Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Close a program with Scheduler? (Read 1828 times) previous topic - next topic

Close a program with Scheduler?

Can I make the Scheduler close a program, e.g. Thunderbird at a special time?
Win 7, Win Vista, newest stable foobar & EAC & Cue-Tools

Reply #1
Using the "Launch application" action, which is basically running a system command prompt, you have some options.

Ideally, if the program has available a command line switch to close it, then you can just "launch" the program EXE with the termination switch (e.g. "Program.exe -exit"). But most programs do not have such a command.

Alternatively, since "Launch application" is a command line process, you can enter a command to kill the system process. BUT this is usually not a good idea because it is not a clean shutdown. It is basically like the program has crashed, with all the consequences thereof. So for example, you could launch "TASKKILL /f /im thunderbird.exe /t" - which will forcefully close Thunderbird ...but you probably will not like the result.

Better than killing the process would be to find a third-party tool which you could launch to cleanly close the program.

Reply #2
Many thanks, trout,

I wouldn't have the idea, that using the "Launch application" you can shut down a program.

Ideally, if the program has available a command line switch to close it, then you can just "launch" the program EXE with the termination switch (e.g. "Program.exe -exit"). But most programs do not have such a command.

I have just tried, that doesn't work. I have added this line: "I:\Thunderbird\App\Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe  -exit" in "Launch application".

Alternatively, since "Launch application" is a command line process, you can enter a command to kill the system process. BUT this is usually not a good idea because it is not a clean shutdown. It is basically like the program has crashed, with all the consequences thereof. So for example, you could launch "TASKKILL /f /im thunderbird.exe /t" - which will forcefully close Thunderbird ...but you probably will not like the result.

Yes, indeed, that doesn't seem to be the best choice.

Better than killing the process would be to find a third-party tool which you could launch to cleanly close the program.

Okay, I will try to find one.

Many thanks again.
Win 7, Win Vista, newest stable foobar & EAC & Cue-Tools