Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Help for this distortion (Read 5459 times) previous topic - next topic

Help for this distortion

I'm a newbie and ask here if somebody can help. I have recorded the attached clip from a pianola (line-out jack) to a pc. But I don't know why I have this distortion. I think that this is not a level problem. Is it possible to remove or repair? How? And for the future: how I can avoid this?
Thank you!

Help for this distortion

Reply #1
I'm a newbie and ask here if somebody can help. I have recorded the attached clip from a pianola (line-out jack) to a pc. But I don't know why I have this distortion. I think that this is not a level problem. Is it possible to remove or repair? How? And for the future: how I can avoid this?
Thank you!

A problem is I don't know what it's _supposed_ to sound like. I hear what sounds like frequency response shifting as the level goes down similar to analog Dolby playback processing of a non Dolby encoded source. There may be some frequency response changes but again, I don't know what it's _supposed_ to be.

When I go look up 'pianola' I find "A player piano (also known as pianola or autopiano) is a self-playing piano, containing a pneumatic or electro-mechanical mechanism that operates the piano action via pre-programmed music perforated paper,...." based on a real piano which has no 'line out' jacks. So, what exactly are you doing?

Help for this distortion

Reply #2
Sorry! I use a digital piano (a Yamaha Clavinova) and record the sound from line-out to pc line-in. I use Audacity for record. But sometime I have the recorded sound that sounds like if there was a clipping (like in the attached clip), but the signal is not so high... I must set the record level in audacity to something very low.

Help for this distortion

Reply #3
IMO the attached file doesn't sound like clipped.

Help for this distortion

Reply #4
On first playback I thought I heard a very brief problem on one of the very first notes only, a "tick", but then when I hit replay it was fine. [I used VLC as my media player. I think it needed to warm up.  ]

You can clearly hear that this isn't a real piano, it is an electric one, but other than that I don't hear a problem. [Also the tune itself sounds a little odd at 6 seconds in terms of the notes selected, but I don't know the piece.]

Help for this distortion

Reply #5
IMO the attached file doesn't sound like clipped.

Second time listening I captured with Audition. The reason you hear no clipping is because there isn't any at all. I don't know if his record level is best but it certainly isn't overloading.

Help for this distortion

Reply #6
So, at this point I think that it must be a problem of my hw (pc audio, ampli, spekers). I must research more...

Help for this distortion

Reply #7
So, at this point I think that it must be a problem of my hw (pc audio, ampli, spekers). I must research more...

If your PC works like mine, you should be able to record a signal that on playback is indistinguishable from the original. This assumes you have high enough levels to be away from the noise floor but not drive into clipping. I use Audition but I hear many good things about Audacity. BTW none of my gear needs to 'warm up' before it's ready to behave properly. The PC is ready as son as it boots.

Help for this distortion

Reply #8
I've got no distortion either, so it must be on your end. But I just wanted to say I like it and so does my girlfriend!