Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: iPod manager (Read 2214558 times) previous topic - next topic

[seemingly abandonware] iPod manager

Reply #3850
Bump!
Please , can someone point me out to a place where I can download the IphoneCalc library? I want to use foobar as my ipod manager but with the link of download offline I cant.

Thanks,
Frãncio

Reply #3851
Hey guys. I have an embarrassing question: is there a way to add a song to an existing playlist (or change its position)? I use iPod Shuffle so I can't really do it from the player and I can't find how to modify contents in any way other then deleting or uploading.

Reply #3853
I have an iPhone 4s with 6.1.3 and I am using the latest versions of both iPodManager and Foobar2000...I got the iPhoneCalc.dll from the media monkey link. My old gen 2 nano is working fine, but foobar refuses to recognize my iphone. In the console, it says "iPod manager: Error: AMDeviceNotificationSubscribe returned E8000063".

I would like to know how to fix this as I would prefer not going back to iTunes...

iPhone OS: 6.1.3 (10B329)
Windows OS: Windows 8 Pro
Foobar version: Full installation v1.2.9
iPod manager version: 0.6.9.7
iPhoneCalc.dll from here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic...f=7&t=66878

Apple Application Support v1.5.1
Apple Mobile Device Support v3.4.0.25
iTunes is not installed on my machine

Thanks for any help you all are able to provide! 

Reply #3854
I have an iPhone 4s with 6.1.3 and I am using the latest versions of both iPodManager and Foobar2000...I got the iPhoneCalc.dll from the media monkey link. My old gen 2 nano is working fine, but foobar refuses to recognize my iphone. In the console, it says "iPod manager: Error: AMDeviceNotificationSubscribe returned E8000063".

I would like to know how to fix this as I would prefer not going back to iTunes...

iPhone OS: 6.1.3 (10B329)
Windows OS: Windows 8 Pro
Foobar version: Full installation v1.2.9
iPod manager version: 0.6.9.7
iPhoneCalc.dll from here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic...f=7&t=66878

Apple Application Support v1.5.1
Apple Mobile Device Support v3.4.0.25
iTunes is not installed on my machine

Thanks for any help you all are able to provide! 

I don't know about the error, but please realize that as reported in post #3806 you still need iTunes to have music show up on your iPhone even if you can get fb2k to transfer it.

Reply #3855
Is there a way to add my ipod library to columns ui filter? I can't view my ipod by artists then albums like my library. Clicking ipod view just shows it in elplaylist/graphical browser as the albums. i want to be able to see the artist then albums.

Reply #3857
Okay I added my music folder from the ipod in disk mode to foobars media library. then i added an ipod tag to all the music on the ipod and then i used ipod IS True as a filter. this works perfectly but it doesn't work for ipod touch since u can't add the songs from the ipod touch as it cant be put in disk mode

Reply #3858
So I just got foobar to finally recognize my iphone 4.  But when I upload the music to it the iphone doesn't seem to recognize it.  It's not in my Music folder and I can't figure out where on the phone it actually is.  But if I have foobar call the media from the iphone, it finds all of the music I just put on.  Itunes recognizes the music as 'Other' (I am forced to using it until I can get this issue figured out). 

Does anyone have an idea of what could be happening?

Reply #3859
So I just got foobar to finally recognize my iphone 4.  But when I upload the music to it the iphone doesn't seem to recognize it.  It's not in my Music folder and I can't figure out where on the phone it actually is.  But if I have foobar call the media from the iphone, it finds all of the music I just put on.  Itunes recognizes the music as 'Other' (I am forced to using it until I can get this issue figured out). 

Does anyone have an idea of what could be happening?

I have the same problem. foobar can call the media back up but the ipod doesnt appear to recognize it at all. I dont know what the reason behind this is, whether its an issue with foobar or ipod or the firmware but im going to assume its to do with firmware.

I am running IOS 7 if that helps at all

Reply #3860
The website says it doesn't even support iOS 5, how can you guys pretend it will work with iOS 7?

Use CopyTrans if you don't like iTunes.

Reply #3861
The website says it doesn't even support iOS 5, how can you guys pretend it will work with iOS 7?

Use CopyTrans if you don't like iTunes.

CopyTrans wont convert FLAC files on the fly, thats why.

and it does support IOS 5 and 6, if you read a few posts back, people have had no problems with it on 5 and 6.

Reply #3862
I have nearly full functionality in iOS 7. You just have to 'find' the library by playing something from the library through itunes while it's tethered. Then just restart the phone and things should be recognized. I have experienced no other issues.

iTunes is terribly optimized and it can't handle large music libraries. The problem is made worse with a big display. It tries to cache thousands of images. sillyness.

Reply #3863
I have nearly full functionality in iOS 7. You just have to 'find' the library by playing something from the library through itunes while it's tethered. Then just restart the phone and things should be recognized. I have experienced no other issues.

iTunes is terribly optimized and it can't handle large music libraries. The problem is made worse with a big display. It tries to cache thousands of images. sillyness.

but i dont want itunes... so putting music onto my ipod through foobar, having to play the song through itunes and then rebooting my phone doesnt make a lot of sense.

why wouldnt i not use itunes to move the music at that point?
Also, that doesnt work for me 

Reply #3864
I'd like to develop a component similar to this one, but working properly with the latest IOS. I can figure out how the foobar2000 SDK works, but I have no idea how to interact with iTunes and/or iOS devices to put music on the device. It seems the iPhoneCalc library is used to do all this, but I cannot find any documentation on it at all. Does anyone have any information about the iPhoneCalc library, or information on how to put music on an iOS device programmatically?

Reply #3865
Hi all

I'm only just starting to get to grips with all this stuff...... 

I'll soon be ripping a large music collection for use with an iPod Classic 160gb.  If possible I would prefer not to embed album art, so that I can save space.  I've read in a couple of places that foo_dop is capable of transferring the folder.jpg to an ipod without embedding it to the mp3.

1.  Please could someone confirm whether this is the case.

2.  If it is, could someone please explain HOW it works, and how much storage it takes in this method compared to embedding? 

3.  Are there downsides to doing it this way?

Many thanks

Max

Reply #3866
It used to be, but I'm not sure it still works: this component is no longer developed, unfortunately, so it probably has compatibility issues with recent hardware/firmware versions.
could someone please explain HOW it works
From memory, you define the pattern where your album art resides and the component retrieves it when transferring and stores it into an iPod repository (resizing as appropriate, IIRC).
and how much storage it takes in this method compared to embedding?
No idea, but I doubt it makes a big difference. Also, I don't know if iDevices actually use the embedded art (I don't embed) or simply fetch it and then store it in the above mentioned repository.
IF your iPod can use the embedded image and you want to use foo_dop, you might have better luck embedding.

As a side note, are you ripping to lossless? This component can convert to lossy on the fly when transferring to iPod (again, it used to work this way: haven't tried recently), not sure about iTunes or other software.

HTH.

Alessandro

Reply #3867
Yes it does work with folder.jpg. i have no embedded art and all the Folder.jpg are picked up and scaled down correctly for the ipod

2.  If it is, could someone please explain HOW it works, and how much storage it takes in this method compared to embedding?
I think all the art work gets put in to a few files with a .ithmb ext in the iPod_Control\Artwork folder and links them to the files some how. i have about 10,000 songs on my ipod and these .ithmb files total to 180MB

I've seen no downsides doing it this way

Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #3868
It used to be, but I'm not sure it still works: this component is no longer developed, unfortunately, so it probably has compatibility issues with recent hardware/firmware versions.

If anyone reading has a modern iPod Classic and is able to confirm either way, that would be most helpful. 

From memory, you define the pattern where your album art resides and the component retrieves it when transferring and stores it into an iPod repository (resizing as appropriate, IIRC).

I think I get it.  Someone else on another forum said "Non-embedded album art is added to the iPod's database file, it is then associated with certain files. This will save you space if you sync a lot of albums to your iPod. For example, you have one image that is 1MB in size. You sync 9 songs from an album, that uses that image, to your iPod. That means that the iPod's database will increase by 1MB as the album art is attached. It saves space compared to embedding the art as the iPod's space decreases by only 1MB instead of 9MB (i.e. 1MB per file, 9MB total for 9 songs)."

Don't know if foobar is doing the same or something similar.

I doubt it makes a big difference [to size]. Also, I don't know if iDevices actually use the embedded art (I don't embed) or simply fetch it and then store it in the above mentioned repository.

I think it might make a small but significant-ish difference.  I calculated roughly that embedded art on a full 160gb iPod woud total around 1GB.  Doing it with just folder.jpg should be around a tenth of that I think.  So that could save 900MB.  Not huge, but might be worth having. 

Whether iThings do or don't use embedded art, I guess the bottom line is that if you embed your file sizes are large.  That's the significant factor in my case anyhow. 

As a side note, are you ripping to lossless? This component can convert to lossy on the fly when transferring to iPod (again, it used to work this way: haven't tried recently), not sure about iTunes or other software.

I'll be ripping to both (FLAC and mp3) but will be using dbPowermap for that. 

Yes it does work with folder.jpg. i have no embedded art and all the Folder.jpg are picked up and scaled down correctly for the ipod

I've seen no downsides doing it this way

Fantastic news!  Which model/generation iPod do you have? 

I think all the art work gets put in to a few files with a .ithmb ext in the iPod_Control\Artwork folder and links them to the files some how. i have about 10,000 songs on my ipod and these .ithmb files total to 180MB

Sounds like that must be the database that has been mentioned elsewhere.  The size makes sense too.  Presumably some of your artwork is larger (seeing as you say it gets scaled down) that the necessary 320x320?

From a man to two ducks >>>  thank you both so much for the help.  Much appreciated. 

Max (Massimo)

Reply #3869
foo_dop does do the conversion from FLAC to MP3\AAC\ALAC on the fly. It works extremely well using 1 conversion per core. There is no real point to having a lossless and lossy library if it's just for the iPod.

I have a 6th gen 160GB iPod Classic. 6 years old and still going strong

About 95% of my album art is 1000x1000

Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #3870
Thank you.

The FLAC files will be for use on my PC (which is my main playback device).  I'll be getting rid of CDs altogether. 

Would be good to hear whether the same is true with a 7th Gen iPod and that foo_dop works with the more modern hardware/firmware versions.

Cheers

Reply #3871
I have an iPhone4 6GB (a couple of years old, more or less) firmware 5.1.1.

I wasn't able to transfer albumart, while I had zero problems with my previous iPhone (don't remember the exact model). To be honest, I didn't try too hard because it's no big deal for me, so YMMV.

I suggest you do a quick test with a single song... and let us know how it works.

Cheers.

Alessandro

Reply #3872
Hello everyone.

I recently installed the RockBox software onto my 5.5 Gen Ipod video. When the software (Rockbox) is running on my ipod I am unable to add or delete files in foobar. When I attempt this, I recieve the error message

"Failed to query device properties. Write operations are disabled."

I have found some other suggestions to fix this problem through google (such as updating my computer with drivers stored in the itunes installer) but I have not had any luck.

Does anyone know how to fix this error?

Thank you for your help everyone.

Reply #3873
Hi all

I know the "Apple Mobile Device Support" is needed for foo_dop to work with an iPod Classic.  I've found a few options to get this on a system without having to install iTunes.

Most of these methods also say that "QuickTime.msi" needs to be installed as well.  Is this the case with foo_dop?  Or is AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi the only thing needed?

Cheers

Max

Reply #3874
How can I sync wav with cue to my ipod? it always show "files with chapters are not currently supported by foo_dop"
but my others ape/flac with cue can convert fine