by leaving both blank. You can also mass apply length and/or fade to multiple files this way, defaulting to both fields blank and therefore doing nothing.

Regarding the SPC tagging bug, your fade times were probably writing to the files properly, and probably would have played for the correct fade time, but you would have had to force a manual info reload to see the displayed track duration change.

No, I did try to manually reload the info through the properties panel, but nothing had changed. I mean, I only changed the fade field when I tried to massedit, and left the other field blank, and if you just now added that functionality, it's no wonder it did not work.

But yes, just tested this new version, and it works splendidly. Thanks!
made of radiation

Reply #74
- Implemented VGM YM2413 support based on MAME's YM2413 emulator.
- Fixed NSFE playlist editor for when user cancels all editor dialogs.
- Implemented missing NSFE playlist loading.
- Version is now 1.68

Boy, it just be raining updates this week.