Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: best way to tell difference between lossless and mp3 (Read 7958 times) previous topic - next topic

best way to tell difference between lossless and mp3

I have a rock song

"last dinosaur" by the pillows

I have this track, in mp3 192kbps and in flac 1078kbps.  It is very difficult for me to hear a difference.  I should have a certain EQ on or something?  Do I need pick a different genre to compare?  I know that there has to be a difference, but I cannot hear it.  I hope that someone is familiar with the song because, that might help as well.

edit:  I am comparing the two files through some Koss Portapros

edit2: also is there some song that there is an obvious difference between lossless[flac] and lossy mp3?  I am just very anxious to hear a distinct difference.  Recommendations are welcome

Reply #1
I'd go for ambient or classical

Reply #2
If it's an mp3 made by a modern encorder, it should be difficult or impossible to tell the difference.

Reply #3
to hear the difference, you need training and killer samples.

also if you can't hear the difference, why would you want to? to buy more hd storage space?

Reply #4
I have this track, in mp3 192kbps and in flac 1078kbps.  ... I know that there has to be a difference, but I cannot hear it.

mp3 @ 192 kbps is very good, so why do you want to hear a difference?
A significant difference to the original is audible only in special cases, so I'd be just happy not to have to care about these.
If you are just curious about genres where mp3 isn't real good even at 192 kbps or higher you might want to listen to harpsichord music. Even then don't expect ugly results every minute.
lame3995o -Q1.7 --lowpass 17

Reply #5
search ABX and do some proper testing.

extremely compressed (metal), extremely dynamic (classical) & synthesized music seem to be hardest on MP3/LAME

later

Reply #6
What I notice when I compare mp3 to a lossless file, is that the mp3 usually sounds like it's trapped inside something. The flac file (or whatever lossless file you have) usually sounds more open and more life like. You aren't going to notice that a bass line was taken out or your favorite trumpet solo now sounds like a kazoo...

If you know what to listen for you can usually hear it, if not, it's really hard to tell a difference. Also if you don't have some good equipment, it's even harder to tell.

Reply #7
If you haven't already I think you should perform some blind testing.  The differences you're talking about don't fit the description of tyical artifacts; they better fit the description of placebo effect.

Reply #8
If you haven't already I think you should perform some blind testing.  The differences you're talking about don't fit the description of tyical artifacts; they better fit the description of placebo effect.

thx I will try that out.

Reply #9

thx I will try that out.

I think he was talking to gordolindsay.  But ABX is always a good advice.
Nothing is impossible if you don't need to do it yourself.