Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to grab DVD-Audio? (Read 731202 times) previous topic - next topic

How to grab DVD-Audio?

Reply #300
Quicktip: To fix the channel order after you rip them with the program use Wavewizard.

And MrMayhem thats pretty interesting, I had no idea there was anything out there that could play MLPs besides the Surcode tool.

How to grab DVD-Audio?

Reply #301
And MrMayhem thats pretty interesting, I had no idea there was anything out there that could play MLPs besides the Surcode tool.

Yep, its pretty interesting. I just wanna be sure that when I play the MLPs, it still 24/192, even though I dont use the DVD-Audio player. I'll try to use RIAA and see what I come up with.

How to grab DVD-Audio?

Reply #302
Does anyone know if the tools Maxima wrote work on LPCM (non-MLP) tracks?

How to grab DVD-Audio?

Reply #303
I second that. I successfully ripped Buena Vista Social Club & John Coltrane - Blue Trane, the former 24/96 & the later 24/192 and compressed both of them using wavpack -hm.

It goes like this:
For an encrypted disk, (uncrypted start from step 3)

1) dvdaripper+WinDVD6->unecrypted AOBs/VOBs
2) UltraISO to create a non-ecrypted DVD-Audio Image (ISO)
3) ppcmripper+WinDVD6 -> wavs (use windvd to select surround or stereo when clicking play if needed)
4) Foobar2000 ver0.91 to combine the wav files and generate a cuesheet
5) Wavpack 4.31 to compress the single wav file

Fb2k 0.91 seems to have problems writing the 24/192 wav (2.7gb) file though. It keeps messing up the last track in John Coltrane - Blue Trane although the generated cuesheet looks fine. ver 0.83 with diskwriter and cuesheet output solves the problem. The above steps should produce a single compressed file with its cuesheet.

Enjoy!

How to grab DVD-Audio?

Reply #304
I found a way how to decode MLP files without DVDAtools.

1. Install DiscWelder Chrome (it supports MLP). It works without activation for 15 days.
2. Set the temp folder.
3. Import only one MLP file you want to decode
4. Enable creating DVD Video compatible discs (it's somewhere in project propeties)
5. Start the job

The program decodes MLP files to 6 24 bit WAV files in temp folder, and then prepares the DVD Video authoring. Copy temp WAV files to another folder.

How to grab DVD-Audio?

Reply #305
1. Install DiscWelder Chrome (it supports MLP). You can found it on various torrent sites or p2p. It works without activation for 15 days.

This is a T.O.S #9 violation right here or something along those lines. 
budding I.T professional

How to grab DVD-Audio?

Reply #306
Hi everybody,

I've read all posts in this topic, and just like some people I can't get dvdaripper to function.
I'm using WinDVD 7.0.27.71 (with the DVD-Audio pack installed) and an Audigy 2 sound card.

A DVD containing DVD-Audio (the quadrophonic mix of Pink Floyd's The Dark Side Of The Moon) is in drive e:

Now, when I type dvdaripper e:\audio_ts c:\rip WinDVD starts to play the DVD-Audio but no wavs are written to c:\rip.

Am I using the wrong WinDVD-version? Am I missing something? Can anybody give a hint?

How to grab DVD-Audio?

Reply #307
Now, when I type dvdaripper e:\audio_ts c:\rip WinDVD starts to play the DVD-Audio but no wavs are written to c:\rip.

Am I using the wrong WinDVD-version? Am I missing something? Can anybody give a hint?

Try uninstalling Creative's DVD-audio player that installs with the Audigy.

How to grab DVD-Audio?

Reply #308

Try uninstalling Creative's DVD-audio player that installs with the Audigy.

Thanks for your reply, but I don't have the Creative DVD-audio player installed...

Help anybody?

How to grab DVD-Audio?

Reply #309
It won't work if the folder doesn't exist already, is that your problem?

I have a question of my own.  How can you figure out the bitrate of the DVD-A tracks?  None of my discs say bitrate, but instead say "High resolution" or "Advanced resolution"

Edit:  Never mind, apparently DVDAexplorer can tell me that.

kaiwei,  is there any reason you're ripping to 6 audio files and then combining them to one rather than using a multichannel wave from the start, and then fixing them in WaveWizard?

How to grab DVD-Audio?

Reply #310
i recently bought a couple DVD-A albums and i've been playing them on my computer, listening with headphones with the surround sound option. i've noticed it seems like there's a channel missing on occasion when an instrument will pan around. is this a problem of my dvd player (plextor px-708A), my soundcard (onboard AC 97), or my headphones (sennheiser PX100)? or a combo? i'd like to rip the surround audio (i've set up all the programs and such that i've seen people recommend in this thread) and i'm wondering what i need to get/change in order to hear everything.

How to grab DVD-Audio?

Reply #311
hi

randal1013 i was wondering how you listen to the multichannel content with headphones. are you using some kind of dsp in foobar? i have an x-fi platinum card, which can make alot of audio processing on-board. is there any way to have it emulate surround using all 6 channels of the audio?

Thomas

How to grab DVD-Audio?

Reply #312
randal1013 i was wondering how you listen to the multichannel content with headphones. are you using some kind of dsp in foobar? i have an x-fi platinum card, which can make alot of audio processing on-board. is there any way to have it emulate surround using all 6 channels of the audio?

i've been using windvd7. as far as i can tell, foobar can't read DVD-A. i don't know how to get full surround sound. i just remembered my onboard soundcard has a few bells and whistles, and one of them is a 6-channel mode for 5.1 speaker output. i've also updated the firmware for my dvd player and at least one channel still isn't getting played. i tried my roomate's $100+ sony headphones and the channel is still missing. either both our headphones can't play 5.1 or my dvd player can't read it. i've been looking through online documentation and i can't find anything about the headphones and dvd player supporting or not supporting 5.1.

How to grab DVD-Audio?

Reply #313
I dont really se how you intend to play 5.1 sound using a normal set of stereo headphones. what i meant  is that there are processing technology available which which is able to simulate surround sound using a pair of stereo headphones. it works by somehow by delaying the same sound a fraction of time, compared to other channels

Is there anybody able to clear op on this subject?

Thomas

How to grab DVD-Audio?

Reply #314
I dont really se how you intend to play 5.1 sound using a normal set of stereo headphones. what i meant  is that there are processing technology available which which is able to simulate surround sound using a pair of stereo headphones. it works by somehow by delaying the same sound a fraction of time, compared to other channels

i just found a DSP for foobar. ATSurround Prcoessor. you can convert ripped 5.1 waves using this DSP to simulate surround sound.

How to grab DVD-Audio?

Reply #315
ok ill give it a try, thanks

How to grab DVD-Audio?

Reply #316
1. Install DiscWelder Chrome (it supports MLP). It works without activation for 15 days.

Is there a way get only the main application to work without all the drivers (GEAR, USB dongle). I'm afraid to wreck my stable system by attempting to install these. DiscWelder doesn't need to physcially weld anything in this case.

Edit: Installed DiscWelder Chrome without drivers. I deleted all drivers and their uninstallers from the directory of the InstallShield installer (before running it). Setup complained a few times, but that's all. Chrome is working properly as far as audio decoding and AC3 encoding goes.

Edit 2: Unfortunately it still installed GEAR registry entries, and made my optical drives invisible upon restart. I hate software which comes distributed in installers and requires an installer.

How to grab DVD-Audio?

Reply #317

Is there anybody able to clear op on this subject?

Thomas

To play 5.1 on stereo headphones you must either
1) Perform a direct downmix from 5.1 to 2 channels by merging the channels.
2) Simulate "fake" 5.1 using various algorigthms like Dolby Headphone or Creative CMSS3D Headphone.
For Dolby Headphone use powerdvd and choose it there.

For Creative CMSS3d u need an Audigy or X-Fi card. Then in your player choose 6 channel speaker mode, but in the creative config choose headphones and enable the CMSS3d.

Personally i find that Dolby Headphone ownz CMSS3D for music. But in games the combination of EAX+CMSS3d is better.

How to grab DVD-Audio?

Reply #318
I have a question of my own.  How can you figure out the bitrate of the DVD-A tracks?  None of my discs say bitrate, but instead say "High resolution" or "Advanced resolution"

Edit:  Never mind, apparently DVDAexplorer can tell me that.

WinDVD (6.0 B06.083 is the version I use) can also give you that information. With a track playing, right-click in the display window.  This opens a large submenu; select 'Setup' , then select the "Information" tab.  It will show you lots of data, among which will be something like this (this happens to be for a stereo DVD-A track):

Code: [Select]
Audio:
    Hardware:
        Audio Device: directsound
        S/PDIF: None
        Number of speakers: 2
    Stream:
        Type: Packed PCM
        Bitrate: 4608 Kbps
        Number of main channels: 2
        LFE Channel: None
        Sampling Frequency: 96khz
        Bits Per Sample: 24
    Output:
        Sample Rate: 48 KHz
        Bits per Sample: 16

If you are using PPCMRipper with a decrypted source, the data will be saved in the format shown in 'Stream' (96/24 in this case). The Output format is what's coming out of your (my) speakers from WinDVD -- I suspect WinDVD 6 doesn't do 24 bit output, even though it can decode 24 files.  I've noticed too that the output sample rate always seems to be half the source rate (as long as that's above 48 khz), so for a 192 kHz source I see 96 in the Output report.

How to grab DVD-Audio?

Reply #319
More musings on DVDA ripping....

I do the usual thing:
1) create repository folder(s) somewhere on my hard drive
2) load disc; check DVD-A stereo file format with WinDVD; then close WinDVD
3) run DVDAripper.exe  to extract decrypted files to the folders I created
4) burn the extracted files to a DVD ISO image (I use CDBurnerXP Pro)
5) mount the image with DaemonTools
6) run PPCMripper.exe; select virtual drive and 'stereo' tracks in WinDVD (also make sure 96/24 decoding is active) ; save wavs
7) compress with FLAC; archive; play back with foobar2k

I've tried half a dozen now and have encountered various quirks and roadblocks.  I should note too that thus far I've only been interested in making copies of the stereo tracks, for archiving on my hard disc jukebox. 
Not interested in the video at all, though I sometimes have to grab that too (see below).  Am a bit daunted by the prospect of archiving and playing multichannel audio, but that must happen eventually, as it's too convenient for me to pass up forever.

Reports on individual discs (usually referring to the stereo tracks only):

Steely Dan Everything Must Go (192/24, though the packaging says 96/24) was my learning curve disc, but once I got the above pipeline running, I was able to grab it flawlessly...and to see that there is actually some 'bad' peak limiting (13 samples wide or more) on a Steely Dan release !  How times have changed....    Also, not much energy above 48 , just a few spikes.

Neil Young's Harvest (192/24) also came off without a hitch.  THis one has such a peculiar surround mix that I really just like it for the stereo remastering and the hilarious vintage documentary footage of NY and his barn.  Btw, no peak limiting on the stereo tracks on this one; not even much evidence of compression.  Pretty old school!  And again, spectral view shows hardly any energy above 48 kHz in the stereo mix.

Yes Fragile (96/24) -- as reported before, the surround tracks have been pretty obviously limited to a 24 kHz , even though they are formatted as 96khz sample rate.  I can't imagine it matters much.  The stereo tracks (also 96/24, despite the claim on the package of 192/24) have energy to 48 khz, but  it's way down in level.  Huge amounts of compression on this one (stereo) -- Roundabout is like a fuzzy brick for much of its length -- but no true flat peaks that I can see.  Tips of peaks go right up to 0 dB instead.  Looks very mcuh the same as what I got when I recorded the analog stereo output of the DVD-A  to 96/24 wav via my  M-Audio 2496 card.

Deep Purple Machine Head (96/24).  To get this one to work, I had to rip both the AUDIO_TS and the VIDEO_TS folders and include them in the ISO image, maybe because you have to go through two damn graphics (one with sound) to get to the menus.  Once I did that PPCMripper/WinDVD worked fine (even though WinDVD will NOT play the DVD-A section of the original disc itself, for some reason).  Haven't really looked at the wavs for spectral content yet.

Talking Heads Speaking in Tongues (DualDisc 96/24). This one stumped me for some time.  As with Machine Head, the DVD-A tracks from the disc won't play in WinDVD, but including audio and video folders in the ISO didn't fix it.  All I get is a hissing noise from what should be music tracks.  PPCMripper doesn't even try to rip them when I load the ISO.  I finally realized that, according to WinDVD, the audio tracks aren't PPCM, they're LPCM  (Machine Head's read as PPCM, as do the Neil Young, Yes, and Dan tracks).  So I'm probably SOL.  The stereo Dolby Digital tracks are AC3; I mention this only because....

Al Green Greatest Hits (48/24).  THis disc is notorious in the DVD-A listening world for being badly authored.  It stumped many an early DVD-A player, requiring creative navigation on the user's part to actually get it to play music.  It stumps WinDVD 6 too, until you manuallyk navigate to Group 06, whereupon you can select from the stereo tracks.  Why can I do this with Al Green but not Talking Heads?  It seems to be because on the Al Green disc, the 48/24 stereo tracks are the ONLY stereo tracks; they're accessible from the DVD-V area too, along with DTS 5.1 and DD 5.1.  THis is not necessarily a bad thing, it's just a confusing thing.  But alas they are LPCM , not PPCM, so PPCM ripper refuses to even see them.  I was able to grab them with DGIndex though.  Not really sure it was worth it.  (And yes, I then tried DGIindex on the Talking Heads image, and no, it didn't work for grabbing those LPCM tracks).

Billy Cobham Spectrum (96/24) -- this is a two-sided disc, one side is devoted to the Advanced Res Stereo tracks, making life easier...or not, since WinDVD refuses to play it correctly from the start.  Digging into the  navigation menu brings me to Group 04, track 7, which is the track selection menu.  Oy vey, turns out the tracks are LPCM.  At this point, I quit this disc to regroup and attack another day.

Queen Night at the Opera ( 96/24 )  Another infamous nightmare disc (thank you so much, DVD-A makers, for never standardizing DVD-A authoring; it really keeps things interesting).  Black screen after loading the disc; navigating to group 02 reveals the track list, which fortunately seems to be the STEREO tracklist, but it's a craphsoot whether anything will actually play (the first track link seems to work....but loads all 12 tracks as one long play) .  And oh look, the tracks are LPCM, not PPCM, isn't that special.  Save for tomorrow.

I note too that WinDVD seems to be cutting me off at 30 secs of play on various discs...not a good sign. Luckily it seems not to apply to ripping the AOBs from disc and .wavs from ISO images...

How to grab DVD-Audio?

Reply #320
I'm having the same problem as someone else earlier on the page, only I'm using WinDVD5 instead of 6 (can't find 6.) I type dvdaripper e:\audio_ts c:\blah (c:\blah is already created)... it launches WinDVD and begins to play (actually, right now it's playing Lateralus in my CD drive even though I told it to access the Complex in my DVD drive). IN the console window it says "waiting for WinDVD add-on load completion. Attaching to GPIProxy. GPIProxy is version 3.2.77.0" and just sits there; no data is written to my hard drive. I've already told WinDVD to decode 24-bit 96KHZ audio. What am I doing wrong? Actually, I can't evn get WinDVD to play the DVD-Audio part at *all*; even when I point at the right DVD I'm pretty sure it's just playing the DVD-video content rather than the audio. Also, to make sure I understand this right--if I decrypt the .aob files with DVDARipper, then extract the .MLP with DVDA Explorer, I can use Creative's player to play hte .MLPs and not have to deal with PPCRipper? Is there any other software player that can decode .MLP?

How to grab DVD-Audio?

Reply #321
Is there any other software player that can decode .MLP?

There is a (very expensive) commercial application for DVD-A authoring called "DiscWelder Chrome". It will decode MLP files to PCM Wav.

How to grab DVD-Audio?

Reply #322
The REM Greatest Hitts DVD-A ripped fine, but a Foo Fighters DVD-A has a spash screen that blocks me.
It's due for a good DEGAUSSIN'

How to grab DVD-Audio?

Reply #323
There is a (probably equally expensive) proffessional app called Surcode MLP that can also sort of decode MLPs (through a workaround).

Workaround: You first have to have a set of dummy wavs, one for each channel the mlp you want to decode has. The trick is to set the options so that the app, after an encode, does a test decode, which makes it writes was to disk. You first encode your dummies, then before you hit "ok" for the decode/test process to start, you swap the dummy mlp you just produced with the one you want to decode. Hit ok, temporary wavs will be produced and the app will report a failed test (duh). Before you hit "ok", copy those wavs and there you have it, a decoded MLP track.

I've generally had good luck with this method. I can't say too much here (see TOS 9), but surcode is definitely available through a torrent of bits.

How to grab DVD-Audio?

Reply #324
I note too that WinDVD seems to be cutting me off at 30 secs of play on various discs...not a good sign. Luckily it seems not to apply to ripping the AOBs from disc and .wavs from ISO images...

It's probably because of watermarking.  make sure to use the 'w' switch.
It's due for a good DEGAUSSIN'