Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC V0.95 prebeta 5 (Read 36734 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC V0.95 prebeta 5

Reply #25
I have gone through most of my CD collection, with no luck. Not a single recognized album. Damned brazilian pressings...

me too
nothing

not even the original beatles cds

i think if the dll won't be included with the normal eac package and that the option "submit to accuraterip" by default the this won't get any better.

EAC V0.95 prebeta 5

Reply #26
Maybe everyone has Brazillian CD's!

Ruairi
rc55.com - nothing going on

EAC V0.95 prebeta 5

Reply #27
Ok, here is what I did to get the AccurateRip feature working

1. Went to AccurateRip.com
2. Downloaded and ran dMC AccurateRip Function.
3. Downloaded and ran AccurateRip Database
4. Copied accuraterip.dll from C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP to EAC Directory
5. Viewed the AccurateRip Key Disc database
6. Found 5-10 discs that I owned.
7. Inserted a disc into Drive
8. Launched EAC
9. EAC Recognized drive and disc and diplayed offsets.
10. Went to EAC Drive Options Menu -> Offsets, Offsets are greyed out indicating that AccurateRip has determined the offsets for my system.

It took a while to figure all of this out, but we'll see as I go forward.

Later,

EAC V0.95 prebeta 5

Reply #28
That doesn't sound correct. First of all

>7. Inserted a disc into Drive
>8. Launched EAC
>9. EAC Recognized drive and disc and diplayed offsets.

You need to do this _at least_ three times. And I'd be amazed if you could do it with only three tries.

I went through (euro-pressings most likely):

Disc ID: 0014c547-c20af40e  Offspring - Smash
Disc ID: 0027131a-b312820e  Metallica - Load
Disc ID: 00129436-930c070a  Metallica - Kill'em'All
Disc ID: 0016cf72-720f5709  Metallica - ...and Justice for All
Disc ID: 00133744-950c670a  Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine
Disc ID: 001b279a-910d8e0d  Sarah McLachlan - Fumbling Towards Ecstacy
Disc ID: 00117c70-880b300a  Aerosmith - Pump

With no hits.

Hits on three CDs, but with different offsets, of course :-(

Amazing that this database doesn't contain a single album by Paradise Lost or In Flames.

If I could only match one or two CDs I think I could make a difference here...

EAC V0.95 prebeta 5

Reply #29
That doesn't sound correct. First of all

>7. Inserted a disc into Drive
>8. Launched EAC
>9. EAC Recognized drive and disc and diplayed offsets.

You need to do this _at least_ three times. And I'd be amazed if you could do it with only three tries.

If your drive is found in the Accurate Rip Drive Database, you only have to do this once.  If it is not, then you have to do it 3 times.  So the more people that can do this the better, if you manage to get one drive working, and you have other drives, do them too so others don't have to go through as much trouble to get it working

EAC V0.95 prebeta 5

Reply #30
Please check this menu item and see if it is what you are looking for.

Action > TOC Alterations > Retrieve Native TOC

No, it used to be "Detct TOC Manually" and "Use first session only", available up to 0.95pb3.

Cheers

Sergio
Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperior | Sennheiser HD598)

EAC V0.95 prebeta 5

Reply #31
If your drive is found in the Accurate Rip Drive Database, you only have to do this once.  If it is not, then you have to do it 3 times.

Please, would be someone with 3 keydisks be so kind to upload offest info for the good ol' trusted PX-40TS so people like me with only one keydisk be able to configure this pearl of a drive for AccurateRip???

Many thanks in advance.

Sergio
Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperior | Sennheiser HD598)

EAC V0.95 prebeta 5

Reply #32
> you only have to do this once.

Sounds dangerous if you ask me, but ok. I have a FREECOM which is a rebranded "NEC - DVD RW ND-1300A", which is in the list.

I've got three recognized disks, but none match "+48" from the list.

Maybe I should simply flash the NEC firmware...

> [...] be so kind to upload offest info for the good ol' trusted PX-40TS

Aren't there two "completely" different drives which are both called PX-40TS? I seem to remember they split the firmware between them...

I've got both a Ricoh MP7060S and a PX-40TS (both listed), unfortunately they're both in a linux-server so not much help there.

EAC V0.95 prebeta 5

Reply #33
The offset for the PX-40TS should be +676, as listed in Satcp's offset database.  Plus, on my own system, comparing extractions from Plextools, which automatically uses the proper offset, and EAC with a +676 offset, the rips are identical.

EAC V0.95 prebeta 5

Reply #34
The offset for the PX-40TS should be +676, as listed in Satcp's offset database.  Plus, on my own system, comparing extractions from Plextools, which automatically uses the proper offset, and EAC with a +676 offset, the rips are identical.

Yep, I know. I'm using +676 since at least 4 years ago, but the problem is that AccurateRip doesn't trust me. 

As far as I know, AccurateRip doesn't allows one to manually configure the offset as EAC normally allows to. Offsets must be verified using "Keydiscs". If the drive is already "well known" by the AccurateRip database than one disc will suffice, otherwise three are required.

It is also my understanding that AccurateRip key discs (here is the list) are different from "bare EAC" reference CDs (here is the list) used for offset calculation, which is really a pitty IMHO. I'd really love to see the two set of discs to grow and converge into a single set.

Sergio
Sergio

EAC V0.95 prebeta 5

Reply #35
I hope the AccurateRip database will grow soon with this release.
I found 2 discs in my collection that matches the correct offset.
beatles:
white album (disc 2)

Disc 1 from the white album did not match. 

I guess a trip to the library is needed to find 1 more disc...

---

How often is the AccurateRip database updated?
And does it have to be updated manually?
Why is it not using a system like freedb where it looks it up at a server?

EAC V0.95 prebeta 5

Reply #36
I remember Andre mentioning a "surprise" feature along with AccurateRip...I wonder if he meant one of the aforementioned or something totally different that he didn't implement.

EAC V0.95 prebeta 5

Reply #37
How often is the AccurateRip database updated?
And does it have to be updated manually?
Why is it not using a system like freedb where it looks it up at a server?

About once every 3 weeks, for the moment the new database needs to be installed.

"Why is it not using a system like freedb "

It will do the moment I can schedule some freetime to implement it.

EAC V0.95 prebeta 5

Reply #38
Yep, I know. I'm using +676 since at least 4 years ago, but the problem is that AccurateRip doesn't trust me.

Ah, I see.  I've not used AccurateRip, so I wasn't aware of that.  Perhaps the program needs an "I'm an honest and trustworthy person" checkbox.   

I moved recently so my CDs are still packed up, but I'll see if I can dig them up in the near future and hopefully add to the AccurateRip drive database.

EAC V0.95 prebeta 5

Reply #39
Ok, here is what I did to get the AccurateRip feature working

1. Went to AccurateRip.com
2. Downloaded and ran dMC AccurateRip Function.
3. Downloaded and ran AccurateRip Database
4. Copied accuraterip.dll from C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP to EAC Directory
5. Viewed the AccurateRip Key Disc database
6. Found 5-10 discs that I owned.
7. Inserted a disc into Drive
8. Launched EAC
9. EAC Recognized drive and disc and diplayed offsets.
10. Went to EAC Drive Options Menu -> Offsets, Offsets are greyed out indicating that AccurateRip has determined the offsets for my system.

It took a while to figure all of this out, but we'll see as I go forward.

Later,

That's EXACTLY how it works.  EAC + AccurateRip use the database of already checked key CDs to determine the offset.  I downloaded the new version of EAC, installed it; downloaded AccurateRip and copied the .dll to the EAC directory; downladed and installed the AccurateRip dbase to the EAC directory.  Fired up EAC, popped in my Disturbed - Believe CD (it's on the checked key list) and wham, it set my offset for me.  Done.  That took maybe 4 minutes total from start to finish.

Have you ever used EAC to create an Offset CD? When you create that CD it's used for (duh) detecting the offset of a drive.  When you use a checked key CD the apparent offset is already known so it's basically a snap to test your drive for it.  That's the beauty of EAC + AccurateRip.

The concept is simply awesome, but again as I often do, I begin to wonder: Just how much trouble should we really go through to get CD quality encodings if we already own the CD?  There has to be a point of diminishing returns and effort just to have some music to go, doesn't there?  I mean really, how good does the ripping and encoding have to be? When is *good enough* really *good enough*?

br0adband
The difference between genius and stupidity?

Genius has limits.

EAC V0.95 prebeta 5

Reply #40
I don't know if this is a bug or a feature, but make sure you have "Show status dialog after extraction" checked, or the AccurateRip will not work.
WARNING:  Changing of advanced parameters might degrade sound quality.  Modify them only if you are expirienced in audio compression!

EAC V0.95 prebeta 5

Reply #41
If it works for you, please fill up the database with slayer, suicidal tendencies, anthrax and cradle of filth  .
Hard to find matching discs in my collection and only one is really recongnized by accurate rip (yet).

EAC V0.95 prebeta 5

Reply #42
What is the licensing details for the AccurateRip database?  Will the data collection remain free & open?

I remember how the original cddb was eagerly updated by gazillions of users, and then all of a sudden it became 'closed' and commercial, and freeDB began.

Although I only have 1 key cd that matches the database now, if I do end up collecting 3 key cd's and can use it, I wont mind going through the rest of my cd's and submitting their results.  But ONLY if the data is going to be free and remain free for ever.

If that can't be guaranteed "in writing", then we might as well delete AccurateRip off our drives right now.

EAC V0.95 prebeta 5

Reply #43
If I remember correctly, it was guaranteed to stay free.
WARNING:  Changing of advanced parameters might degrade sound quality.  Modify them only if you are expirienced in audio compression!

EAC V0.95 prebeta 5

Reply #44
If I remember correctly, it was guaranteed to stay free.

Well, CDDB is free. Free if your program is freeware and if you display their logo while obtaining the CD information.

EAC V0.95 prebeta 5

Reply #45
Database has been updated, lots more drives so if your drive is now in the list and you have 1 key disc it will configure.

EAC V0.95 prebeta 5

Reply #46
Database has been updated, lots more drives so if your drive is now in the list and you have 1 key disc it will configure.

Still just the one cd that matches.

And although my cd drive is in the list (ltr-40125s) it still wants extra key disks.

I guess it's because mine is giving different results.  On the key cd that I have, EAC+AR says +12 samples is in the database, but my drive is giving +877 samples +3508 bytes.

I tried it in my dvd drive (jlms - xj-hd166s) and it gives the identical values.

However, even if I had all three key cd's, before I donate any info, I'd still want to know who *owns* the data.  Is it totally open, or is it controlled but free (for now), or what.

CDDB allows free access for free programs if you use their stuff, but they make it very clear that they own & control the data.  A lot of people got very upset about that, which is why freedb exists now.

The AccurateRip database certainly isn't as important, but I still think it'd be better to clarify that now, so there can't be any misunderstanding later.

EAC V0.95 prebeta 5

Reply #47
What is the licensing details for the AccurateRip database?

At the AccurateRip site I found the follwing statement:

AccurateRip will be opened up for anyone and everyone**, the benefit of such a system should not be limited to one program. Once the specification is tied down it will be released as easy(ish) plug-in for other software developers

The ** points to a very particular exception.

To me that means that the AccurateRip "solution", that is design, specification and implementation will be opened (and free) to all (except the one exception) developers.

Anyway a reassuring and authoritative word from AccurateRip developers will be heartly welcome.

Sergio

Edit: UPDATE! Look at this thread in the AccurateRip forum (found 30 seconds after posting this message, holy crap!). It definitly seems to be free and to remain free.
Sergio

EAC V0.95 prebeta 5

Reply #48
To me that means that the AccurateRip "solution", that is design, specification and implementation will be opened (and free) to all (except the one exception) developers.

The problem is that statement can be easily changed. Similar to the situation when lots of Linux nerds started crying when Thompson removed their statement at mp3licensing.com that free decoder implementations didn't need to pay royalties. (that lead to several distros removing mp3 decoders, even though Thomson never even sent cease-and-desist letters to anyone)

The detail guaranteeing freedb's openness is that everything submitted to their site is automatically GPLd.

The very AccurateRip plugin is distributed in binary form only. That's enough to raise suspicion about it's future and if it'll remain free.

Even though the statements you quoted here are reassuring of the developer's intentions, they don't guarantee that something like "a big corporation buys the service from them and close everything" (that's exactly what happened to cddb) won't happen.

EAC V0.95 prebeta 5

Reply #49

The detail guaranteeing freedb's openness is that everything submitted to their site is automatically GPLd.

I totally agree with you. It would be really reassuring to see the same done with AccurateRip.

Err....  should this become a new thread??

Sergio
Sergio