Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
why does my .amr recording sound stretched, robotic, low pitched
varunsolanki
post Aug 10 2013, 20:40
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 109560

i have searched everywhere on the internet but not able to identify anyone else having this problem. i have recorded a conversation from my samsung mobile but when i try to playback the .amr file, the recording sounds stretched, very low pitched, robotic manly voice.

i can share the audio file if someone can diagnose the problem and fix it. it is very very important for me because i am going to be recording very important conversations using my phone.

please, please help me out.

thanks.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dynamic
post Aug 10 2013, 22:47
Post #2

Member No.: 35307

If it's an Android phone, and the future conversations are important, you might prefer something like the AndRecorder app, which can record in PCM audio (uncompressed) for later conversion if you wish (into MP3, Vorbis, AAC, Opus or whatever) or lossless storage (e.g. FLAC). It will operate at 11025, 22050 or 44100 Hz sampling rates in mono on my ancient phone and I use it for recording song ideas from time to time (AMR is not good for musical content). I found that 22050 was more than adequate for high quality conversations. The uncompressed bitrate for mono at 22050Hz, 16-bit is 352.8kbps (159 MB per hour). Double or halve that for 44.1 or 11.025 kHz respectively.

I have been able to play back AMR content in Audacity (imported using FFMPEG libraries), usually from my Android 3GP videos, but I think I was also able to import AMR from Voice Recorder also, but I just tend not to record using Voice Recorder since installing AndRecorder.
+Quote Post
db1989
post Aug 11 2013, 01:40
Post #3

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 32180

Much more simply, the problem is probably that you are playing it back at a sampling rate lower than the one at which it was recorded, hence it being slowed down. Does your phone allow you to choose the sampling rate when recording? Which player are you using? Does it allow you to choose the sampling rate for playback? Have you tried any other player(s)?
+Quote Post
Dynamic
post Aug 11 2013, 14:05
Post #4

Member No.: 35307

That's a good point. It might be an AMR wideband (16kHz) recording being played back as if it's narrowband (8kHz)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 12:33