Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Nero Releases FREE Reference Quality MPEG-4 Audio Encoder (Read 465656 times) previous topic - next topic

Nero Releases FREE Reference Quality MPEG-4 Audio Encoder

Reply #425

New Version (1.0.0.2) is out, get it from:
http://www.nero.com/nerodigital/eng/down-ndaudio.php

I'm just encoded file with new neroaacenc... neroaacenc.exe -q 0.425 -lc -if xxx.wav -of xxx.m4a
CoolEdit recognized xxx.m4a as a AAC-HE and it's sounded like a average AAC-HE...
I'm think it is a side effect of "Backwards compatible signalling of SBR and PS Audio Object Types
(also when LC is used for encoding) for improved 3GPP Compatibility"
... but why it's affect the playback quality of winamp/cooledit?

...and I've just discovered that the new version produces .m4a that my Shuffle won't play, whereas previous version with the same settings did. This evening I'll try experimenting with the command line switches and tagging to see if it makes a difference. Can anyone else with a Shuffle verify this? I tried various -q and used the recommended command line settings for foobart2000.

Reply #426
...and I've just discovered that the new version produces .m4a that my Shuffle won't play, whereas previous version with the same settings did. This evening I'll try experimenting with the command line switches and tagging to see if it makes a difference. Can anyone else with a Shuffle verify this? I tried various -q and used the recommended command line settings for foobart2000.

will check it ASAP, but first try running mp4creator -optimize *. m4a (get it at rarewares.org). the shuffle won't read files which have the tag data at the end.

Which version of foobar did you use to produce your files? foobar2000 0.9 does tagging when converting but it attaches them to the end

Marcin

Reply #427

will check it ASAP, but first try running mp4creator -optimize *. m4a (get it at rarewares.org). the shuffle won't read files which have the tag data at the end.

Which version of foobar did you use to produce your files? foobar2000 0.9 does tagging when converting but it attaches them to the end

Marcin

I'll try it this evening. I'm using 0.9.1, which is what worked with the previous version of the nero encoder. (I should just mention that iTunes displays and plays the files fine.) I'll also try encoding without foobar, to see if it is causing the problem.

I'm keen to get this working, because the Nero encoder sounds excellent to my ears.

Reply #428
I've never seen such a brilliant progress display before

Anyway, I like the codec, the results have surprising quality and, imporatnt to me: Searching is extremely fast.

Reply #429
I'm just encoded file with new neroaacenc... neroaacenc.exe -q 0.425 -lc -if xxx.wav -of xxx.m4a
CoolEdit recognized xxx.m4a as a AAC-HE and it's sounded like a average AAC-HE...
I'm think it is a side effect of "Backwards compatible signalling of SBR and PS Audio Object Types
(also when LC is used for encoding) for improved 3GPP Compatibility"
... but why it's affect the playback quality of winamp/cooledit?

Old FAAD2 just reads that info incorrectly, nothing to worry about, the file is LC

Reply #430

Marcin

Marcin, you're brilliant!  mp4creator -optimize did the trick. I'll go that route.  Out of interest, I noticed that with the "unoptimized" files, that the Shuffle would finally play each one after a pause of several minutes. Not sure why the shuffle needs to read the tags, since it has no where to display the info.

Reply #431

My Settings in EAC for encoding and tagging with nero are:
user- defined encoder, file ending .m4a
Program used:
Code: [Select]
C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe

additional commands:
/c C:\path\to\neroaacenc.exe -q 0.425 -if %s -of %d && C:\pat\to\Neroaactag.exe %d -meta:artist="%a" -meta:album="%g" -meta:track="%n" -meta:title="%t" -meta:genre="%m" -meta:year="%y"

You might want to change the paths according to your personal preference

thx, i'll give it a shot

this isn't working for me, i get a message saying that the external compressor returned an error.  any ideas on why this might be?

Reply #432
this isn't working for me, i get a message saying that the external compressor returned an error.  any ideas on why this might be?

Are you typing yuor paths correctly?, if your paths to the encoder and tagger have spaces (like having C:\Exact Audio Copy\neroaacenc.exe), you need to put the whole path in quotes.
we was young an' full of beans

Reply #433

Are you typing yuor paths correctly?, if your paths to the encoder and tagger have spaces (like having C:\Exact Audio Copy\neroaacenc.exe), you need to put the whole path in quotes.

there we go, that was the issue.  thanks so much

Reply #434
Old FAAD2 just reads that info incorrectly, nothing to worry about, the file is LC

Not just info, faad decoded & new neroaacdec decoded raw pcms differs by values... That values can't be described as a round errors... and this difference audible for me (at least @ -q 0.5), MP4 created by neroaacenc v1.0 and decoded by old&new neroaacdec and faad tied within acceptable round errors... I don't understand why bring this.. "signalling" thing for AAC-LC... iTunes properly encoded & decoded AAC-LC, mono as a mono, stereo as stereo without any "signalling". Why not use more compatible way for this like a Apple did?

Reply #435
help... I'm trying to convert WMA -> WAV -> AAC by piping ffmpeg -> nero's CLI encoder...

I tried with nerodigital 1.0.0.2, and here's my result.:
C:\ffmpeg>ffmpeg -i INPUT.wma -acodec pcm_s16le -f wav - | neroaacenc_sse2 -q 0.
28 -ignorelength -if - -of output.mp4

FFmpeg version CVS, Copyright (c) 2000-2004 Fabrice Bellard
  configuration:  --enable-theora --enable-mp3lame --enable-libogg --enable-vorb
is --enable-faad --enable-faac --enable-xvid --enable-x264 --enable-mingw32 --en
able-a52 --enable-dts --enable-pp --enable-gpl --enable-memalign-hack --enable-a
mr_nb --enable-amr_wb
  libavutil version: 49.0.0
  libavcodec version: 51.1.0
  libavformat version: 50.0.0
  built on Jan 29 2006 03:34:22, gcc: 4.0.2
Input #0, asf, from 'INPUT.wma':
*  Nero Digital Audio Reference MPEG-4 & 3GPP Audio Encoder *
*  Copyright (C) 2006 Nero AG                               *
  Duration: 00:41:10.4, start: 0.608000, bitrate: 20 kb/s
  Stream #0.0: Audio: wmav2, 22050 Hz, mono, 20 kb/s
Output #0, wav, to 'pipe:':
  Stream #0.0: Audio: pcm_s16le, 22050 Hz, mono, 352 kb/s
Stream mapping:
  Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
*  All Rights Reserved Worldwide                            *
*  Package build date: May  1 2006                          *
*  See -help for a complete list of available parameters.   *
[color=red]ERROR: could not parse WAV file[/color]
size=  106376kB time=2470.0 bitrate= 352.8kbits/s
video:0kB audio:106376kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead 0.000040%

Problem with piping?  'cause I tried:
> ffmpeg -i input.wma -f wav temp
> neroaacenc_sse2 -q 0.28 -ignorelength -if temp -of output.mp4

and it works... Nero's problem or XP's piping problem?

Thank you.

Reply #436
Sweet! This was worth the wait. I've got it working except how do I set the iTunes compilation filed to true or false? I tried -meta-user:compilation="true" or ="false" but that did not work. Any ideas? Thanks!

Reply #437
-meta-user:itunescompilation=1

Reply #439
Out of interest, I noticed that with the "unoptimized" files, that the Shuffle would finally play each one after a pause of several minutes. Not sure why the shuffle needs to read the tags, since it has no where to display the info.

It does not, the big ipod also does not read tags, everything is stored in db files, but The shuffle knows which track it is playing - you can sync it with last.fm via amarok (i do it that way). If you are using iTunes there is also a problem with streaming back-tagged m4a files. When you are on windows use tag&rename to tag your files it's the only one working for me. On linux no solution (exept tagging and optimizing)

btw. does anyone know a method to optimize so it does not change its creation time (mp4creator does it through a temp file) i need it because amarok rea-dds optimized files to your collection.

Reply #440

-meta-user:itunescompilation=1

Thanks! And 0 for if it is not one?

If it's no compilation then the field should not be used at all or removed, but maybe setting it to zero has the same effect.

It does not, the big ipod also does not read tags, everything is stored in db files, but The shuffle knows which track it is playing - you can sync it with last.fm via amarok (i do it that way). If you are using iTunes there is also a problem with streaming back-tagged m4a files. When you are on windows use tag&rename to tag your files it's the only one working for me. On linux no solution (exept tagging and optimizing)

btw. does anyone know a method to optimize so it does not change its creation time (mp4creator does it through a temp file) i need it because amarok rea-dds optimized files to your collection.

Mp3tag v2.36 now also puts the atoms at the beginning and it also has the optimize feature.
It should also keep the creation time.

Reply #441
The chapters support is just wonderfull.

but as someone mentioned. it would be nice to be able to rip into on .wav and then refer to the cue sheet for th chapter info.

wouldn't that also be more precise regarding where to put the chapters points ?

How does chapter support work in winamp ?
Sven Bent - Denmark

Reply #443
Is it possible to write into .3gp with this encoder?

Reply #445
is there a way to make it use more cpu pwoer to improve quality.

psytell encoder once had such a switch  believe it was -production

beacuse wit the speed it as nowm i would gladly pay up to 50% more encoding time for a "5-10% more quality"

Also SMP support ?
Sven Bent - Denmark

Reply #446
beacuse wit the speed it as nowm i would gladly pay up to 50% more encoding time for a "5-10% more quality"

Don't even mention that antique. ;-)

It's not easy to trade CPU power for better encoding. The only thing off the top of my head is using better, slower quantizer and having a variety of them, like LAME.
Anything else is just tuning and won't use more CPU.
ruxvilti'a

Reply #447

Also SMP support ?

Use a higher setting, and ABX.
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #448
why is PNS non activated still?

Reply #449
Given a file encoded with the Nero encoder, is it possible to find out which version of the encoder was used to encode it ?